Raiders Release Maurice Hurst and Arden Key

Raiders waived DT Maurice Hurst.

The No. 140 overall pick of the 2018 Draft, Hurst appeared in at least 11 games each of the past three seasons. It’s a curious time of year for him to receive his waking papers, but if you’re not in the team’s future plans, you’re not in the team’s future plans. Hurst has eight career sacks on fairly limited snaps, so he will surely get a shot on someone else’s 90-man roster. Hurst turns 26 next month.

Raiders waived DE Arden Key.

The No. 87 overall pick of the 2018 Draft, Key played 435 snaps in 2020. You would not typically see a player like that waived at this stage of the offseason, even if the team was fairly confident they would not be making the 53-man roster. One month shy of his 25th birthday, Key has never been a difference maker, and has not hinted at another level to his game.

Hurst has been a solid role player for them, this one comes out of nowhere. I would love to be able to add him as a low cost option with some untapped potential.

I liked him at UM. Thought he was just okay at Oakland. I d take a cheap flyer on him.

well are staff know about both.

RAIDERS released, not Chargers.

I don’t really get why you would release them now at this stage of the off season while both are still on cost effective deals for another year. What do you gain by doing it now rather than during camp?

Both are ok pros/rotational players. Assume Gruden doesn’t like their attitudes or some other culture reason. Doesn’t really reflect great on the coach and GM

I’d take Hurst on a prove it deal. Maybe he liked Michigan…

WTF do i know, but Key was always long on talent but short on work ethic…I would pass on him.

1 Like

Hurst could fit the role for a cheap penetrating DT in the rotation. I don’t think we’ll have any superstars on the inside, but 4-5 solid players would allow us to keep everyone fresh.

1 Like

26 in May. I expect we will take a look at him as this is a position of need and it would be nice to see Hand and Hurst battle it out.

I’m not sure what happened to Mo Hurst, I know he had a heart issue that caused him to fall in the draft. Based on what he did at Michigan, I think he’d be a good fit for what I think we’ll be doing here.

Both underperformed! I think Key has to mature

1 Like

I can’t believe they had no trade value at all. Odd that the Raiders didn’t at least try to get a late round pick for each.

I wouldn’t mind a flyer on either. Seems like very little risk. If picking just one, prefer Hurst.

1 Like

Without looking at the cap.

There are a large portion of NFL teams who need to clear cap space to sign their rookies. So it could be that.

Maybe they had hoped to trade them and it never materialized.

1 Like

Anthony Lynn’s offense in SD went up against the Raiders defense twice a year.

Would love to see the Lions grab Hurst, only 25 and we could skip drafting a DT this year. It’s a weak class, so I think the position will get over drafted as well.

I don’t get it. As a 5th round pick he’s averaged about 3 sacks a year with a sub 45% snap share and all 3 years north off 71 rating pff

At 26 I’d spend 3 years and 7.5M right not as a rotational rush DT to battle with hand.

Can’t believe he cleared the waiver wire, nobody claimed him on a 5th round rookie contract no less.