Rank your Draft Scenarios

How about a trade with IND?

Indy gives up their 1st and both of their 2nd round picks. The value is close on the value chart. You could probably add in a late round pick to.

I see INDY as a strong possibility for a trade scenario. They need a QB and they are far enough down that it’s unlikely a good one drops to them.

We will agree to disagree. Maybe we’ll find out on draft day. There are many different trade charts out there, but you need to go by what’s really happened in the past.

Exactly.

See previous 4 trade examples…

I would definitely prefer E. E maximizes our picks in what I consider to be a really good draft class (as opposed to last year). But at the same time it most likely will give us the same guy we probably would have targeted at 3, sans whatever lineman the Giants will grab. I happen to really like Okudah. He is a Jalen Ramsey/Peterson level comp. But no matter how we slice it, we’ll get a really good player at 5, and probable starters with the rest of those picks.

You never know. Sure, there could be a Trubisky-like trade if someone wants a player bad enough. I just wouldn’t plan on it.

In any trade down, I’d want a bad team’s 2021 pick which could turn into Trevor Lawrence. Screw Patricia and ‘win now’!! I’d rather win for the following 10 years.

1. Lions take Joe Burrow.
  2. Lions take Chase Young
  3. Lions get a haul to trade down only a little to a QB-coveting team. Then get somebody like Okudah, Brown, Epenesa, Gross-Matos, Delpit.
  4. Lions take Tua. (Depending on how things transpire in the coming months, this one might even displace my No. 3).

Scenarios that will make me angry:
A. My No. 3 above in terms of who is taken, but at the third pick, without the trade-down and acquisition of additional picks.

B. Quinn doing his Smartest Guy in the Room routine and taking some flyer on an edge-of-the-second-round type guy. If he does this while Burrow, Young or Tua are around, I’m not sure I can stay on with this franchise.

The Trubisky deal was the least amount of compensation I can find in a top five QB trade and it was still a helluva lot more than just one third. No way would BQ take an offer of just one additional third rounder

They aren’t drafting a QB in any of the high rounds when there’s a million other needs that need to be addressed. Quinn doesn’t care about 2-3 years from now when Stafford is off the books, he needs to win now.

As for this poll, D is the obvious choice. This is a 2 man draft with 3-10 or so being a toss up. A trade down with that haul of picks if Miami is dumb enough to offer it would be way too easy to take from them.
A would be the next choice but I’d take 5,18 and 39 over Young.

We are very likely to get our pick in this draft. The key is who they want and what gives the Lions the best value. I would see the Lions taking Young or Brown, but I would trade down for either D or E. The focus for Quinn has to be what can he accomplish in FA and how that gives us flexibility in the draft (much harder since FA first). If we went with E, this is the direction I would see:

FA - OLB Fowler/Judon, DL Jones

1. LB Simmons - speed, pass rush, coverage and flexibility
  2. RB Taylor - the every down RB with the speed we lack
  3. WR Johnson - an impact WR in the making
  4. QB Fromm - luxury of extra picks allows for a better backup option to develop
  5. ER Chaisson - another rusher to develop
  6. S Winfield - playmaker

My vote! Not predicting it, just hoping for it!

1 Like

I don’t see any scenario that makes sense other than B or C, maybe A or G. All the trade down scenarios are absolutely unrealistic, this just doesn’t happen, not with a top 5 pick involved. More likely a trade down would just involve a 3rd round pick or at best a 2nd. They are not getting 2 firsts to trade down, no way in hell.

Brodie, they don’t include 2 present year 1sts. Your D, E and F do, plus picks.
Your hypothetical trades are richer than the examples you cite. Thus JJ’s suggestion of a Miami trade sans 18 is more inline with your actual examples.

D

C

E

Yah, it may not be a 100% match, but as you know in negotiating, start high. Now they won’t get those exact scenarios, but they may get one or more. Regardless, the structure/shape of the deals are different, and people can vote for the structures. Personally I believe they can get that 18 from Miami, but we will see.

My vote, BTW would be

Miami deal that includes 18
Miami deal that includes 25-32
Chase at 3
Okudah at 3
Jeudy at 3
Jags TD w 2 1sts
TD to LAC.

1 Like

I would expect a 5 & 39 from Miami along with a 3rd or next year’s 2nd.

The compensation for a TD scenario has more to do with competition than anything. If Herbert is the guy teams covet and Miami, SD and possibly others get involved I would expect no less than a later 1st or 2nd in 2020 and a 1/2nd in 2021. Few teams are in position to acquire a top talent at QB and it affects the direction of that franchise for some time. We have seen this level of compensation for some time.

2 Likes

We would get a serious haul this draft if we went the scenario with 25-32 with the two second rounders. This draft seems particularly loaded to me. I doubt that Miami would do that deal TBH, but if they did we could literally have a draft something along these lines:

1. Okudah
  2. RB Travis E. Clemson
  3. Edge J. Okwara
  4. starting RT like Becton
  5. starting OG/OC like Cesar Ruiz (UM)

by way of example. plus we’d still have our high 3rd so we will get another WR or Safety there.