QB wins are not a stat

Of course it’s a team thing, but there is 1 player who has more influence on W’s and L’s. It’s like a pitcher in baseball. They have the ball in their hands for pretty much every play on offense. They change plays, read defenses, etc.

It has always been a QB thing. Everyone knows Terry Bradshaw won 4 super bowls. Nobody cares who their backup left guard was. This was also from an era where QB’s handed the ball off most of the game. They are the general. Everything goes thru them. They get the prestige and the money.

click on this. they keep full records of QB wins. and everything else in the NFL in stat records.

Not a fan of the Win/Loss stat for team sports.

It seems fine in boxing and tennis.

I disagree. There’s a reason they keep that stat for QB’s, pitchers and goaltenders. They are the one position in their sport that has the most influence on winning and losing. It’s not like it’s the only stat kept either, so it’s not all or nothing.

For me, I think yardage for QB’s is the least important stat of all of them. Wins can be misleading, but yardage is almost always misleading. TDs are a very good stat, too.

I wish that instead of just constantly showing TD/INT ratios, that they would include fumbles lost as well. TD vs turnovers. There are some QBs that cough up the ball a ton more than others. I believe Dave Krieg was a tiny handed fumble machine.

I tend to value ERA, Save %, and QBR as better stats to measure by. No single stat is perfect in measuring.

I agree that pitchers, goalies, and QBs have a greater influence on outcomes than other positions. I just think other measures are better than wins.

1 Like

I see your point, but it’s just not valid. Take the best QB in the world with a crappy D, and chances are that he’s not going to the SB.

It’s not a QB thing. Never has been. It’s a team thing. That’s why when you look at SB winners, the HUGE, HUGE majority are those that have a top O and top D. In cases where you don’t, it’s far more common to see a dominating D and a weak O than the other way around. Example are ravens with Dilfer, Tampa with Brad Johnson and so on.

It’s simply impossible to say that a QB gets credit for a win when they are not part of 2/3 of the game.

Now, if you want to point to the O and say that it’s ranking is due to the QB, you’re on much better ground. But Trent Dilfer never won a super bowl.

1 Like