Pre-season game thoughts good and bad

• Got out fairly healthy
  • Clean game/ low penalties
  • 1st string offense looked good
  • Play calling looked good
  • Back up QB’s are bad - Blough should be #2, at least he shows some moxie. Definite need to upgrade next year.
  • Players that disappointed - Brockers looks average at best, Barnes still struggles with gap assignments, Benson had some moments but is underwhelming, Jefferson looked anything but special. Personally I think we have better options at each of these positions and with the exception of Barnes I would consider each as a camp cut.
  • Players that were encouraging - J Davis missed a few plays early but settled in and looked like one of the best defenders on the field. Rodriquez showed why he is moving up the depth chart and Pittman looked pretty good. Hutch showed he will be disruptive but also showed his inexperience. He lost contain several times but how can you not be excited about him. Alim showed good penetration on a few plays but it was for nothing because we lost containment. Okudah gave up a completion but looked serviceable overall (a big improvement) although I did not see him tested deep. Joseph was around the ball a lot. Once he stops thinking and just reacts he should be good. Chase lucas looks like a great pickup for a 7th rounder. Buggs looks like a good pickup. Funchess looked good - not sure we have a spot for him but he could be a really good matchup problem.
  • A few other players that did not impress - Hughes looked out of position often. Our backup OL has a few problems - Nelson looked slow which is disappointing and Stenberg looked overwhelmed.

I think the containment problem will improve dramatically with game planning. We also were not playing our full starting roster on defense. I dont think Amani played, Anzalone did not play (while he is not great he is much more gap disciplined than Barnes). While the offense is pretty settled the defense is still figuring out the starting 11. Once that is settled I believe we will see more consistent play.

It was an entertaining game to watch which can’t be said for a lot of pre-season games. Just my 2 cents!

12 Likes

He also got blown off the ball on a couple run plays. I want him to take the next step, I’m hoping he can. Because at that size you can’t be trying to make a tackle 8 yards from the LOS because you got pushed all the way back there.

2 Likes

You didn’t mention Wes Welker… I mean Tom Kennedy.

9 Likes

yeah - It seemed to me the defensive scheme was a little confusing. I get the “attack” mode but you have to be able to shed, stack and make plays in the run game even when attacking. Every play is not a pass play but the DL attacked like it was. I am hoping this is just learning the scheme and can be corrected fairly quickly.

3 Likes

Kennedy looked great - should make the team over Benson at this point.

11 Likes

Good:
starting offense looked great.
WR depth impressed me
Aidan looks like a difference maker

Bad:
LBers were too anxious to get downhill amd lost gap integrity too often.
Tackling was still meh ag best.
OL depth scares the crap out of me
QB: don’t have a legit NFL backup QB
Appears that mobile QBs may give us fits

12 Likes

He just has a knack of getting open. I’d like to see him get some reps not in garbage time.

8 Likes

It is super noticeable how quickly WR went from laughable to a legit strength for this team. It’s impressive

13 Likes

I’m actually not that worried about that. We made Lamer Jackson and Kyler Murray both look pretty bad last year. We didn’t use any strategy today to spy the QB.

8 Likes

Yeah - I actually think we have the speed on defense to effectively shut down mobile QB’s if we game plan for them. I am more concerned about power run games bullying us and wearing us down.

12 Likes

Maybe it’s just rust. It was a big problem today even when our starters were out there.

One of the “good” points was just how solid the OL play was. I almost can’t believe the Detroit Lions have a good offensive line, but it’s legit good. My brain still has trouble processing it lol

6 Likes

Benson can be a gunner and I think they’d like him to win the KR spot. TK doesn’t add anything else and is hence likely just a third team slot WR which probably equates to a practice squad spot.

4 Likes

I think part of that was Hutch. He was highly disruptive but he gave up contain on several plays. I am sure he will fix it as run game containment is part of the his strength. He looks like a homerun, but this was his first NFL action.

2 Likes

I thought Maurice Alexander played really well. 0 linebackers impressed. The starting Oline was dominate. The starting offense overall looked good. Aiden was impressive. Lot of missed tackles. Austin Bryant was involved. The OL depth is troubling.

4 Likes

I get that and am sure that is their hope. But Benson looks unenergetic on return duty and had several lapses as a WR. 1 great play does not erase multiple average or bad plays in my opinion. I think DC will keep the best players and right now Kennedy is night and day better than Benson.

3 Likes

I didn’t think Rodriguez had a particularly good game, esp against the run. He wasn’t reacting like i know he can.

Didn’t know Funchess was out all that time - basicaly the last three years. I thought Brock Wright and Funchess showed up at TE.

A little disappointed in Craig Reynolds and Jefferson…both missed some cuts.

We made Mariota look really good.

4 Likes

This was a far cry from watching Matty P’s pre-season teams!

3 Likes

Less impactful than I was hoping for but still showed better than some of the other LB’s - especially as a 5th round rookie.

2 Likes

6th round, but the point is taken.

2 Likes