Revisiting the infamous 3rd-and-1 against Buffalo one more time

Crucial play - you may remember it (haha). Chark is open but he runs one way while Jared throws another way. They don’t come close to completing the pass, kick the field goal, and Josh Allen leads the Bills (in a hurry!) to the win.

Most people assume Goff threw a terrible ball. Right after the game, Campbell and Goff both defend the play call. Campbell says that Chark and Goff weren’t on the same page. Goff says, “I wish I threw a better ball.” The play becomes another arrow in the quiver of those who think Goff “sucks” or, at best, can’t be relied on to make the big play. Arguably the biggest narrative coming out of that game is that the Lions have turned the corner; they took the Mighty Bills to the wire but were failed by their QB. Allen delivered in the crunch; Goff didn’t.

That was also the main narrative on the board, though I was far from alone in saying - naw, that doesn’t seem right. Lots of reasons to think Chark ran the wrong route.

Only three things are possible given the outcome of the play:

1. Goff threw a TERRIBLE pass.
  2. Goff misread the situation and threw to the wrong spot.
  3. Chark misread the situation and ran the wrong route.

Now, since many of you (and many pundits) seem to have missed Goff’s interview with Dan Miller a few days after the game, and since I still see that particular play invoked as an indication of JG’s shortfalls, even in the middle of what even his detractors agree is an otherwise strong stretch, I’m lifting up the key bit for you all.

Miller: When you look at that 3rd-and-1, do you just go back to what you said the other day, that I just wish I made a better throw? Was there something else you saw on tape?

JG: You know, I threw it kinda where I wanted to. Me and DJ just weren’t quite on the same page, and, yeah, there were other options on that play too. And that’s ultimately my job, to make those decisions and make them work and didn’t do it on that one.

And THAT, friends, is as close as you’ll ever see Jared Goff come to throwing a teammate under the bus - i.e., NOT AT ALL CLOSE. He still wants to shoulder the blame. It’s what he does. But he DOES eliminate the “bad throw” option (and history shows the guy is more than open to admitting to bad throws). That leaves you with either Goff messed up or Chark messed up.

Given how recently Chark got to Detroit, how much time he’s missed, and how much we’ve heard about Goff’s command of the offense - and how much input he had on it - I’m gonna guess Chark messed up.

Jared Goff reflects on Thanksgiving game, looks ahead to Jacksonville - go to 1:40.

4 Likes

That poor horse….

3 Likes

Yeah I touched on this on another thread. It dovetails with the quotes after the Jacksonville game. If someone is willing to read between the lines, it’s pretty obvious Chark messed up and made up for it by playing hard against his old team

Instead of throwing him under the bus, they didn’t talk shit to media and worked to feature him the next week. I really love this team for how much you can see they care for eachother

2 Likes

horse GIF

2 Likes

I know, right? Beaten for the wrong reason.

2 Likes

Here is espn latest stats (I think). Goff is 7th in yards, tied for a bunch of people with only 7 INTs. Completion % ranks 18th but still a respectable 64%.

This dude is playing at a top 10 level QB right now

3 Likes

He also is still ranked 10th in TD passes and we’ve handed off to JWill for 14 other ones this year… so if we didn’t have JWill he’d probably have a few more

And his QBR is ranked 6th.

Jared definitely changed what he said, he threw it were he wanted to, Chark was not aware the ball was even thrown or maybe he makes a play on the ball and everyone is talking about what a clutch pass it was. Instead, Chark is clueless as to what’s going on and somehow Jared is to blame.

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

2 Likes

2 Likes

I still say the throw is a non issue if they would have called the right play call. Run the ball! If you get the 1st down you call time out and go for end zone 3 times and then kick if you dont win it. If you dont get the 1st you run clock down or make bills call a time out. Either way you run a few seconds off the clock and kick fg. The st brown sweep play from earlier is the run i would have called

Indeed. Wouldn’t have been wrong of Chark to acknowledge that he blew it, rather than letting the impression that Goff was to blame out there.

HahahahahHAhAhahahAHaHahA!!!

First off, we love having you on the forum Jared. Not every day an NFL player joins to talk with fans.

I don’t think there are as many Goff haters as you think. I think you just get worked up at the thought of anyone criticizing his play, when it’s poor. He’s been lights out lately, and I promise, we’re all happy about that.

But you did mention above, Chark not manning up and taking blame. There is the slim possibility that he’s not taking blame because Goff was the one to blame.

I thought this was dead, but you seem to be really chapped that anyone could think differently. I honestly don’t know who’s wrong. It could be Chark too. I don’t care much for him, he hasn’t lived up to his contract.

But even the post game, ex NFL QBs blamed Goff on the play

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.