Questions about the DL and OL, Free Agency, Depth and the Draft

IIRC, I read that he had more production–whatever that meant–than Walker did in 2021.

Are posters thinking Paschal, Romeo and Cominsky all play similar roles then? And that John really isn’t a 3 tech guy? So signing Cominsky gives us elite depth with Romeo for a year and good depth after 2023?

Alim, Buggs and Levi are the only real DTs on the roster and Buggs is a free agent?

James Houston, Charles Harris and Julian Okwara are edge players.
Hutch, Romeo, Cominsky (if re-signed) and Paschal are DEs.
Levi, Alim and Buggs (if re-signed) are DTs.

The above are 10 players. Sure seems like adding a 3-tech DT would give this DL elite depth options.

Where should we add this additional DT?
Free agency and if so splurge (seems unlikely) or value shopping?
If the draft when and who?

1 Like

Karlaftis was also more frequently ranked ahead at the edge.

2 Likes

Cominsky was the starting defensive end opposite Hutch during the defensive turnaround in the 2nd half of the season. Really only moved inside on 3rd downs. Cominsky was playing 75-80% of the snaps, barely came off the field. He’s much more than a depth guy. I think he’s the most important free agent we have to bring back.

7 Likes

Signing Chris Wormley and Jordan Philips would go a long way shoring up the middle of that defense.

Why are any of you still counting on Levi O? He hasn’t played decent football since what 2019

Is anyone actually counting on him though!? Paschal is interesting to me. He did play inside some this year, he played inside some in college. He’s a large D-end. 275 pounds. It would be interesting what he could do a DT, if he was say 290, he’s got the frame for it.

1 Like

No one is counting on him but he is still on the roster and will be so there is a shot he becomes part of a rotation. The Lions are not going to cut him.

To 57’s point (and this is crazy interesting) Romeo played in 5 games in 2022. Romeo played 25, 26 and then 41 snaps (the 41 was against the Panthers…we all know what happened there) and then Romeo played 15 and 12 snaps the last two games. Wow. Just wow. The Lions pretty much shut Romeo down:

Since week 8 Cominsky never saw less than 30 snaps through the rest of the season and he had over 50 snaps in 5 games. That is the stretch the Lions went 8-2. Crazy wow:

Cominsky and Hutch worked really, really well together. If it is okay to ask Vaitai for a pay cut it is okay to ask Romeo for one too. Romeo wasn’t nearly as good as John when it counted. Now, Romeo was recovering and all that stuff. But damn, Cominsky was a critical piece during the stretch run and Holmes needs to lock him down. I think Cominsky needs to stay a starter, over Romeo at this point, and Holmes may have to claw some of the $ back from Romeo. Romeo has one year left on his deal and John has outplayed him in a very big way here.

Getting Vaitai and Romeo to take pay cuts may be important to freeing up the $ we need to re-sign the guys we need to remain competitive. For example I am re-signing Elliott and Cominsky and I am not paying Romeo that $ is that means I watch one of these guys walk. Same with Vaitai. I am not letting Chark or Williams walk when I may have to take some $ from Vaitiai.

2 Likes

Mlive has an article about Romeo. He says he was not able to focus on football stuff while in rehab so he was learning on the fly when he came back. He bought a house and is staying in Detroit this year to work on the football side of things. Hired a trainer as well. He is looking forward to rejoining the rotation. I am pretty sure Romeo will be in camp this year.

4 Likes

I think it’s the only way they don’t get cut. They might be willing to take pay cuts though because is there really going to be a big free agent market for either them coming off very serious injuries!? Might make more money taking a cut in pay with the Lions. It’ll be interesting how that plays out.

1 Like

No No No an your example of Philly those two were like mid signings for Super Bowl push neither DT will be back they are playing for a ring an couple million.
We don’t need to pay big time money for back up to back up DTs. How you deside the difference in DE or Rush or DT just makes everything confusing.

So when Hutch switches with Comish does he now become a DE or DT ? Pascal was drafted to set the edge an on when they want to in crease pass rush he moves inside.

Most of all the post not just yours fans ignore McNeal i look hardly mentioned Lions want him to play 3 tech an when needed slide over to nose. The Lions if they Keep Buggs he also plays 3 or will slide over. When they release Brockers they will replace him thats why they would draft Carter Look at size of Brockers they want to replace him .

I am not sure about Bresee the guy i like we can get likely third rd pick or end rd 2
Keeanu Benton 6’4″ 315 he played a lot of NT an DT in Wis. He is a wrestler who won 40 plus with 2 or 3 loses in school . He is beast an its showing at senior bowl thats why might take rd 2 pick the second one.

2 Likes

I would cut Romeo if i cut a edge an keep Harris but they will know better how Romeo after some OTAs before draft. Harris injury was serious groin injury.

Julian might also be released he will have to fight for his job. We have a guy called Huston now so pressure is on edge players an who knows they could draft one or sign one.

There will be two spots on DL group for sure Brocker an Bryant
We also have Taylor an 6’1 295 DT spent last season on PS

Why I wonder about Julian is his size he is a light weight 6’4 239 Long but light i think he would be better at 245
Houston is 6’1 241 but he has that great bend . So when you compare size of Julian an Houston see what i mean

1 Like

Your right yote, why would anyone want elite DT depth for a super bowl run?

Just stupid i know.

Let’s trot Mcneil back out there by himself…and oh yeah Levi O too.

We had no problems stopping the run last year

1 Like

Come on jigga you know Yote , them practice squad players and cripples that can’t get on the field are always on the rise and the reason we don’t need good players. Don’t forget Benito why would you ever need help on the Dline when you have Buggs and Benito. Along with McNeil what more could you want.

1 Like

Yote will die on the hill for our guys. Can’t take that away from the guy, super loyal.

Glad to see some things haven’t changed

2 Likes

Yeap love Yote he is always optimistic, and is very loyal as you said, he has also came up with a lot of good players threw the years. But he also holds on with some players that will make you scratch your head.