Robert Woods Anybody?

I’d rather have Cooks

1 Like

The room is not crowded. Guys like Raymond and Cephus can be cut if we signed another WR and also drafted one.

Guys the WR room is still weak. Granted it isn’t as weak as last season, but we still need at least 1 playmaker with long term starter potential (WR1) :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Why would the rams not just keep Woods and say :v:t2: To Odell? Odell could become a problem when he is the #3. They should stick with woods.

I think it’s a better group than you might think. Chark averaged 850 yards and 7 TD’s his last 2 full seasons with scrubs throwing him the ball in Jacksonville. St. Brown is a legit weapon who had 90 catches and 900 yards last year. Reynolds can be a 500 yard guy, he’s had 600 in a year before with the Rams. Cephus had a good connection with Goff before he got hurt last year. And Hock and Swift will be major players in the pass game. Goff should be able to spread the ball around. We do lack a true #1 and maybe we can draft that guy this year with the Rams pick at 32 or at #34.

I definitely think you are understating the group we have. I 100% agree we are missing a true #1 WR. If we added Woods, I believe our search for that guy would be pushed to 2023 and they would give Chark a chance to be that guy.

Chark would be your defacto #1 WR if we got Woods. He has the skillset and build to be that guy. He just hasn’t shown that consistently. I personally view him as more of a very good #2 WR. Woods has been one of the better #2 WR’s for the better part of the last 5 years. He did most of that damage with the guy who is currently our starting QB. He clearly would be our 2nd outside WR. St. Brown would clearly manage the slot and showed last year he can be an elite complementary WR. Josh Reynolds showed last year he can be a serviceable #2 WR. Not good, but serviceable. IMO he profiles as very good depth as the top backup on the outside. Cephus was legitimately our best WR until he got hurt. I know it was a weak group, but at this point he would be 5th on the depth chart and probably St. Brown’s backup in the slot. For what he has shown so far, he would ve very good depth at the 5th WR spot. Raymond was solid on returns last year and was alright as a fill in for us last year. Going back to a utility role where he has a specilized niche in this offense is a better fit for him. He has shown he can be successful in that role in the past. He is you #6.

How many teams would have that much depth in their 4-6 WR spots? We can argue that we lack a true #1 guy even with Woods, but our depth would be excellent.

1 Like

This sounds exactly like last year. The talk about what Tyrell Williams has done in the past. How it’s realistic he puts up numbers based on his career averages. Perriman, a former first round pick, has done this this and this…he has #1 upside blah blah blah.

Chark is talented, but he’s coming off a serious leg injury. Reynolds/Cephus/Raymond are largely the same types, or literally the same guys, as what we had in camp last year. Hell we even picked up two “STUDS” in UDFAs McKinley and Adams.

We have ARSB, that’s the difference from last year. I really like Chark, but come on pump the breaks a little.

Like I said it’s better, but it’s still one of biggest areas of need on a team that has more needs than most.

Cephus has a good connection with Goff last year? :roll_eyes:…when you have nobody to throw to, you have to throw to somebody. Our WRs sucked last year. A 5 game sample size where a guy caught 200ish yards is not chemistry. Cephus is a body who has some potential, that’s it. If this was another teams group no one would care.

I’m optimistic about the group and like our current top 2. I like Reynolds as a spot starter and depth player. We add another in the draft and I’m cool with Cephus as #5 with potential. But without adding a starter, this group is meh…

Friday Movie GIF

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone thought Tyrell was a #1 guy. Most people thought he could be a solid #2 if he stayed healthy, but had to play in the #1 role with what we had. I believe most thought Perriman was a solid 3rd option considering he was coming off a decent year with the Jets and a fantastic finish with the Bucs the year before. After him we had Brown who was a rookie and a big question mark and Cephus who most thought was decent depth.

Everyone pretty much said we had the worst WR group in the NFL.

As it stands right now, we still need to add ONE very good WR. If they decided Woods is that guy, I don’t believe it stays as a priority in the draft.

I highly doubt we add woods, that’s not the point of my comment. The point was the group is still not good. It’s ok I guess, but it is still a below average unit.

And are you suggesting Chark is a #1? I’m confused as to the context of the Tyrell comment. And there were plenty, as in many, who thought our WR core was just fine last year. That same mentality is being preached right now. We have ARSB, good. After him we have a Tyrell/BP comp in Chark (much better, but also coming off a major injury), Josh Reynolds, yes is a good depth player, and Cephus, sure another good depth player. We are lacking the most important piece to make this a complete unit. We are on the same page on that one.

I’m just frustrated with the topic, my bad. I’m just sick of hearing the stance that we are solid here, or good here. It’s good to have optimism, but some of it is stretched way to far. I get it, we are fans…we just see things differently.

The best team comp I would compare the Lions unit to is the Raiders before adding Adams. And I doubt the fans on this board would see it that way. Would probably come up with how ours is much better.

I like that you are sleeping on Cephus. Prepare to eat your words brother! In the breakout players thread from a few weeks ago, I predicted him having 800 yards and 7 TD’s next year. Book it!

I’m going to be laughing about this gif all day.

I’ve seen Friday at least 10 times.

I can’t see it and I do like Cephus. Only way is if we get hit hard by injuries. If we add a high draft pick or a veteran like Woods, Cephus may not even be Active on game days.

1 Like

I personally think we add a WR in the draft at 32 or 34. My whole point was if we added Woods or someone like him, that tells me they believe Chark or the person they add is the #1 WR and we would likely not add another WR until the late rounds.

2 Likes

I mean he got hurt early in the 5th game last year. So basically he played 4 games, Goff hit him with 15 passes for 200 yards and 2 TD’s. Times that by 4 for a full season. He’s got 60 catches for 800 and 8 TD’s.

More importantly it was the eye test to me, he was getting open. PFF had him rated at 71 for last season, which is a solid grade. Small sample but he’s got some game. His rookie year he flashed some as well.

2 Likes

You and half the board

He won’t be on the field much when we draft a rookie and he’s #5

He has potential, I didn’t say he didn’t have game.

We shall see brother! We shall see.

1 Like

He had opportunity last year. This year he won’t. He is currently behind at least Chark, St Brown, Hockenson, and Swift. He may be behind Reynolds and a potential draft pick.

Woods has been, basically, a volume guy his entire career.

Never more than 6 TD receptions in a season.

Consistently averaging about 12 yards a catch.

The Lions have that guy already in Amon-Ra St. Brown. They don’t need another one at $13M per year.

3 Likes

St. Brown plays a very similar style. Both USC boys as well.

They are going to keep him. Of course teams are calling about him. He’s a damn good WR, a helluva blocker and a team leader. McVay ain’t getting rid of him.

1 Like