Pre-season game thoughts good and bad

Run contain was rough but thats fixable.

1 Like

If Benson is figured to add ~20 plays (mostly ST) and is the #3 deep WR with Cephus out, he is more likely to be kept than #3 Slot receiver not expected to play much on special teams.

It’s the same discussion as keeping only 2 QBs. 3rd string QB vs player that contributes. It’s a luxury the Lions can’t afford and can sign these guys back if they suffer injuries.

1 Like

in the past NFL draft, didn’t 2 Geo Bulldogs defensive players slip down in the draft? A monster DT and a MIKE backer?

I think either would have really helped.

Goff wasn’t playing today…but…he found out the O-line was playing and told MC/DC he was taking some snaps.

Goff is a football player and I’m damn proud he is a Lion.

I posted at the timestamp when Decker revealed this info. He said all the O-line was “fired up” when they found out.

12 Likes

Barnes reminds me of early J Davis. He seems to freelance a lot and looks good when he guesses right. I remember one play where he didn’t guess right and we got gashed by a run. I initially thought Rodrigo over ran it, but later looked like Barnes missed his assignment.

4 Likes

I didn’t see the whole game but my 3 main takeaways are that the first unit offense looked sharp, first unit defense looked horrible and they need to find a spot for Kennedy.

6 Likes

Our 1st team offense looked good. Wr and RB depth is solid. We are in serious trouble injuries up front. On defense, our entire 1st team looks bad… just like last year. Hutch had a few nice plays though. I just think he’s not going to have any help. The front looks soft. Especially considering how many resources Holmes has used. 2 2nd rounders, a 3rd and a trade for brockers in addition to hutch. Our linebackers had zero instincts. Rodriguez can hit… so a little hope there. Barnes is a non factor. Our backfield really couldn’t cover all game. I know it’s just one preseason game… but watching them kind of helped confirm who they were last year as well…
but with the improvements we saw offensively by the end .The hope for improvement I think is going to rest on the health of our offensive starters.

2 Likes

He did? Which plays? Had Boyle not missed him he would’ve had two 20+ yard receptions. Kennedy just saw unreal volume once Blough was in there. He’s admittedly a very productive preseason NFL WR I just think Benson gives you kore upside, special teams help and positional flexibility.

Not so sure we will game plan for Mobile QBs Tonight was not way they will play against mobile Qbs they will have a spy often. Overal was ok game the D still allows to much on simple runs plays but first live action. We should see better D Line play Brocker’s is done IMO

2 Likes

Disagree I think he lost ground on making the final 53…Cephus is way better than Benson an has proven it in regular games. I would keep Pimpleton over Benson. Now it was just one game but he shouldn’t get many more chances …it seems like he is a camp player but real games disappears Benson

7 Likes

Oh I’d definitely take Cephus over Benson. I don’t think that’s much of a question. I think Benson only makes it bc Jamo is going to start the season on a reserve list. I just prefer Benson over Kennedy.

Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

Yup - these were surprises for me. I was like who TF is this wascaly wabbit?

3 Likes

Yup!

Yup - agree. Also, imagine if Davis had fantastic coaching. This could tun up very differently.

100 times out of 100!

1 Like

We probably won’t see all 5 starters on the Oline for every snap this year, but thankfully we probably will never see all 5 backups in a game at once either.

4 Likes

Good for Goff for wanting to play in this game. I think sometimes his lack of a fiery personality gets his reputation dinged as being soft and not a winner or a leader. It appears his decision to play got the attention of some of his teammates, which is a great way to start building team confidence and camaraderie.

8 Likes

I didn’t watch the whole game but the first series defense, AJ Parker looked bad. I counted three missed tackles on his part.

Any injuries to note?

I would definitely agree with some of the comments that we did not game plan at all for mobile QBs. You can see how aggressive this defense was and my guess is Glenn just wanted to see how they looked playing our new style regardless of opponent. They were constantly running to far up the field and leaving the middle wide open or breaking contain on the edge.

If your playing Tom Brady or Kirk Cousins that is probably fine, but Rodgers would make you pay. We had quite a bit of success against mobile QBs last year so I’m not overly concerned.

Overall the defense definitely worried me. Now this was extremely vanilla so I won’t get overly excited about it, but our first team defense was a joke against potentially the worst offense in the league.

I’ve officially had my fill of preseason now, give me regular season games.

7 Likes

May have Hutched through all my daily allotted “likes” on this thread by 5:35AM.

3 Likes

Mariotta won’t last 4 games this year. We didn’t game plan for a mobile QB so I can understand some of the issues. Unfortunately, they better have an answer for it when the Eagles come into town week one.

Loved what I saw on offense and Hutch!

3 Likes

Fox needs to get a little more hang time, he is out kicking the coverage