'Rat ball gets you in trouble:' How Detroit Lions plan to fix trust issues on terrible defense

It sounds like some players might be being a bit selfish, but maybe that’s me.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2022/10/04/detroit-lions-nfl-defense-changes-dan-campbell/69536740007/

Paywalled for me. Oh well.

Our players on defense aren’t good enough to be selfish.

1 Like

That’s weird. I no longer have a subscription, but was able to view the article. Apparently they changed the setting since I originally viewed it through the link in Birkett’s Twitter feed.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen sometimes as well with other sites the The NY Times.

So, what is 'Rat ball? Sounds gritty…

4 Likes

LOL

“failed to get a single stop against one of the NFL’s lowest-scoring teams”

Man, I’m sure glad I wasn’t able to watch that. Not a single defensive stop in the entire game. Horrid.

Thais pronounce the number 5 “hah”. Another way of saying LOL in Thai is 555 or “hah hah hah”.
The Lions gave up 555 yards Sunday, making them laughable in more ways than one.

3 Likes

this is PATENTLY false. we had one stop. granted the officials blew the play dead and people near the whistle stopped playing but MORAL VICTORY!!

I looks like the Lions need to make some coaching changes on defense. They always play like they are not prepared, clueless.

I don’t think the problem is necessarily coaching.

Last year’s extremely rare and dominant road victory over the Arizona Cardinals being one example. The defensive coaches came up with a great defensive game plan and the players executed.

To me, it appears that the players are simply not executing, i.e. doing what they’re supposed to do. Now, if the new scheme is too complicated or the defensive players are having difficultly applying it on the field, let’s see how they do in a simplified scheme. If the players still aren’t performing in a simplified scheme, then it’s probably the players, not the coaching.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.