Roster Locks

As we start the plan for free agency and the draft, I think we need to identify exactly whats on the shopping list. How many guys do we have that are absolute locks to be on this team (unless hurt or traded)?

QB: 1 (Goff)
RB: 1 (Swift)
WR: 4 (ARSB, Williams, Reynolds, Raymond)
TE: 0 (could make a case for any or all 3, but I could see anybody getting cut)
OL: 4 (Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Sewell)
DL: 4 (McNeill, Hutch, Paschal, Houston)
LB: 2 (Barnes, Rodrigo)
S: 2 (Walker, Joseph)
CB: 2 (Okudah, Jacobs)
P: 1 (Fox)
K: 0
LS: 0

That totals just 21 players that are for sure making this team. Which means that we have 32 spots left to figure out with returning FA’s, guys under contract fighting for spots, draft picks and new FA acquisitions.

I think we likely bring back Williams, Cominsky, Badgley, Daly, 2 TEs, Buggs, Romeo OR Harris, Onwuzurike, at least 2 reserve OL, and Cabinda. Thats 12 more spots, which gets us to 33 lwith the following breakdown

QB: 1 (Need 2)
RB: 3 (Need 1 or 2)
WR: 4 (Need 1 or 2, Cephus an option)
OL: 6 (Need probably 3 new guys)
TE: 2 (Need 1, could keep all 3 Mitchell/Zylstra/)
DL: 8 (Need 1 or 2, could keep an extra Okwara)
LB: 2 (Need 3, possibly resign Analzone)
CB: 2 (Need 4, possibly Mike Hughes returns)
S: 2 (Need 2, possibly resign Elliott and/or Moore)
P: 1
K: 1
LS: 1
Total: 33 (Need 20)

Of the 20 we need, we have 8 draft picks, 6 of which are in the first 5 rounds, which should be considered mostly a lock (unless we draft an injured guy like Jamo who will be on IR). So that means we have 12-14 spots to fill with FA’S or guys already on the roster.

Observations:
-It is no surprise, but our biggest problem is by far the back 7. We should be investing at least 3 draft picks and some serious FA cash into the back 7 to help our defense take the next step.
-Need a better backup QB option. Would be curious what they think of Sudfeld.
-RG is a big need. I think a Vaitai/Brown replacement is drafted in the first 2 rounds. I think we add a depth swing tackle on day 3.
-Not a lot of room available on the DL. Maybe 1 guy needed, but we wont need a ton of bodies there.
-Same goes for WR. Pretty much set there, and I dont think we bring back Chark, so we can get more run from Jamo.

1 Like

Watched the Detroit Lions Podcast just now, and they made an interesting point about how the Lions may be looking more long term with this draft, as far as who’s gonna really contribute in 2024/25, vs immediate impact guys this year. They still consider Jamo a rookie for example, so that mentality.

So I agree with your list, I wonder though if they maybe look at WR, OT differently than we do? I still think they draft a corner or two, but maybe even a QB? FA will potentially dictate a lot as far as what direction we go in the draft

3 Likes

CB Lucas will make roster. So will Jones at DT IMO

3 Likes

Teams don’ draft first 3 rds to hope player develops by 2024 first rd normally are starters second rd look to play regular by hat least half seson third rd should have proven they can have a impact.

Means are last 3 picks would be hope we got one of the 3

2 Likes

Very possible, but certainly not locks

Uh Oh Reaction GIF by Tricia  Grace

I swear I thought the title of this thread read rooster locks. So I wasn’t sure what to expect when I clicked on it but I feel disappointed nonetheless.

scared rooster GIF

Super Bowl Wow GIF by Nissan USA

Look I like Payne also not knocking player I am knocking the price Sportrac has him at over 20 million per season 4 year deal Now you want improve D so do how about we pay 10 per year 2 year deal for David LB. a leader on the D who has seen it all an has a ring an still playing at high level.

Take the other 10 mill an add resign Elliott 3 years around 10 or less. He is example where other 10 could go maybe CB

now we have a safety an a LB who we know for what you want to spend on a DT who if posters don’'t say Payne you attack …He is to costly Thats a estimate cost for Payne teams like Chicago I have read might want him also some say it could go even higher an thats a mistake by any team or for any DT

Listen to you ideas but this stuck on Payne is wrong mouse

2 Likes

While this seems the traditional path…. We have already seen a non traditional path is 2022 working. As well as they drafted Jamo and told everyone he will not be pushed to start….

Non traditional can work …… who knows but I’m ok with it at this point if they do it some more drafting to sit and learn vs out right playing them

1 Like

He is referring to Jeff Risdon and Sandman ( as in the den sandman and sandman slowlights) talking at the senior bowl. There is a a great deal of speculation at the senior bowl that the lions are viewing the depth of the draft at certain positions as a good thing and focusing on BPA and positions that are shallower but highly skilled early so that “they have a ramp” per sandman…and not a drop in a year or two when they lose a player or two bc of contracts. Ie: taking Darnell wright early playing him at guard and then kicking him to RT and they don’t extend decker in a couple years and move Sewell to LT. Taking a qb early bc they don’t want to pay Goff and hurt their long term stability. Passing on corners early bc the position group is so deep. Essentially fans are looking at it too narrow of a scope. Thinking defense defense defense win now….and they are thinking “this draft specifically is one thst is gonna help us keep our window open longer 5-6 years down the road”

1 Like

What are you talking about Yote , I would like Payne but I stopped talking about him awhile ago, when he had the video of wanting to be paid. He doesn’t seem like a homeBell guy.

I’ve talked about Greg Gaines or Dre’Mont Jones mostly. And you told me we didn’t need to spend on Gaines becuase we have McNeil Buggs And Benito 3 big guy. Then you turn around and said how you think Benton is the guy you like and we should take. Benton and Gaines are about the same type player and exact same size.
Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

But you know what’s really wrong is you saying that we’re fine because we have Buggs and Benito Jones. Lol

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.