Random thoughts II

I think Blough is an over achiever. Not a ton of physical gifts but he makes the most out of it. A scrappy bubble player is his ceiling.

Boyle has an upper level arm but seems like a dunderhead, he looks clueless when he’s in. For being on an offense for two years as number dos and looking like you have zero clue what to do with the football…his man-bun must be a little too tight. It’s straining the brain cells

Who knows about Seinfeld. Hopefully Goff stays healthy

Fellas we had opposing defenses calling out our offensive plays at the line a couple years ago so I’m not gonna worry a whole lot about a 3rd string quarterback Is handing The Vikings the keys to the kingdom somehow.

Has anyone shown an actual example of a practice God quarterbactually creating a problem by moving from team to team the team and revealing general general play calls?

Not sure that’s been documented

this offense is supposed to be designed so that multiple plays can come from the same formation and Goff will have the ability to call a late audible based on defensive alignments.

So it really shouldn’t matter what Blough tells them. It will be a chess match. Blough could say to a chess player ‘they like to bring their horses out early’ but that’s not going to have any real bearing on who will win the game

3 Likes

They should just tell Brunell to suit up dammit!

1 Like

Brunell would be better than Boyle and Blough, and you’d think of all people, he would have seen that six months ago.
My problem is stupid decision making. Why train two guys that clearly can’t cut it, then cut them after they have a head full of your strategies?
I don’t expect anyone to be perfect, but, a measure of common sense would be nice.
Don’t get me started of all of the injured “investments”.

1 Like

They were the guys they brought in or in Blough’s case, were here. So they do a camp w/ them, with a new starting QB brought in. Good to have the backups know the personnel, etc.

Then, the team drives the struggle bus off a cliff with Goff at the helm. Due to injuries, Boyle gets a start and sucks big time. Next start, not good but not terrible, but bith games are winnable with QB play that doesnt hurt you.

Goff gets back, gets the team going, and then misses a game. They turn to Boyle again and in a shootout he fails.

Goff returns to win the last game.

My question really is what did they possiblybsee in Boyle? Traits, measurables blah blah, I know, but he looked bad every game and then looked worse this camp.

Its the not grabbing a better backup in camp that gets me. You have a try hard cant make the plays guy and a guy who you think can make plays but has shown he cant. One of those guys has to go in the summer and a vet needed to come in. Im sure there were $ problems there, but they could have gotten creative with restructures, and still can.

They just dont want a vet backup. Is that due to Goff? Dunno. But it’s stupid, whatever reason.

QB is the most important position in the game, and to knowingly have two cant do it’s as backuos is bad management. Btw, thats where we still are w Sudfeld. He just looks better in a uni amd has a practice cannon.

Whoop de doo

1 Like

It’s a concern for sure. I tend to think they just didn’t want to have a quality QB behind Goff. They wanted a no body who didn’t provide much competition for Goff. So Goff could concentrate on improving and not feel the pressure of losing his job.

I want to believe that because the alternative is that we suck at QB evaluation.

1 Like

That’s why they didn’t trade for Minshew last season. They wanted to show confidence in Goff. If Minshew was here and Goff struggled there would have been calls from everywhere to play Minshew over Goff.

Exactly! Didn’t they see enough in real games?
I know last years offense sucked elephant balls, but, Boyle showed he had nothing.
He showed nothing in Green Bay.
He showed nothing in college.
Now, turn to the camera and say, “we’ve made investments in these injured players”.
Back to ■■■■■■■ paper Lions and I’ve about had it.

I also hope that this is the thinking. I mean, the numbers add up right? Either Goff feels comfortable and proves to be a solid long-term starter, or he doesn’t, in which case the higher we pick next year, the better.

2 Likes

A 7 year known commodity. Boyle II.
I feel so much better.
We could have just kept Blough and our offensive strategies in house.
At this point, I’m shocked that they didn’t move up in the first to take Willis.

There’s a variation on the following story amongst many teams, but the gist of it goes like this.

During a practice scrimmage, the coach noticed the offense is kind of loafing. When asked, the Quarterback complains the defense is always ready for them, because the offense is too predictable. The coach explains that it really doesn’t matter if the defense knows what’s coming, as long as the play is executed and everyone performs their assignments, the play will succeed.

The offense doesn’t really believe him, so they continue giving half efforts. The coach understands the real problem is failure to believe, so he calls in the next play and yells out to the defense what the play is. The offense is shocked, they run the play and get stuffed for a five yard loss, and everyone gets shellaced. The coach calls the same play and again informs the defense what’s coming, and once again the offense gets their rear end handed to them.

Coach calls a timeout and brings the offense over, informs them he’s going to keep doing the same thing until they man up. Once again explains the plays will be successful as long as they believe and execute, and that’s on their shoulders.

He calls the same play again, and once again informs the grinning defense what’s coming. Now the offense is pissed. They look like fools and they know it. They get so pissed they run the play perfectly, crush the defense, and pick up positive yards. The coach runs the rest of the scrimmage that way, calling out the plays, letting the defense know what’s coming, but the offense continues to simply execute and move the ball.

It really doesn’t matter if the entire league has the Lions playbook. This offensive line has the right talent to make that story a reality. This team has a coach they believe in already. The Lions don’t need to worry about the Vikings, the Vikings need to worry about the Lions.

2 Likes

Cool story.
What coach was that, again?

I want to say the first version of that story started with Vince Lombardi, but don’t quote me on that. I’ve always drawn inspiration from it in the form of believing in my processes and not concerning myself overly much about my competitors copying my playbook. You can’t fake being genuine, and that comes down to believing in what you’re doing and executing your plans decisively and accurately.

2 Likes

Lou Holtz used to add extra guys on defense and tell everyone that they were going to run the football.

I think Blough should know everything there is to know about our defense. If the Vikings were smart they would start him against the Lions.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the ticket.
I’m not pissed because he’s good. I’m pissed because he hasn’t been good since day one, and they cut him after he has a head full of our playbook.
It’s typically Lions. You could say, Same Old Lions, and I thought we had gotten away from that.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.