QB Question

IF,that’s a big if, the brain trust love a QB in this draft that can be had for pick 1B, but is off the board by round 2.
I’m not talking about a QB to replace Goff, more about a high quality back up with tremendous upside.
I like the attributes Richardson brings if he’s allowed to sit and learn for a minimum of two years, barring an injury to JG.
If Brad and company see this guy as a future #1, is now he time to draft him? It will give us options for 2025.

Richardson is extremely talented, but as this moment I would be pretty upset if we picked him with our second 1st. If he is there in the 2nd and they want to take the gamble then sure, but there are too many questions with Richardson to take him in the 1st when we already have Goff.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree on the questions we have, but if Brad and Co. are certain. ??
Goff is a FA after 24, it would be nice to have a plan in place. Even if we keep JG after 24, a stud backup is worth his weight in gold if you’re a 49er fan.
Richardson also can be a great change of pace when needed.

I’ll trust Holmes. Outside of Levi, Holmes has been fire :fire: :fire_engine: in the Draft.
That being said, I wouldn’t like it. Personally, I see QB in the same light as RB. You should never draft a QB in the first round unless you are absolutely positive that they are a generational talent. It’s just too easy, and very likely, you’ll miss. The odds of actually getting a franchise QB are about 25%, or, there’s a 75% chance you waste a high pick.
As for a backup QB in the first round? Would you want a backup WR or DT in the first?
No, you don’t want a first round pick riding the pine. Nothing would say, “I’m a moron”, louder.

3 Likes

This is a super poor man’s Lamar Jackson that is worse at virtually everything. I’d be shocked if he went in the 1st round. But then someone took Tebow so never say never.

2 Likes

You go get YOUR GUY. If you see your guy in this draft. Goff isn’t bad at all. That’s why the arguments for an against are splitting hairs. The arguments for replacing him eventually are that he isn’t elite. But he makes getting a guy not necessary short term……so I’m more in the carter porter load up on defense and win a lot of games and I’ll worry about losing the championship game when we are losing the championship game. Don’t cue up the Goff support bc I’m not anti Goff and if you haven’t heard the regular people (Detroit’s sports talk, national pundits) suggest the idea that he is eventually replaceable then don’t shoot the messenger.

Tbh the two qbs I’m curious about for us early are AR15 and stroud. Just wanna see what the lions think………my educated guess is Brad still believes Goff and thinks he is the guy. I wouldn’t mind the tcu qb later as a developmental.

Let’s also be real. We see AR15 and we think Lamar and Josh Allen. But is that realistic? Is he as appealing if we consider he may never be them?

1 Like

Your thoughts on Goff needing (not needing) replaced is about where I’m at. I get a lot of flack for stating it, mostly because I wanted Justin Fields two years ago and have always felt Goff was limited. That is not to say I hate him.

On Stroud, it’ll be very interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. I suspect that Stroud won’t do much vs Georgia and the debate will remain the same with him. But if he had a nice playoff run and stepped up and competed fiercely with UGA (even in a loss), played well, drove the team down the field on timely scores, the debate could shift. Especially if he were somehow able to do it twice and redeem the Michigan debacle.

AR15 I think a lot of people think he is something he is not. I actually think he is a bit further along mentally than a guy like Willis. He’s more of a pure QB. He’ll never run like Lamar but I could definitely see a Josh Allen like career arch. Lofty, but I think Allen is the right comp. Some have said Cam. I actually think Richardson will be a better eventually than Cam or Lamar. I try to imagine a scenario where he busts and its hard to think of one with that sort of ability. I suppose he could get hurt or never get his footwork down. But I feel like once he gets that footwork and consistency down were going to see fireworks.

2 Likes

Yes. Goff has validated Holmbell’s vision from the Day 1, and I don’t think they’re buying a lottery ticket for the next Mahomes in this draft. A 6th round QB? Sure, why not? Though riding with Goffish-clone Nate Sudfeld is fine with me.

3 Likes

we need a backup that can %$!@#@ do something-just in case Goff gets injured , far better than Dobbs.

You do realize that Sudfeld would come before Dobbs? None of us know what we have in the back up position because none of us have seen him take a snap in this offense with these players

He was very effective at kneeling last week at the end of the game…haha I’d like to see him do that every game!

4 Likes

Josh dobbs isn’t bad. You don’t want him playing a lot of games as a starter but he is better then anything Detroit has had as a backup in the last 5-8 years. Since Dan O. I am all for developing a backup…….I’m also excited they took dobbs.

1 Like

Bottom line for me too.
I have the same fear of drafting QBs as you do.
Now with the collective brain trust operating like The Borg, Brad, Coach Dan, and Good luck Baby…my faith is at an all time high.

DT in the first. Hope we go RB in the first 2 rounds. Honestly, I just trust Brad.

DT
RB
DE?
LB
Basically front 7 on D, then supplement the depth/talent/rotational guys.

…thing is, Brad’s getting quality starters with late round picks. HAHHAAH

2 Likes

No way am I using our second 1st round pick to draft Goff’s “backup”. With all the needs on this team, drafting a guy that doesn’t start is a waste. I’m ok using a 4th or 5th round pick for a guy we think has upside would be ok.

3 Likes

you do realize Dobbs is on another team, and like it was stated…we don’t know how good Sudfield is because he has not played “yet” anyway.

No first rounder on him. But I wouldn’t be disappointed in round 2. More importantly, a mobile backup is a good thing, because often the timing routes won’t be there at a moments notice. And of course if they do develop and Goff comes back healthy, you trade one for a kings ransom. That all said, I would prefer a QB in the third prior to the comp picks.

1 Like

My bad I thought you were talking about Joshua Dobbs our practice squad QB who wont see the active roster unless something happens to Goff. Also I was the one that said only the staff knows what we have in Sudfeld

I am talking about Josh Dobbs ,he was on our PS…yet thought The Bears took him off of it?

Cub, I think you have Blough mixed up with Dobbs

Dobbs at his best is pretty fun to watch, and pretty effective. He’s my favorite backup we’ve had here in a while. I’ll reserve judgement on Sudfield til I see him play here. Doesn’t seem exciting though.

I’m riding the fence on Goff vs ??? at qb. There’s no question that he’s limited as a play extender, or at picking up 3rd and medium with his feet, or if we come against a great pass rushing team in the playoffs. That stuff could be the difference in making it or missing it.

He’s playing in a situation that mitigates his limitations and masks his flaws. That could change in time. I’m pretty okay with whatever tbh.

3 Likes