Rumor: Lions backed out of trade with Texans, Bill O’Brien furious

Rumor: Lions backed out of trade with Texans, Bill O’Brien furious

Houston Texans head coach Bill O’Brien clearly wasn’t happy in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft. The veteran head coach showed obvious signs of frustrations during the 90th selection.

00:33

/

05:21

00:00

Next Video

Untold Story Of Delonte West (ft. LeBron James)

Cancel

Autoplay is paused

According to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, O’Brien’s frustrations stemmed from the Detroit Lions backing out of a trade that the two teams had agreed to for the 90th pick.

While the exact details of the trade are unknown, the Texans would eventually select Florida outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard with the pick.

John McClain :heavy_check_mark: @McClain_on_NFL

Texans had a deal with Detroit for the 90th pick but Lions backed out at last instant and Bill O’Brien was furious. You could tell by his reaction on TV. They selected OLB Jonathan Greenard with their pick.

11:36 PM - Apr 24, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

1,002 people are talking about this

Alex Kozora@Alex_Kozora

Bill O’Brien is not having a good time. #Texans

Embedded video

11:09 PM - Apr 24, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

341 people are talking about this

Bill O’Brien has drawn the ire of Texans fans over the years and more recently for trading superstar wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins to the Arizona Cardinals for a package that many saw as inadequate.

O’Brien led Houston to a 10-6 record before the team lost 51-31 in the divisional round to the eventual-champion Kansas City Chiefs.

Since taking over as head coach for the team in 2014, the Texans have gone 52-44 and have yet to get past the divisional round.

As for the actual pick, Greenard dominated the SEC after transferring to Florida from Louisville. The 6-foot-4, 263-pound linebacker recorded 53 total tackles, 16 tackles for a loss, and an SEC-leading 10 sacks.

Greenard is an explosive athlete for his size with great footwork. He joins TCU defensive tackle Ross Blacklock, whom the Texans drafted with the 40th overall pick in the second round.

After losing former No. 1 overall pick Jadaveon Clowney prior to last season, it’s clear that even if Houston hadn’t originally planned to use the 90th selection, O’Brien and the rest of the front office are trying to improve the team’s front seven. After all, the Texans’ defense struggled for most of 2019.

My guess is DET was going to trade up to grab DT Elliot but he was snagged 2 spots ahead so then the Lions backed out.

Quinn said he had talked to O’Brien during the day, but sounds like if anyone was on the phone with Bill at the time it was not Quinn but another personnel guy. Too effing bad, Bill. You trade up for a reason, and if the reason is gone, no deal.

1 Like

My guess was Cameron Dantzler, he was the Vikings pick at 89, which explains why they withdrew at the last minute.

O’Brien has been a coach for years, but this is his first year running the draft. Something happened to upset him. He’s obviously downplaying it after the fact.

I don’t know how many times that I’ve heard about a trade of draft picks is contingent on the team trading up’s player being there. The player probably wasn’t there.

I haven’t seen why people think it was the Lions, but irregardless of which team it is, if the player isn’t there, you don’t do the trade. Since the final call on trades are made by the GM, maybe as a rookie GM, O’Brien didn’t fully understand.

3 Likes

This is what I’ve heard as well

Lol, O’Brien is the one getting roasted for this even by Texan fans. Acting like a child does him no favors after some of his questionable decisions this offseason.

I love it when I’m not the only one listening to the interviews. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Teams will not trust the Lions on doing a deal. Even when Quinn is fired, he will never be trusted again among his peers

I’m not a fan of Quinn but let’s no make this a bigger deal then what it is. He will have no issues making trades in the future. I’m sure this crap happens all the time. Let’s hate Quinn for valid reasons (there are plenty of those).

2 Likes

Quinn sucks at trading any way. So maybe it’s a good thing if teams don’t pick up when he calls.

3 Likes

False. This happens multiple times every draft. O’Brien seems to be new to this.

7 Likes

LOL

Such a stooopid comment
Gads!!
Grow up

3 Likes

If anything teams this will reinforce O’Brien’s rep as a loose cannon. Doesn’t mean teams won’t deal with him (or Quinn). This is a business, if there’s a reason to do a deal teams to will do it.

-whoops wasn’t meant as a reply to you Jaded.

If Quinn is fired, then why would we care if he’s trusted again by his peers on doing a deal?

I understand your line of thinking …but teams don’t give a shit, as long as they think they’re getting a deal.

No biggie. I agree with you

Now people think we should do trades when our guy comes off the board just to not piss off other teams LOL

Quinn doesn’t make a trade when nobody needs to move up to get their guy…Quinn sucks because he can’t make teams move up that don’t need to move up…
Quinn trades up…he gave up to much to trade up…
Quinn backs out of a trade…Quinn is pissing off other teams…

If Quinn trades back today … the narrative will be he didn’t get enough in return

1 Like

I wondered about that as well but can’t imagine we would have traded up for another CB which is why I’m guessing the pick before that, DT Elliot.

You can never have enough guys that can cover. Dantzler would have been cheap.

1 Like