Predicting the next Lions Pro Bowler

This thread highlights why the Lions have a shot in 2021. This is a great question.

The Lions need to win first. If we lose hard in 2021 we are looking at a Ragnow, Hock and Fox Pro Bowl trio again. But if the Lions win…who else gets in? Rookies are unlikely to make it in unless Sewell is that good. On offense he is the best bet.

If the Lions do win games that means that this defense is not horrific. To me that means Trey Flowers came to play. He is my first choice.

2 Likes

Goff has made it before. Maybe he’ll go again and Stafford could be the alternate again.

2 Likes

Honestly my money is on Swift. I think the Lions could have a top 10 run game this year and I think Swift could have 1500 + all purpose yards.

2 Likes

On a tangent @Air2theThrown, if you’re bullish on Swift and the running game, are you also bullish on the Lions offense as a whole, and their ability to control the clock and how that might change the defenses fortunes too?

1 Like

I would have selected Swift too except for the presence of Jamaal Williams. I think the Lions want depth here and I think each of these guys will get a lot of playing time.

To me Trey Flowers is a forgotten man. This guy is an impact player. He changes games with great plays. He is smart. If he can get help from the DTs teams need to watch out for our DL. Romeo is looking like a bad ass too. If Brockers has game left this DL has a shot at being pretty damn good and Flowers :bouquet: ACA big part of that.

I am surprised no one mentioned Okudah yet. If the DL plays better Jeffery Okudah is well-positioned to because me a great player here too.

1 Like

I’d be all kinds of fired up if JJ could pass Williams on the depth chart. Williams is a good backup, IMO. Big drop-off from Swift to him. JJ has a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, IMO.

Yup - Flowers is a good player AND a good dude. Really solid, very masculine presence. He’s a really good silent leader type. Wondering what happens with him after this season, what he looks like with help, and what he looks like in a system that wasn’t drawn up by a 4 year old.

2 Likes

Throw in the Rag. Now.

Also, my man JACK FOX.

1 Like

Money!

Not a big fan of our WR’s. I wish we had slightly better. My concern is that they could be drive killers for us but….

If they can be just good enough to force teams to be honest and not allow them to stack the LBers in the box. And just good enough to keep safeties honest and from cheating up. And just good enough to slow the zone blitz then I like our offenses chances because….

I really think we have the people in place to have a top 10 run game. If we can and our defense can improve from a HS level defense to a near average level NFL defense then I think we can win more than we lose … in-spite of the WR’s.

I really think we could surprise some people if our WR’s can do that and our run game lives up to it’s potential.

2 Likes

I like Williams he’s a solid player but I think Swift (if healthy) will be hard to keep on the bench. I suspect he will get plenty of snaps even when Williams is in. I suspect he will be a big factor in our receiving game. So I expect to see him at times out in the slot or part of a two back set.

2 Likes

As you know I’m a big fan of JJ and I do think it’s possible he could surprise a lot of fans.

However my guess is they keep him on the bench and bring him in as a change of pace back. At least until they are comfortable with his ability to at pick up his blocking assignments. Mostly I think he will be depth in his rookie season. But if he shows his stuff early on he could really eat into Williams carries. He has serious potential.

1 Like

Right on… I feel pretty much the same way. I fully realize that according to conventional wisdom, our WR room doesn’t strike fear in anyone’s hearts. But I do like how Holmes constructed it. Anyone can argue that these guys have not performed with huge seasons; fairly steady. However, speed kills. The WR does not just have 1 speed guy, but 3-4. Opposing defenses might have serious problems covering that speed with typical personnel. Obviously, I have no idea how it will actually translate to the field, but the Lions WR has more speed than its had in a few years.

2 Likes

That’s the millions dollar question. Can they be just good enough.

Here’s the thing. They don’t need to be world beaters. Look at the 2020 Steelers for example.

They had 4100 yards passing as a team.

Diontae Johnson (2019 3rd round pick) was their leading WR with 923 yards.

Chase Claypool (2020 2nd rd) had 873
Juju had 831 yards
Ebron had 558 yrds

Then after them no one else broke 400 yards.

I think the Lions will be similar. I think Goff has around 4100-4200 yards passing and I suspect our top WR will have less than 900 yards but I could see something like this

T. Williams - 750 yards
Hock - 700 yards
Shift - 550 yards
Brown - 500 yards
Cephus - 500
Perriman - 400
Fells - 300
Raymond - 250
J. Williams 200

If we can do something like that and keep defenses honest then I like our chances.

1 Like

I also like the fact that they have 3 speed guys… because it provides some insurance in the event of injuries. They will still have a guy that can keep the safeties honest.

2 Likes