QB Plan for '23+'24?

It’s really exciting to be in the Playoff Hunt this late in the season. Goff has really surprised me this year. I was assuming a QB in Round1 in '23, but not so sure now.

I think this team has what it takes to compete for Division in '23 and beyond. Obviously, QB plays a huge part. After reviewing all NFL, and upcoming College QB’s, I compiled a list of who I would rather have than Goff.

My list takes into consideration of the following:

• For '23–'24 only
  • Injury Risk
  • Finance/Cap/Contract
  • Stability/Potential with other current players

QB’s I would rather have:

Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen
Joe Burrow
Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert
Justin Fields
Jalen Hurts
Trevor Lawrence

QB’s I would rather stick with Goff:

Russell Wilson
Davis Mills
Matt Ryan
Derek Carr
Mac Jones
Zac Wilson
Mike White
Kenny Pickett
Ryan Tannehill
Desmond Ridder
Kyler Murray
Sam Darnold
Aaron Rodgers
Matthew Stafford
Kirk Cousins
Andy Dalton
Daniel Jones
Brock Purdy
Trey Lance
Jimmy Garoppolo
Geno Smith
Tom Brady
Taylor Heinicke
Any Rookie:
CJ Stroud
Bryce Young
Will Levis
Anthony Richardson

Fence:
Dak Prescott
Deshaun Watson
Tua Tagovailoa

So, at least in my opinion, roll with Goff, at least for '23, and see what happens. Don’t draft a high round QB, but maybe take a flyer on one in rounds 3-7, hope to hit. I just don’t see any of these rookie highly regarded qb’s worth the picks.

If Goff regresses in '23, then use a first rounder in '24 for a stud QB, cause our record will most likely be terrible if Goff stinks.

Just curious what others think. Am I overvaluing Goff at this point? After reviewing, I was surprised myself to have Goff Top 10, as far as my criteria listed.

3 Likes

I would happily stick with Goff but also draft a qb between rounds 2-4 the next two years just to get some talent behind him.

1 Like

How can you want to breakup this group?

8 Likes

You lost me when you said you’d rather have Fields than Goff. Fields has fumbled 27 times and thrown 20 INT’s in 25 career games and is a terrible passer. All he can do is run, and that trick doesn’t last long.

I could see Fields changing positions at some point in the future. He’d probably make a darn good WR.

21 Likes

this i where i am. and if the value is there with our second first round pick, i might even use that, but only if there’s great value (AR, Levis, etc.). Other than that. i pretty much agree with your list, except for Fields and maybe one or two others. Too bad we couldn’t protect Stafford like we’re protecting Goff. With the OL line we have now, I’m not sure TB12 or ARog would be below Goff, but that would only be a one or two year thing.

1 Like

Yea that one stuck out to me as well. As weird as the general media has been not giving Goff credit they are heaping praise on Fields for being basically a RB trying to play QB

6 Likes

A running back trying to break every fumble record possible, lol

1 Like

The Athletic whom I think we all agree is a cut above the sea of talking heads has Goff ranked number four overall

2 Likes

wow. that’s the highest rank i’ve ever seen for Goff.

2 Likes

23 Goff
25 Goff
27 Goff

Until proven otherwise! :crazy_face::+1::upside_down_face::heart::pray:

Drafting a QB is terms of what year and where in the draft is leaderships job imho….

Let’s just beat the Panthers first this Sunday!!!

3 Likes

Maybe so on Fields. I just wonder how much better he would look with a ARSB and a healthy Chark to throw to. Also a better Oline, like ours. Would he then not have to rely on running so much?

We can’t read his mind….

Right now, I simply love Goff! Platonically speaking of course!! :crazy_face::+1::upside_down_face::heart::pray:

1 Like

He can’t read defenses. The Bears traded a 2nd rounder for Claypool, and Fields doesn’t even throw him the ball. In 5 games with the Bears Claypool has 12 catches for 111 yards.

2 Likes

Aw that pesky little detail of where to throw the ball?

3 Likes

Would be fantastic if you are right about Fields. Would set dem bears back for years, excellent!!!

1 Like

Jared Goff is my starter in 2023 and at least the start of 2024. I am in no way extending him before his current contract expires. I hope to add an additional 2024 1st which can be done in several different ways with our capital in 2023. I am then taking a QB in the 2024 draft loaded with potential in the 1st round. That QB is this teams future and franchise quarterback. His contract allows Detroit to field a monster for the next 4-5 years.

I few Goff as my KC Alex Smith. More than capable starter on a good franchise. But he’s just the placeholder for the eventual 2025 starter and beyond.

That’s what I would do :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Even if he can’t throw, they can still win games with that kind of quarterback. He is in the Lamar Jackson mold and damn near a clone.

They can win a lot of games, but when they fall behind, they are garbage. I see the Bears being competitive as long a Fields is there. Just not SB contenders. And some fans are just fine with this.

For sure! You have to remember the current head coach and GM didn’t draft Fields. That was the previous regimes doing. I could see them trading or moving off of Fields sooner rather than later.

2 Likes

This sounds like a good plan. But if we roll it back a year, we were saying exactly this about the '23 class. I’m looking at our second pick this year and thinking it might be time to strike, if there’s someone there that makes sense. But for 2023, its Goff’s job to lose, he’s earned that for sure.

I get it and I wouldn’t be opposed to the future guy coming from this draft. I just see 2024 as having at least 4-5 studs coming out. And after another year of building this team through the draft and free agency, our needs might be minimal in 2024. Allowing us to package capital and get our guy with a complete (or close to complete) roster.

But of course you are right, in another year we might be looking at the 2024 class as something completely different. This class is already here and approaching and nobody blows me away. So putting it off another year is what I prefer.