Prayers for Texas

Again, thank you for allowing us a space to discuss it, because o think that is also important. And for sure, I think we’ve got a pretty respectful group.

Sorry strong, thats not the answer. There is a need, and they save way more lives than they take.

I don’t want to get political either, but banning any firearm doesn’t change anything. The means are there and far more efficient means at that. Very easy means to do catastrophic damage. Something i pray never happens again.

3 Likes

Sorry rw, that’s not the answer either. Have you looked at the number of mass shootings in countries where guns are outlawed?
I don’t see them making up for it with poisons or whatever other means are there for mass destruction.
Something I hope never happens either.

3 Likes

I can appreciate that, and I’m not saying I know the answer or that is the right answer either. But I hope you can also understand my frustration with a seemingly simple solution when no other solutions are offered or implemented.

I appreciate the reply and I know my thought isn’t the “right” answer, but dammit if anyone has done anything else to prevent these things from happening on a regular basis.

So no offense taken and also no political stuff taken or implied, again I do appreciate the reply. My question is what are the more efficient means to prevent this from happening again and again?

Banning guns would of course help. But that’s not realistic. Guns are ingrained in the DNA of this country and one of the major political parties in our two party system is married to the gun lobby.

What we should all be able to agree on is reinvesting in mental health facilities, music, arts, positive messaging, social safety nets…

Remember the 70’s where we seemed to be moving to a real idealistic cultural shift. What the hell happened?

1 Like

Some will want to board up schools like they are jails. And arm all the teachers. Great way to bring up kids! I don’t know the answer either, its really frustrating though, seeing what an outlier the US is when compared to all other civilized, developed countries.

4 Likes

That’s my thing, all the other countries on par or better than the US don’t have this problem. Why can’t we address this problem? And it 100% is a problem!

1 Like

Show me the coutrirs, the population, etc. You want to compare one of the largest nations and most populated to much smaller countries and those countries have mass killings.

Gun crime and shootings have been dropping for decades here, while gun sales went through the roof, well till the defend the police movement.

You think in this country, with a deranged killer who wants to kill as many as possible he/she doesn’t make explosives? Drive through a crowd? Amongst a littany of other avenues? These things have been done already, you take away a right, a constitutional right at that, on hopes and dreams. The problem is still there, they will use different more effective means.

Again guns save far more lives a yr than they take, it’s not even close.

I also want to acknowledge the Sandy Hook parents, who are likely reliving everything today.

This is a reminder to them that each of their children died—brutally—in vain, because politicians refused to act and society simply moved on.

In fact, they had their pain and memories of their children trampled on by sociopaths who suggested their kids were “crisis actors.” It’s why anyone who would dare suggest that here would get a permanent ban. If you think that way, you are not welcomed here. At all.

11 Likes

Fix the heart and you fix the problem…

Anything else will simply make it worse… lost souls hurt others… not much else ….

You all know where I stand

5 Likes

How do we protect those we want to protect? We do it for sporting events, we do it for private and oublic citizens. It’s not a difficult answer, and creating soft targets, and ignorant gun free zones, is a problem. Gun free zones are proven to be a bad idea, where the overwhelming majority of this stuff happens

1 Like

Also the families in Oxford. It’s tragic, gut wrenching and maddening

3 Likes

This slice of logic is 100% spot on: those wanting to hurt other know where to go and do it with minimal resistance…

“No Guns” screams to those that hate and kill

2 Likes

At this point I’m tapped out. 79% of homicides in this country are gun related.

However, Congress has become so polarized, they’ve lost the ability to do anything!! It can’t just be about banning guns, but it can’t be about doing nothing either.

We too often focus on these kind of tragic events, but Cook county (Chicago) had 1,022 gun related homicides in 2021.

The ease at which someone can obtain a gun (legally or otherwise) in combination with what appears to be a non-value of human life is a bad combination.

They have? That is a statistical fact?

I agree having guns has saved lives. But also having guns has destroyed lives.

Yes mass murders have occurred in other countries. But not at the rate here. We have one every week.

Nope.
Real bonafide controlled research on gun violence is outlawed in the U.S. That’s a big part of the problem. Stories like this get weaved by the gun lobby. Don’t believe it.

I’m signing off, because I don’t think I’ll change your mind. Peace. We all come from a different place. And no one is 100% right on everything. Even me. LOL.

5 Likes

Yes its a statistical fact.

It’s easily verifiable through CDC, DoJ, FBI.

3 Likes

Reinvesting in mental health is absolutely a huge issue and thank you for mentioning it.

Because it makes no money and is considered more of a drain on the healthcare system than anything else, it’s been destroyed.

Treating schizophrenia doesn’t make the same amount of money as cardiovascular, brain surgery, etc.

The mental health hospital in Northville, MI getting shut down in the 90s was a microcosm of that issue. I agree, mental health gets zero attention because it doesn’t “make” money.

4 Likes

Love your pure heart and intentions, brother.

The “unbroken”/good Americans outweigh the bad my millions to one.

Sending love to the families. I saw it while on the treadmill today, and have to be honest, my instinct was to fight (even though there’s nothing to fight). My mind went back to when I was a classroom teacher and envisioning that happening at one of the schools I worked at.

We can do better, for sure.

There are a million answers to help/reduce this sort of thing. We can do more.

Ok, I’ll believe you. But when mass shootings are happening on a bi-weekly basis I find it hard to justify or appreciate whatever data they are showing.

Because people are still getting killed at an alarming rate by guns, whether in inner cities, mass shootings, etc.

2 Likes