PSA: Anyone that likes George Karlaftis PLEASE READ

Can all of you please go watch his Ohio State game film and report back a single good play you saw?

Hutchinson dominated the OSU O-line and Karlaftis was nowhere to be seen. In fact most of Penn State’s good defenders were making plays against them too.

Actually, he wasn’t nowhere to be seen…

He can be seen here making a dumbass decision and vacating his gap which gives up this touchdown run

Or here…

I can’t find a clip of just the one play, but he can be seen half-assing this tackle attempt against my guy Garrett Wilson on one of his 4 touchdowns.

Or just kind of sitting there processing everything while a jet sweep for 50 yards is being ran in front of his freaking face.

He might destroy Nebraska and Northwestern, but give this guy talent on the other side and you can’t tell he’s on the field.

I am not a big fan of Karlaftis as a top 10 pick from what I have seen so far… but this is an interesting contradiction here.

On 1 play… you criticize him for leaving his gap (even we don’t know the defensive call and can’t know if he was supposed to be 2-gapping, in B gap, or in C gap)….

But then… he plays his gap on the jet sweep, has no chance to suddenly get 2 yards deeper into backfield as Wilson has a running start, the rest of the Purdue defense fails to set an edge outside of him, and the safety doesn’t get close to filling the alley because he was super slow to read the play.
Wilson didn’t run near his gap here… so why would this play be his fault???

2 Likes

I suppose that’s fair.

But to anyone else. Find me one good play he made in this game please?

I’d much rather have Leal than Karlaftis if we’re talking plan B defenders.

1 Like