Ruptured my Achilles Tendon today

I was hauling a furnace on a cart up a hill today and I felt a pop. It felt like my leg got electrocuted. I went to the ER because it hurt like hell and it instantly turned black. They did an xray and he said it’s not a full tear but its about 75% torn. I have an appointment with an Orthopedic Surgeon Tuesday. Has anyone ever experienced this? How long will I be out? I got hurt at work so it’s covered by Workman’s Comp but I am hoping to not be out terribly long. They put a boot on me today and I get around alright. I have a family to support, I am hoping to not be out long. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you. Cam Akers was playing Football after 5 months. I am definitely not in shape like those guys though.

EDIT: I am not a giant guy, but I am not small either. I am 6’3 275 lbs. I am definietly a bit out of shape and I am sure that’s the reason. It just sucks, I have a pregnant Wife and 3 kids. Not good timing.

EDIT #2: I am a Giant. I am the Liquor.

EDIT #3: Love you all.

15 Likes

Great. Same old Lions fans.

(Real talk though: That sucks! Best of luck in recovery.)

5 Likes

Man that sucks I’m sorry! I don’t have experience with it so can’t help there but all the best to you… and whenever you see the doc as for the Cam Akers recovery plan!

1 Like

That sucks Jim.

This was 40 years ago I was 12, so not much help for your current situation. Both my left and right achilles were separating from my heel plates. The left was far worse, so they casted my left foot below the knee and I wear that bastard for nearly 6 months. Ruined an entire summer of swimming in lakes or pools. It seemed like it took nearly a year to get back to normal.

Hopefully you heal quickly!

You should send an email about it to the Lions. Maybe Okudah will send you some advice and encouragement.

3 Likes

I had one pop while pushing a jeep. Felt like someone hit me in the back of the leg with a club. I didn’t go in until the next day because my daughter was getting married. It was black and blue halfway up my leg and my whole foot. Same as you, torn but not completely. I just had to wear the boot and try to stay on level surface. I don’t remember exactly how long I had to wear the boot, maybe a couple months. If you can get some light duty, you should be able to work, but pulling furnaces up hill, probably not. Your doc will tell you, but probably no heavy lifting.
You don’t want to risk tearing it completely or you won’t be walking without major surgery. That’s what Doc told me anyway.
Been probably 20 years ago though. I healed up OK though without surgery. Yours could be 100% different though

2 Likes

That sucks. No experience with it but I did tweak my knee about a month ago and it’s not getting any better. Going to see my doctor on Monday. Craziest thing…I have a projector tv in my basement and of course watch a lot of sports. I thought, well why just watch from the couch when I could get up and walk back and forth. After 2 weeks and 84 miles my knee said, “no more”. Most likely it was the twisting of the knee while turning around going back and forth. Otherwise I have to ask, how in the hell did I hurt myself walking? Getting old sucks.

1 Like

Damn, sorry to hear man.

You’re probably looking at 3-5 months to resume daily activity + rehab beyond that.

No sugar coating it, you probably won’t be doing anything athletic or laborious for 6-9 months. Hopefully on the shorter side since it wasn’t 100% torn though and hopefully you can resume working without issues before that.

Very sorry to hear… sucks.

If you get a bit crazy attacking the rehab & eat clean maybe even faster?

4 Likes

Jim, sorry to hear about your injury. I hope your recovery goes well.

A few weeks ago my brother stepped on a water bottle walking down some stairs and tore his patella tendon in one knee, his quad tendon in the other knee, and his left rotator cuff.

Long recovery in store for him.

Get well soon bud. Hopefully the Lions will be able to put a smile on your (our) face Sunday.

1 Like

when’s the last time y’all did a calf raise?

kidding aside, that’s a bummer man. heal up quickly!

3 Likes

So sorry man - Have a friend that just went through it. He was in a boot for 3 months. Light use once out of the boot. After about 6 months he was back to normal activity with the exception of hard sports.
Rehab sucks but I have learned that when I put the effort into rehabbing correctly the results are faster and better. I have one shoulder that is much more flexible than the other. Mostly because I worked a lot harder to rehab the second time. Praying for a speedy recovery for you and easy labor and delivery for your wife.

1 Like

Damn. Put him on IR. Guys is done for the season. Come back stronger next year! :joy:. Get better man.

1 Like

Sorry to hear brother. Hope it heals up as quickly as possible.

1 Like

That a rough go.

I’ve been truly blessed in the self mutilating department. With all the stupid shit I’ve done in 64 years, only came away with a few stitches and shattering a thumb.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear it, and wish you quick healing.

As a former Navy PT tech, my words of advice are to strictly follow the protocol they give you on rest time/exercises/healing time. I saw more than one person not following the protocol setup for them, and healing can be delayed. We had one Marine who tore the same one during his recovery, because he thought he was healed enough and tried running on it.

2 Likes

Ouch. Get well soon

1 Like

One of my high school basketball players did the exact same thing about 5 years ago. He thought he was good to go about 5 months after tearing his achilles, didn’t listen to his doctor or his coaches and tore it again playing pickup ball. Felt bad for him, but some lessons you got to learn the hard way in life.

4 Likes

Pregnant wife and 3 kids. Sorry to hear it, bud. Courage and a speedy recovery to you!

1 Like

Like to be there the first time Jim says, “Woman! Need a beer here!”

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.

A partial torn tendon is definitely better than a complete tear because partially torn tendons will regenerate over time. At least that’s what I was told with my rotator cuff and what I experienced with a severely strained hamstring that I thought was completely torn. The latter took about 2 month to largely heal with a huge boost from a cortisone shot after a week.

1 Like

Sucks to hear man hope everything goes as smooth as possible in your recovery :pray:t2:

6’3 275 is a pretty giant human being though lol :pray:t2:

2 Likes