Raiders cut C Rodney Hudson and it costs them 2Mil in cap space. Odd decision

The Raiders have now let go their entire starting OL except their LT. Yikes … talk about total rebuild.

But the last cut is the biggest shocker of all. They cut 3x pro bowler and starting C Rodney Hudson… and the move has a negative cap implication of 2 MIL. In a salary cap strapped season this is very odd behavior.

Because of dead money in Hudson’s contract, Las Vegas loses more than $2 million in salary cap room with this release. The thought around the league is that the Raiders don’t want to pay the cash and they want to clear room on next year’s salary cap. That is ridiculous if true.

Seems there’s a few teams rebuilding their OL this year. So getting a starting RT in the draft might be tougher for the Lions than I originally anticipated.

Chucky gonna slash…Mayock gonna Moneyball.

Vegas…things move fast there, boy…hold on to your hat.

This is a situation where a June 1 designation would make sense.

Cut him immediately and incur a charge of $1,977,000 or

June 1 Designate, carry $1,977,000 more in cap space until June 1, then save $6.4M in 2021 and have a charge of $8,377,000 in 2022.

1 Like

Personally conflict?

Nfl radio has had pissed raider call ins all day.

1 Like

Just saw Josina Anderson report on twitter that the Raiders are trying to trade him now and he hasn’t officially been released. She even said a day 2 pick could be involved which to me makes zero sense? How do you go from cutting a guy to fetching a day 2 pick for him?

IG: JosinaAnderson
@JosinaAnderson

·

38m

There are talks of it potentially involving a “second day pick,” per source.

Quote Tweet

@JosinaAnderson

· 39m

I’m told the #Raiders are currently trying to move C Rodney Hudson via trade, per source.

@JosinaAnderson

·

39m

I’m told the #Raiders are currently trying to move C Rodney Hudson via trade, per source.

Cardinals acquired C Rodney Hudson and a seventh-round pick from the Raiders in exchange for a third-round pick.

Well look at that. Makes zero sense to me unless someone completely misinterpreted something and he was never being released but they were discussing a trade all along.

On a side note, the Rams have added Stafford, but outside of that have gotten considerably worse. On the flip side Arizona and San Fran will be better next year and as long as Seattle has Wilson they will be tough. Rams could realistically miss the playoffs the next two years only strengthening our outlook.

Makes a lot more sense now!

Still odd they gutted their OL though.