Quin/Patricia Stay or Go?

It didn’t have to be Caldwell or Patricia.

Your post was talking about getting into the Patricia system sooner.

Fixed

And bring in who? Its still the same problem.

You answered your own question.
The credit you give Bevel is that he is able to coach the same players into better play and a better gameplan.

Well, you can’t fairly compare Patricia to that because they’re not the same players.
On defense:
3 starters exist from pre-Patricia.
3 starters exist from last year.
5 new starters.
5 backups exist from pre-Patricia.
6 from last year
4 from this year

Offense:
7 starters exist from pre-Patricia
3 from last year
1 from this year
2 backups from last year
11 backups from this year

That’s drastic. Plus, you have Stafford, Decker, Ragnow and Hockenson as 1st rounders starting on offense.

Defense has Jarrad Davis as its lone 1st rounder.

People want to believe we have this great group of talent. We don’t. We have a bunch of C grade players with enough injuries to make them play at F level.

If you conclude that Bob Quinn does not deserve another shot at overspending on injured veterans or reaching in the draft, I’ve got no argument. But, if you say that Patricia should have been more successful because Bevel was successful on offense, well, that’s my argument above.

2 Likes

They have more talent on the 2019 team than Austin was working with for much of 2015, 2016 and 2017. And Austin’s defenses were better. Our defense is inexcusably bad.

2 Likes

This team is bad. Nobody deserves a pass on any of it. Not Quinn, not Patricia, nobody.

I’m not as enamored with the talent acquired here as others. Too many injuries, too many limitations. It’s a flawed roster.

2 Likes

Agree and while all GMs miss on picks, selecting Tabor in Rd 2 was as obvious mistake as a freight train coming down the tracks. Take Kamara instead, substitute TJ Watt for Jarrad Davis, and just those two would make a difference in the talent level.

1 Like

Revisionist history is a sad game to play.

His history was not revisionist, though he did pose a hypothetical.

It is when you say we should have drafted this guy because he looks good on another team, but we can’t possibly know how he would have done here. yes, it is revisionist history.

That’s what they said going from Mooch to Marinelli.

1 Like

A big part of Matt’s resurgence this season is that Bev let him off the leash that Caldwell put him on 6 years ago.

He supposed how things might have been if history was different.
A revisionist inserts something as history that was not, don’t you think?

That’s the way I understand the phrase anyway. It’s another way of saying someone (the reviser) is lying.

I also don’t like to get bogged down in the shoulda, coulda, woulda’s, but sometimes you can’t help but wonder.

2 Likes

Teez Tabor was pure foresight–I can’t think of a single Lions fan who wanted Tabor and/or supported Quinn taking a demonstrably slow CB in Round 2. There were a few ad hoc attempts to rationalize Tabor’s selection afterward, but that level of support was tepid and sparse.

2 Likes

Tennessee v Vanderbilt. Was scouting potential Lions 2d Rd selection Zach Cunningham. Watched Kamara in that game. Made Cunningham look really bad on one particular TD play.

Some guys just have “it”–Kamara was one of them.

I believe that if Quinn had plans of turning over so much of the roster: He needEd an experienced HC to facilitate that. MP is/was not that guy. He hasn’t shown any real leadership traits that would make men follow him. And that’s why our veteran players have been so outspoken. He could’ve reduced some of this with a prior HC like McDaniels, but I digress. MP would’ve been wise to bring in someone with prior NFL HC experience to help deliver his message. But he didn’t. And this is the result. A disjointed and unorganized team. Which is a direct reflection of hiring your buds. It breeds contempt. Especially if your buddy is not qualified.

However bad you think Patricia is at being someone the guys want to follow and having veterans being outspoken…McDaniels was worse. The idea of bringing him in “to reduce” that issue would be a pure shot in the dark.

Once again this choice Quinn and Quinn’s plan from the get go was Patricia …Literally the second he walked in the door …Wood’s confirmed this .
This was a culture rebuild , tear down , a complete philosophy and character tear down . this process in the salary cap era is a lengthy one . Quinn and Patricia & Woods are here for the long term I see zero chance either or any are gone before the 2022 season & I’m okay with that.
It’s a package deal , the contracts reflect that , the team is not a shit show and is competing week in, week out . Immediate success has been effected by injuries , but immediate success was also unlikely and if it happened it was purely a bonus not an expectation.
Now to be clear I’m not happy , I would rather have gone all in with Caldwell and Austin but cant fault the Lions for not doing so . What I can fault the Lions with is if you give Quinn the power to tear up what he built and has brought in . No way in hell does he get to draft high our QB of the future nor does he get to abandon Patricia or bring in a new plan , unless that plan is the same and the Hoodie became available (Not Happening)
Continue with the plan and 2 to 3 more years (the contract length) and get it done , build your plan and succeed or walk the plank but do so as a group Quinn , Patricia & Wood .

2 Likes

Hindsight is always 20/20 but passing on watt is jarring, especially when you consider they liked him apparently from the rumors and he does seem to fit any defense. My little boy just asked for a Tj Jersey for Christmas…it stings a little lol.

2 Likes