Redskins fire Jay Gruden

Bill Callahan is taking over. Ironically, Bill was Jon Gruden’s offensive coordinator and took over the Raiders job when Jon was traded to the Bucs. We play the Redskins in week 12, so that should give enough time for any special wrinkles Bill brings to the table to be put on film.

Daniel Snyder show knows how to rally the troops together in DC.

1 Like

Now if Mike Zimmer impatiently fires his OC and hires Jay, the cycle of life will be complete

1 Like

Really shows you how much of an idiot Snyder is. He had the entire offseason to put together a coaching staff. He rolls with the head coach thru 4 losses, including a blow out to the Giants. That was NOT enough to fire him. But, he loses to the Patriots and that’s the last straw? Losing to the best team/QB/coach in NFL history is what became unacceptable?

I know there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, but working for that dumfuk is easily the worst gig in the league.

3 Likes

He had a good thing going back in 1999 and by 2000 he single handedly screwed it all up. Snyder is definitely a fuckup.

Don’t forget, as far as timing goes, there were videos of Jay Gruden that went viral this week where he’s smoking “something” and hitting on a young female.

5 Likes

At one point they had Kyle Shanahan, McVay and Matt Lafleur on the staff at the same time

5 Likes

Just looked up the videos, not that anything he’s doing is “wrong”, but for the position he’s in, he can’t be caught on video doing those kinds of things. Maybe Jon will give him an assistant job on the Raiders.

Its not something I would think would get him fired on its own. But when he’s basically about to be fired anyways, and then something like that pops up and the Redskins have to issue statements about it, I think it pretty much seals the deal.

As far as working with Jon, I’m going to assume Jay sits out of football for a year. The Redskins owe him thru 2020 and any money he makes with another team just takes away from what the Redskins owe him.

1 Like

Still, that’s HC money that will be only offset by a consultant’s pay.
I would sooner expect him in LA than Oakland, though. Provide a little help to his ex-protege.

2 Likes

Good point

1 Like

I read an article a couple weeks ago that Gruden never wanted Haskins and that Snyder was pushing for Haskins to start.
Gruden wouldn’t do it.

1 Like

Snyder brought him in at 5:00am to fire him.

If I were Gruden, I would have shown up unshaven and only wearing a bathrobe. Then I would have given Snyder the Sharon Stone while he was in the middle of firing me.

9 Likes

I still think we should wait before announting LaFleur. He really mismanaged Tennessee’s offense in the early part of last year IMO.

He really hasn’t gotten Green Bay’s offense humming yet. He does deserve credit for making a really good DC hire though.

I agree that both McVey and Kyle Shannahan are really special offensive minds. LaFleur may prove himself to be as well. Just haven’t seen it yet.

2 Likes

Made me laugh pretty hard, dude!

1 Like

Mike Pettine was the defensive coordinator under Mike McCarthy in 2018. LaFleur didn’t hire him.

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction. Then made a good decision to retain him. I’ve always liked Pettine as a DC

1 Like

And thus the decision–betting Haskins start the Skins next game.

1 Like

I was off by one game

But I also see the flip side to firing before the battle of the nonTirans for the game of the winless…

This give a pass for next weeks game. If the new HC wins yay! If he beats beat by Miami who trying to tank… well?! He just got the new HC and he’s still learning! Skins and diploma are now officially out of the playoffs now imho!!

2 Likes

The Old Rob Ryan Special, I see…

1 Like

Instant Classic.

I see I have some competition for the Pithiest Bastard of the New Den award…

Tallyho!

3 Likes