Roquan Smith requests trade— nobody likes da Bears!

Always good to see the Bears’ best players wanting out of the dumpster fire….

3 Likes

They are talking about whether or not you would throw a first to the bears for him on 97.1 right now

2 Likes

This makes me happy!

1 Like

A first? Not when Detroit probably needs both to move up and draft a QB next year.

3 Likes

Unless you are Darious Leonard or Fred Warner, paying an off ball linebacker 15+mil doesn’t make a ton of sense. Especially one that has been inconsistent. I don’t think I’d even sign him as a FA with the money it would cost let alone give up draft capital.

8 Likes

The problems I have with that are….

#1… Roquan wants to get paid… BIG money.
Giving up a 1st …. and…. paying an off ball LB a deal in $20 million AAV range is not my favorite plan to build.

#2… Stafford’s elbow.
Which pick would the Lions deal to the Bears?

7 Likes

Chicago is a shitshow

I wouldn’t give up anything for Smith. Only teams that makes sense are teams that are polishing up a Super Bowl run.

2 Likes

Just to be clear, not my perspective simply communicating what 97.1 was saying

2 Likes

Agree. While he’s uber productive, and pretty good in coverage, his playmaking isn’t elite level.

1 Like

Chicago sports ownership is almost as shit as Detroit’s!!

1 Like

Those characteristics on the right team allows him to raise the level of those on the field with him. Don’t under estimate that.

What a nice story to wake up to. Its going to be a great day!

4 Likes

Can’t really agree there….
Roquan is only 25yo and could be the defensive leader for a team for years to come.

A team like Houston that is severe lacking in talent and has a rookie QB contract in place might be a good fit… but Houston would have to be looking at sending a 2nd round pick (and maybe a mid-rounder) since they will be at the bottom of the standings.

This staff has never put LB’s on the list of guys to pursue or pay. O-line, D-Line and WR is where I see the team investing money. We passed on some very good LB’s in this past draft in favor of those other positions. We have some guys we will have to pay next year so trading away a pick plus coughing up a big salary that is going to likely prevent us from keeping our own personnel seems unlikely.

1 Like

I can’t argue that Smith wouldn’t make every team better. For me it’s more an allocation of resources. Getting Smith now is a gamble that he will still be among the best when your team is ready to contend, because he is going to take up an appreciable percentage of any team’s cap.

Agreed.
Let him go elsewhere. We don’t know how this season shakes down.
We need to spend on DT first.

1 Like

Holmes doesn’t care about linebackers so don’t expect him to get involved here.

That said, I’d do a 2023 3rd and a 2024 2nd.

1 Like

It’s nice to see them in shambles but there’s no way they’ll trade him to us unless we vastly overpay.

2 Likes

Had a 48.8 PFF grade last year. He would fit right in with our linebackers. haha

5 Likes

I think the question if you’re Brad Holmes is the yardstick they used with the Rams. Is this guy a difference maker.

My opinion is, No.

Potential, yes. Potential gets people fired. Production keeps your job.

6 Likes