QB Ratings….. Truck vs Trailer

After watching the 8-2 finish, and the road wins vs Jets, Giants, and Packers outside…. It’s hard to imagine anyone thinks Goff is a trailer. Peyton Manning was sitting on 3 playoff wins and a career rating of 94 through his age 29 season…. He had a few top 10, and 2 seasons with bottom 2 defenses. Most were 12-18 defenses. Tons of offensive talent around him with Edge, Faulk, Addai, Harrison, Wayne, Rhodes, D Clark, Stokely, etc.

Let’s be real… if Ben Johnson didn’t think Goff would have an even BETTER season in 24’, or if we were going to saddle him with a rookie or a QB controversy, then no way in HELL HE PASSES UP GUARANTEED PAY DAYS AS A HEAD COACH!!! Maybe Ben realized how many games Goff won for us, and how few he lost for us.

Factor that as soon as we had competent WRs and 4 of 5 OL players we went 7-2 (Chicago comeback on) with 5 games of 110 plus ratings and ZERO under 80!!!

—— Below numbers indicate number of games each QB had north of 110 QB rating, and number of games south of 79.9…… no surprise the top 2 are Mahomes and Burrow…btw- in 2017-2018 Goff had 16 games over 110 ratings and just 6 under 80……

Mahomes: 7 to 1
Burrow: 5 to 1

• Goff: 7 to 4
    Hurts: 5 to 3
    Cousins: 5 to 4
    Herbert: 4 to 4
    Dak: 5 to 5
    J Allen: 5 to 6
    T Law: 5 to 7
    Brady: 3 to 5
    Fields: 3 to 6
    Lamar: 2 to 5
    Erin: 1 to 3
    Russ: 2 to 6

I am including Pickett and his 0 to 7 ratio to make it obvious how much an awful QB can hold a team back.

7 Likes

Can we have a good faith discussion with nuance for once on this topic?

Matt Ryan with Kyle Shanahan had one of the best statistical seasons in NFL history at that time, won MVP and almost won a Super Bowl.

I’d argue he was a trailer before, after and during that season

6 Likes

Agree but for most of Ryans career he was a top 10 QB. Kyle Shanahan is arguably the best offensive mind in the game along with Andy Reid. I would add I think Goff is better than Matt Ryan.

7 Likes

There is nothing nuanced about that. You think Matt Ryan is a trailer. You flat out said how you felt.

3 Likes

Where do RVs fit into this equation?

4 Likes

I think are comparable quarterbacks and are going to finish with the same resume outside of Goff’s Super Bowl victory next year

1 Like

Does anyone at this point argue that Goff isn’t a top 10 quarterback? I mean seriously…l was one of those most critical of Goff and I am saying he is without question one of the best 10 QBs in the league.

@Lyonfan1 do you ever quit broski? I mean the amount of threads about Jared Goff explaining the exact same thing is crazy. We get it, the dude is pretty damn good. You don’t have to convince anyone on this board of that anymore.

But I will still stand by the stance hardly ANYONE is worth the money these guys get. He may be top 10, but nobody in the top 10 even comes close to value/worth it outside of Mahomes, Allen (is he?), and eventually Burrow.

The argument isn’t, is Jared Goff really good? It’s is Jared Goff worth the money he’s going to get on an extension? I will argue all day that he isn’t.

edit
-The Seahawks decided to move on from Russ instead of extend him. And don’t say because he fell off. Dude threw 25TDs to 6INTS with a QB rating of 103. And he won them a SB.

-The Raiders are moving on from Derek Carr.

-Kurk Cousins is SEVERELY handicapping the Vikings from being legit SB contenders with his absurd contract.

-The Titans might release Ryan Tannehill and eat ~18 million in the process.

-You think the Cowboys are regretting giving Dak his absurd contract?

-The 49ers had a QB take them to the SB and a little over a year later (after he again took them to the NFCC), traded 3 1st round picks to take a rookie. They were ready to move on from a QB who did that for them??? Because they know paying one player a huge % of the cap is the beginning of the end.

It doesn’t work out giving out these contracts. It just simply doesn’t.

3 Likes

That’s what you got out of it? You cited one season 7 years ago… a season where a former top 3 overall pick had a historic season carrying a bottom 5 defense, and put 28 points on the leagues best defense in the SB, and lost in OT….

So I’ve deduced some of you simply your QB to be a “HOOKER NOT A HOUSEWIFE”…….

Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady were aligned with some of the best coaches, schemes and supporting casts for their skills for 2 decades each, and win they did. Not with cannon arms, not with mobility, but with spreading the ball around, and being accurate while taking care of the football.

Josh Allen cannot win a football game when his team gives up 27…. He’s 3-9!

Herbert can’t carry a stacked team… he’s 25-25 in his career with a helluva cast….Chargers are only getting worse from here… drafting late, and Keenan, Mack, Eckler all getting up there….

Right now there appear to be 3 QBs in the world capable of carrying a team…. Mahomes, Burrow, and Hurts-

That said- with OL issues Mahomes couldn’t even function against the Bucs…

2 Likes

Logically yes….but if we agree that Mahomes is historically special- like top 5 all time in talent, and so far in production. The only QB ever with a winning record when facing 27 plus points…. and it’s possible Burrow doesn’t win a SB before getting an extension… then what is the plan?

My point has always been that QBs don’t keep “ascending”…. In fact Lamar and Allen are in slight 3 year regressions. Now Buffalo seems to have drama, and Lamar certainly has contract drama.

So outside of Mahomes- all time great, and Russ- there really aren’t any QBs that carried a team to a SB before getting paid in the rookie cap era…

• so you are saying don’t pay Goff, don’t pay Herbert, don’t pay Tua, don’t pay D Jones, Lamar, etc

What is the alternative? Draft a rookie, let him suck as a rookie, and regress the team? Then see marked improvement in years 2-3 and have it look like he’s gonna be elite, so you A) pay him B) have him risk holding out and dealing with drama?

QBs are going to either be young and struggling, or they will count for 18% of the cap…. Seems simple to me

1 Like

If there is nobody more handsome than Goff available…we roll with Goff

1 Like

Wrong. It’s not young and struggling vs 18% of the cap.

Answer this, how often has that qb making 18% of the cap worked out? Now how many “young and struggling” QBs have taken their team to, or won the SB?

Paying Goff is not smarter than moving on. It’s actually the exact opposite. I mean I gave you examples the QBs getting paid and it not working out. And gave you examples of teams deciding to move on and still have success (Seahawks and 49ers). I guess Purdy is young and struggling…Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence…if you have a good foundation in place, good coach, culture…that young QBs chances of success go way up. A blanket statement like “young and struggling” is used to support your argument. But it’s absolutely a false one.

2 Likes

I totally understand the argument that a crazy QB contract hamstrings a team. But we don’t know what Goffs cap is going to be relative to the overall cap if they extend him for a few more years. It might be cap friendly.

I don’t think he has a better situation in the NFL. He and BJ are kizmet. I think knowing Goff is there and what they are cooking is a reason why BJ is taking less money to stay. I wouldn’t be surprised if Goff took a team friendly deal too

never resigning a QB to franchise money and drafting a rookie every few years isn’t a realistic plan. Every team is going to have to sink money into the QB spot to keep stability and consistency. That does put more of an onus on the GM to keep drafting starter quality players. In an ideal world, Goff keeps performing, signs a team friendly extension, wins back to back Super Bowls in 2025 and 2026 making 13% of the cap for that year. In 2027 with no glaring team needs we trade up for a toolsy strong armed QB to select around 10 who can sit behind Goff as he turns 32-33 years old and decides to retire or move into the broadcast booth

49ers are gonna keep it rolling without paying a QB. Looks like a winning strategy to me. And if you asked me what franchise we are modeling our team after…its the 49ers.

2 Likes

Okay

1 Like

I’ll take Joe Burrow over Patrick Mahomes…just throwing that out there :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

JimmyG is 31 and that team doesn’t have any glaring weaknesses. If we don’t extend Goff, he performs up and down and in a couple years have a dominant defense and are contending for a title, definitely draft a top QB.

The Niners I’m sure didn’t draft Lance with the intention of only keeping him for a rookie contract. Has any successful team ever followed a model of let’s not pay any QB ever?

2 Likes

Of course they didn’t draft Lance with the intension of moving on. Is that what I’m saying??? They were hoping they were drafting the next elite QB in the NFL. I said I would pay Mahomes, Allen, Burrow…and Hurts, Herbert, Lawrence, I would also consider paying. That’s 6 QBs that I think have an argument as being worth it.

I’m not saying you flat out, don’t pay a QB. But if they aren’t special…move on.

I think Burrow is in the conversation as best QB in the NFL.

1 Like

Kyle Shanahan is a football genius and if he had a QB he would have more than 0 Super Bowl wins. Kyle won a playoff game where his QB went 11 of 19 passing. Then he followed it up with another playoff win where his QB went 6 of 8 passing. That’s not something you simply decide to do. You either have that level of genius at HC or you don’t. And even with his level of football intellect he has zero rings to show for it…because of the QB position.

3 Likes

He is the best IMO

3 Likes