RB Thompson vs RB Zenner

I like Zenner but I think Thompson took the lead as #4 RB last night. Some say special teams is the difference maker and Zenner has the advantage. Zenner missed an obvious one on one block last night in front of Agnew that was just plain bad. Thompson’s best trait is he breaks tackles in an impressive fashion and may have a higher ceiling. I also think Zenner is less likely to be picked off waivers than Thompson. Game 4 will be a big determinant for both backs. My depth chart is #1 Johnson, #2 Anderson, #3 Johnson, #4 Thompson and #5 Zenner.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwDunX0JZuE

1 Like

I would think the ZZ would be more likely to be picked up on waivers, especially after guys start getting injured. Thompson is a young player who is destined to be on a PS or a RB desperate team.

Agreed with the last reply. Thompson’s headed to the PS. But he has looked very good.

2 Likes

Against scrubs. Perhaps if you give him carries against 1st, 2nd or even 3rd stringers they might not look so tackle breaky…

You’re not passing anyone on the depth chart just because you break tackles.

There is a lot to learn as a rookie.

1 Like

Trade Zenner to Houston for a 5th. Houston just lost their starting RB for the season.

1 Like

No. Keep him. We might be needing him toward the end of the season more than a 5th round pick.

Zenner is the known commodity, he’s a reliable pass protector, and is a very good special teams player. While I liked what I saw from Thompson running the ball, I have yet to see him catch the ball, pass protect, or contribute on special teams… he looked good when his number was called, but as good as looked, I think he is destined for the PS…he could come in handy if anyone goes down for any significant time.

I would argue that we don’t really know what we have in any RBs since JBC (or Lombardi) didn’t use them like you should use RBs. We barely even attempted rushing the ball in a traditional fashion. A good percentage of the “rushes” were from shotgun with a team built to pass. And pass it did…

We know more about Zenner than we do Thompson for sure, though, but I’d like to see Zenner get more meaningful carries in an offense that takes running the ball seriously before I say he’s really " known".

1 Like

Very good point, AD. I have to agree.

If Thompson plays a lot on Thurs. then he has a spot on the 53. If they don’t play him much then they’ll try to sneak him on the PS.

I don’t think Thompson is going to make the Lions’ 53 whether he plays well or not. If he does play well, he might make some other team’s 53, but the best he can do for the Lions is make the PS. And frankly, I think that’s not a given either, the guy hasn’t really done all that much, and Thursday’s game will mostly be against guys that will be working at Walmart by Monday or on somebody’s PS.

I think the Lions will roll with just 4 RBs to start the season, with a extra IOL or LB until Ragnow and Davis return. After that, it all depends on who gets hurt, but I really think they want Zenner back cuz KeJo has a history of injuries and his ability to last through the season is somewhat questionable until he actually does it.

1 Like

I like what I have seen of Thompson tonight hate to see US just give up on him, he reminds me of Zenner how he fights for every yard only #49 can bulldoze defenders over and out of the way to.

2 Likes

I hope we hang onto the guy , he shows power, vision, agility, break-through ability, and elusiveness.

1 Like

I’d like for them to find a way to keep him on the roster too
Gotta be ST. Next year we could keep him around for much cheaper than CJ Anderson too - more cap space.

1 Like

Thompson seems to have really good vision, really good feet, balance, tackle breaking ability, and able to gain additional yards after contact. At this point, he does look like our “power” back of the future…maybe.