Quarterback was and is still NOT the problem here in Detroit

We had a chance to draft a guy like Sam Howell with a pretty low draft pick to vastly improve our backup QB and give us a chance to possibly develop a challenger to Goff in the future. Possibly saving us crazy money not having to keep Goff. We had a similar opportunity with a UDFA like Carson Strong. The fact we’re keeping Tim Boyle like he belongs in the NFL is totally bewildering. Backup QB is an important position. Cheap backup QB with future starter potential is totally worth a late pick.

I personally think the league overreacted to last year’s overrated QB class and undervalued this years QB class. It wasn’t good, but they overreacted and it was a great year to draft a QB.

1 Like

I too wish they would take fliers on young talented backup QBs with a chance to develop into more. Perhaps that comes in time when the later picks aren’t as important to our roster construction.

2 Likes

Holmes is building a really solid team. He isn’t banking his job on the guy. He signed a 6 year deal. People in the media are starting to talk about it, it was mentioned during the draft in NFL Network, the lions are going about business as though they have time and they are in a rush…they are building a solid team.

Lynn WAS the reason Goff looked so bad….that and the best wr in our wr room was a 3rd stringer. SUN god was NOT being utilized by Lynn. I can say it now bc it’s way in the past but the offensive players didn’t like him. SunGod’s dad was very outspoken about Lynn on a few different occasions at games. The offense improved, Goff inproved, SunGod emerged AFTER Lynn left…….Lynn was a huge issue.

10 Likes

Lynn, OL injuries, a GAWDAWFUL WR corps and, yes, probably some time for JG to get over being terrorized by McVay. Honestly, it’s stunning to me how many people apparently watched the games but discount how horrific Goff’s situation was - and how much better he played when given the chance under still-bad circumstances.

3rd-best QB rating over the final SIX games - that’s not just a good half or two. And it’s still while relying on a 4th-round rookie WR and a cast-off Rams 4th-stringer.

I’m not trying to convince anyone that Goff is THE guy. We’ll see. But at least acknowledge that his performance over those last 6 wasn’t just “serviceable,” as some insist. It was actually VERY good.

9 Likes

Look man. Nobody is trying to hear your logic and sense. What are you? A GM, Coach, QB Coach, and OC rolled into one? Stop with your nonsensical and utterly invalid points that make complete sense.

2 Likes

I think Tim Boyle is as good as any of those guys (this class of QB’s) are going to be, this year.
If Goff magically turns into a good QB with a good team around him, maybe, we take a QB in the 3rd next year?
If Goff plays like he did at the beginning of last season. We spend two first round picks on a QB and pray he doesn’t bust.

This guy is available

1 Like

2 Likes

I was watching a podcast and they gave a valid point. We rave about Holmes ability to recognize and scout talent. With all that Holmes has shown we are all (myself included) concerned with Goff and not upgrading.

I think we are just going to have to trust the process and Holmes ability to scout talent. When he says the QB’s available were just not high value prospects we should take him at his word. If a QB of high value becomes available that he rates as a significant upgrade I believe Holmes will do everything in his power to make that happen.

As a Lions fan I think it’s just natural for us to 2nd guess management and believe them to be idiots because that has been our experience for many, many, years. After this draft I ALMOST feel like maybe I can relax just a little and enjoy what I am seeing unfold.

2 Likes

I have feeling we will win at least 6 games this year. Not sure if they draft one next year or see what’s in the market. trade Goff or something?

I have less of a problem with Goff (who was fantastic once Anthony Lynn had playcalling taken away) and WAY more of a problem with the fact that they have the worst backup QB in the league.

That said, you don’t draft a QB to be a backup.

3 Likes

LOL - Snort laugh.
I love it when we misinterpret e/o in text on here. So funny. I’m just as guilty as anyone, but Its’ funny shit, sometimes.

Really well said, bro.
All GMs miss sometimes, and I just hope that particular pick is not the one he misses on…but you are 100% on the money here.

I don’t recall Goff ever getting the red carpet treatment from the media and overall perception. Sean McVay was always the bigger story, along with Todd Gurley. That is from what I remember. QBs who win tend to be overrated. But Goff was in a strange situation where even when they won, people perceived it as being in spite of Jared Goff, not because of him. He could have 400 yard 4 TD games and was still looked at like Trent Dilfer.

I don’t see that.
Truly, the truth is in the middle somewhere. Goff has been dealt a very nice hand most of his career, so far. At times he made the most of it, and then there were other times…

He’s young enough to where this thing is yet to be determined.
I’m 100% behind whatever Brad chooses to do. I think he eventually gets it right. Goff needs to toughen up. I think he can. Will he??? Hard to say.

1 Like

I’m dead serious.

If he could survive last season, he’s tough enough.

3 Likes

Tried to tell the Goff haters at the draft that he was a pretty darn good QB at the end of the season, but haters hate.

1 Like

I always said that the idiots that were put in charge to lead this team were 50% of the entire problem, sure Caldwell may have been somewhat better than the rest of chumpland, but even Caldwell The Mime made mistakes.

It took a lot of years to get a running game that actually functioned better than halfassed , and we never really had a defense but maybe one season and the took that apart-like fools , and never recovered. We lead the league in dropped footballs in back to back seasons, our playcalling stunk to high hell & was easy to figure out and stop -even- IF we could execute it correctly…yeah right. our leaders treated our best players like they were just expendable rentals, and thee only continual thing we had as a team? losing. not that our Owners gave a chit or fixed any of it…but hey lay blame at The QB’s feet–shrug. The Lions have had 30 head coaches because they were getting canned every three seasons. I didn’t blame just the QB. But I gave them hell when they deserved it -as well as praise, when they deserved it…the way it should be.

I’ve done a write up on different types of toughness…and the types of toughness he has.

Yes…Goff has toughness from a stick-to-it-iveness
Goff doesn’t give up on games, and certainly not seasons…that is a form of toughness.
Goff also will play hurt…and yes…that is a form of toughness.
Also…if someone gives him a dirty look, he fumbles the ball, bails on a play in a moment…throws ball out of bounds on 4th down…and doesn’t like physical contact. …in that way, he needs to take some tough pills.
In the “Man whoop a man” department…he is a 2/10 on the tough scale. Extremely weak.

Not saying he can’t improve, btw…
Just saying I don’t have as much faith in him as I did last offseason at this time.
He needs a martial arts class, IMO…but with the right instructor. He needs more confidence in that way.