2016:
NO (7 wins)

2013:
OAK (4 wins)

Not looking promising next season based on history

The last time our HC was coaching on a new team

1 Like

So sell my Super Bowl or Bust hat?

Which Super Bowl of the upcoming dynasty are you referring to?

Isn’t a big chunk of that $40M dead cap still on our team? As in Goff? Or am I missing something yet again? (Perfunctory and insincere humility…) :smiley:

I’m guessing most of those teams were rebuilding also. Get rid of the chaff, build a new identity.

You only have deadcap for players not on the roster. Its the money that has been paid to the player but hasn’t counted against the salary cap yet. Most of the hit is from Stafford.

The cap goes up every year so $40 million 10 years ago was a way bigger part of the cap than it is today. Still, not great to have that much but what’s funny is that we are like #6 in cap space at the same time.

I knew that, but was questioning whether we actually had that much dead cap. And we do. I knew about Stafford, but Trufant, Coleman, James and a few others really add up. My education continues.

For the most part, everyone trading a solid, starting vet QB, ends up with a large dead cap number for a year or so.

Stafford accounts for $19 million, yes?

Over The Cap said $19M.

$41,821,791 is the dead cap right now for Lions A plus is we will have that to use in 2022 .

Matt Stafford $19,000,000
Justin Coleman $6,087,000
Desmond Trufant $6,000,000
Jesse James $4,287,000
Christian Jones $2,185,442
Chase Daniel $1,500,000
Danny Shelton $1,250,000
Romeo Okwara $901,668
Joe Dahl $250,000
Jason Huntley $217,734

How is Romeo Okwara carry 900k of dead cap?

was part of his old contract an was paid before he resigned.

Kind of fake dead cap though. So between Stafford and Goff we are paying 29M with 3 cheap important assets of a 3rd and 2 firsts in tow of future cheap talent.

So we’d have had Stafford at 28M on roster and 20M dead cap, or we pay Goff 10M- Stafford 19M and chose to flush dead weight and clean cap for next year.

Point is 30M for Goff, Stafford dead cap, and 3 cheap draft picks.

Or 30m ish just for Stafford had we kept him

So he shouldn’t be on there, correct?

no it counted for this season if you look at the info on his contract you will see that amount Lions had to pay it was like those void years they still owed him that this season even if he left.

Why you focused on matts charge why not look at the 22 million of waste that are leaders gave away to that list . There is still some more that could come off next season like Big V .
But i look at it as cleaning out dead wood an next season we have that Cap to use.