QB play observation

Explain it to me. I’m slow.

1 Like

1000% agree. Just tired of hearing it actually. Goff has looked just as good or better than every QB I have watched in the playoffs this year. Also, I read that the Lions had the #1 play action offense in the NFL this year. Goff isn’t just good, he is really good.

2 Likes

I noticed.

Bring the Glass Cow back to the Mitten!

1 Like

With a minimum of 500 pass attempts, can you name a QB that was sacked LESS sacks than Goff?
I will answer for you, none, only Brady and Goff were sacked 22 times. Speaks volumes for Jonah, our center and tackles.

2 Likes

The sacks stat is impressive. And also speaks volumes to Goff himself. And just to clarify, our tackles played lights out all year. The weak spot was the guard play

Decker himself did credit Goff before the season started on how well he was calling the line protects and alerts. Said it helped them all play faster and made their job easier

I’m stoked about the chemistry they are all developing. If we can get an upper level G, some T depth and Rags gets his toe right, I think it very well could be the best line for the best offense in the league

2 Likes

To be fair Goff has always avoided sacks. In 2019 the Rams had the 31st oline and he was sacked a career low of 22 times. One less then he did this past season.

The Bucs had a poor oline for much of the year and Brady avoided sacks as well.

I think the Lions have a good oline (top 10) but definitely not elite. Outside of Rags who on the line is truly probowl worthy? Sewell is close but not there yet.

3 Likes

You’re greatly mistaken if you think that stat is a reflection on OL. Sure it’s an indication but so many other variables go into that stat. QB play, release times, scheme, play action and play calling have a much bigger impact than the OL play does on that stat.

The Lions had the best play action in the league and that reduces sack totals tremendously.

1 Like

Play action isn’t much of a threat without a good run game. Again, this goes to stellar play from our O-Line. We did all this with crap play from the RG position, it should only will get better.

3 Likes

I’d put JJ there. But he did struggle a little with injury this year. Decker was rock solid all year. I wonder if the plan is to draft another RT and move Sea Wall or keep Sea Wall to be one of the all time great RTs and get another LT in a few years

1 Like

Some QBs just sell play action better. Scott Mitchell was the worst I’ve ever seen. Like wasn’t sure why they even bothered. Goff is one of the best there is at it. It takes some ability to bend at the waist and flex and twist. Maybe one of the benefits of him being a willowy as he is

2 Likes

I’m just going to drop this article and quote from it.

The Lions’ run game has been incredibly inefficient over that span, averaging just 3.6 yards per carry in the last five games. Goff has had to deal with horrible guard play, leading to early pressure coming right up the middle.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Obviously, we don’t see things the same. I will leave my last comments as food for thought. Something help you understand my opinion only.
All quotes from the article you posted:
Is it smart game planning or poor line play?
Yes, he’s played some bad pass defenses along the way (Giants, Jaguars, and Bears all rank 27th or lower in pass defense DVOA)
"Despite the fact that the Lions held at least a two-score lead every second of the contest after the 4:09 mark in the first quarter, Jared Goff threw the ball 41 times on Sunday—more than all but three other quarterbacks in Week 13. They never let off the gas, because they knew the Jaguars couldn’t stop them from succeeding in the passing game.

“We knew that was the best way to attack this team, and I know if you let off the gas too soon, and you start pulling back too soon, bad things can happen,” Campbell said Monday. “There’s a fine line, I know, but we were confident that was the right approach, the right game plan for this defense, and so we did that."

Haha I was very clear what I meant. We won’t win a super bowl with Jared Goff. Everything needs to be perfect I’m not talking about this year… we went 9-8! I’m talking about what I seen from Goff even in his Rams years… Theres a reason Rams had to trade him and get their QB to win the chip. What you guys don’t realize is in a couple years let’s say we make it to playoffs and win and he as a good year… we will have to pay him 40-45 mil… u realize that’s gonna decimate our rebuild… Getting a QB having him learn for a year or 2 under Goff is the best route, having a rookie with that contract will give us so much to work on everything else on the team… it’s high risk high reward, if Holmes believes Goff is the guy to have us win the chip then I respect that and hope he’s right, I don’t think so, hope I’m proven wrong. This is Alex Smith all over again idc about Alex smith not putting up the same stats as Goff did, or Jimmy G, we know the type QB’s they are. People fall too in love with certain players… it’s okay to be good not great, Nick Foles had a year where he threw like 3 picks all year and when a Super Bowl, QB’s can get hot but I don’t feel safe with Goff in a big game against top defense and losing that’s my opinion. Get a QB in this draft if Holmes believes in him and have him learn the system and under Goff in a year or 2 it’s go time, don’t have to pay Goff and build team.

You said you are clear in what you mean but were all over the place in this post.

My posts about Will Harris are not even close to this long. We need to replace Will Harris, period. See how that works?

Very passionate about this topic cause it’s make or break. Our goal should be the Super Bowl and I don’t think he can win us one period.

2 Likes

Christ how many handles do you have to post this same thing?

We get it. You are basically the Goff diss wheel. Yippie

1 Like

The Office Thank You GIF

We see the same 3
narratives from Goff distractors over and over. You need new material.

Why do you say that? He’s proven he can win when things aren’t perfect. He beat playoff teams this year with the worst defense in the NFL, holes in his OL and key injuries at skill positions. The year he took the Rams to the SB … that team was far from perfect and he almost won then. So why do you say that? Help me understand why you think this to be a true statement when he’s already proven it to be false.

People who dislike Goff always bring this up. He must suck because the rams got rid of him. It was obvious McVay and Goff were not a good fit together. One had to go.

Alex Smith was 36 years old. His arm strength was declining. He was talking about retiring. That’s why KC drafted his future replacement. If he were younger they would have stuck with him. How do I know… because that’s exactly what they did. Goff is only 28 years old and has two Pro Bowls.

3 Likes

I get the feeling that people have built up the superbowl to be some mystical event where the rules of normal NFL football cease to exist and what works in any other game just no longer applies. So even if Goff gets us there, he just has no chance to win without a perfect team and perfect conditions around him.

I may be wrong in my interpretation but that’s the general vibe I’m starting to get from those types of posts.