Rams expected to trade/release Leonard Floyd

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1632758756445437956

$15.5M this year, $16M in 2024.

Ill be honest, dude benefited a bit from being with Aaron Donald and Von miller that half season

i think hes a good pass rusher, but more like #2, than a premier rusher

While i dont think he would be a bad fit, Edge Rush is prolly one of our stronger spots outside of Depth

dont think we pursue him in either scenario.

2 Likes

Agreed, I’m not a huge fan either. Now if he’s cheap enough then why not, but I doubt he is looking for a 1 year 6-7mil deal.

1 Like

I don’t think we pursue him either, at least not by trade and not at that price, but he had 4 sacks in 6 games last year without Donald or Miller.

2 Likes

i dont think hes bad, but i do think he benefitted from playing with both

question is price range tbh

Yea, the Lions don’t really need another edge rusher, but big loss for the Rams defense. Floyd has 29 sacks and 60 QB hits over the past 3 seasons.

That Rams defense is down Floyd and Wagner now. And Ramsey is on the trade block.

Floyd is being released today according to Schefty

I am convinced the Rams are tanking in an attempt to get their future QB. These moves save virtually nothing in terms of cap savings. I fully expect everyone to go aside from Kupp and Donald.

You just don’t release players like Wagner and Floyd to save 5m and 3m against the 2023 cap.

It pulls the bandaid off now to open up $22.5M next season (Leonard Floyd). For Wagner it pulls the bandaid off and opens up another $12M next season. So while it doesn’t seem like much money for the current season, it opens up much bigger money the following year and going forward.

Now that I’ve looked at the numbers and speculated on the motive, it seems like they are doing a 1 year reset and will probably go hard again in 2024.

2 Likes

We need Greg Gaines or Dre’Mont Jones and there is a few others but need help in the middle.

If you cut Floyd and Wagner next offseason it saves a total of 19 million in cap space. How does cutting them in 2023 change those numbers?

If you could explain this further I would appreciate it. Or @DeadStroke could help clarify why it makes a difference in 2024 dead cap hits.

How I am understanding it now, it still doesn’t make sense to cut these players in 2023 for the minimal savings. Only thing that makes sense is if it greatly changes the 2024 dead cap hits. Which I didn’t know it did.

If you are going full tank, you had better trade Donald. That dude could accidently win you several games by himself.

Dead cap is a term and a figure that is always brought up by reporters, but it is not the most important thing to consider when cutting a player. The most important figure to consider is new money paid. If we look at Leonard Floyd.

If you keep him this year and cut him next year, you have $15.5M salary (New Money) and signing bonus proration of $19M ($6.5M in 2023 and $12.5M in 2024). If you cut him this year, you have the same $19M in signing bonus proration to recognize, it’s just all counted in 2023. So with Floyd, not only are you saving $3M in 2023 ($15.5M-12.5M), you are saving $12.5M in 2024.

Snead/McVay have decided that what they did in 2022 did not make them better. They are taking a one year step back in 2023 and trying to make room for improvements to the roster so they can compete in 2024. So they are getting rid of the older players that probably won’t be there in 2024, Wagner, Floyd, Ramsey, Allen Robinson and taking their medicine in 2023 which in turn frees up significant cap space in 2024.

2 Likes

dumb and dumber thread GIF

pills GIF

1 Like

Thanks homie!

There was talk of him possibly retiring after the SB win… Wonder if he sticks around for a rebuild

1 Like