Ruptured my Achilles Tendon today

I’m 64…I pity your ass. :rofl:

2 Likes

I know, right? You read the title of the post and you wonder if he’s trying to get the attention of the Lions scouts! :laughing: :rofl: :joy:. ‘Sign him up for DE!’

All joking aside, my best wishes buddy, and check your email.

1 Like

Word of advice… Don’t do this if you do get surgery.

I ruptured my patellar tendon in 2018 playing volleyball. The injury itself didn’t have much ongoing pain after the initial snap, so I declined painkillers. No issue there.

After the surgery, they had me on Percocet or something similar. I felt like I was doing okay after a couple of days, so I switched to just Tylenol.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

The pain came on like a tsunami. Overwhelming and unstoppable. Going back on the prescription pain killers took days to get the agony under control. In the interim, I’d get an hour or two off relief, and then after that the pain would have me counting down the seconds until I could take another one.

Don’t be a tough guy if you go under the knife. Take the prescribed medicine and stay ahead of the pain.

2 Likes

Good point… pain control is important for several reasons.

There are indeed some surgeries that warrant around the clock pain management with opioids… but the current plan would be to use several different types of meds to control pain (also known as multi-nodal)… so they might recommend Tylenol, gabapentin, and an opioid (Norco, Percocet, Oxycodone, etc.).

The goal is to reduce risk of addiction to opioids… but also achieve enough pain relief to start therapy as soon as indicated.

2 Likes

I’m cool with pain medicine per doctor’s orders only… I tread carefully as a person in Recovery….

7 Likes

Agreed, opioid pills are extremely addictive. Lost 2 friends to oxy addiction. Oxy is basically legal heroin once processed in the body. Tread very lightly with them.

5 Likes

Crazy shit brother….

And while we at it, think about what processed sugar does to the body without the jail time! :thinking::cry::heart::pray:

2 Likes

Getting old really sucks. My buddy at work blew out his Achilles at a trampoline park with his kids. It took him a long time to get back.

The addiction potential of opioids has a lot to do with how a person metabolizes them.

Depending on genetics… some people are “ultra-rapid metabolizers”…. which means they have more liver metabolism of the medication via an enzyme called CYP2D6 into theore potent metabolite (codeine to morphine, oxycodone to oxymorphone, or hydrocofone to hydromorphone).

There is testing that can be done… but a rough way to know is that ultra-rapid metabolizers are more likely to feel euphoria or experience drowsiness or “feeling loopy” with opioids… while those who are slow metabolizers don’t get as much pain relief or drowsiness from them.

1 Like

I would say that anyone coming out of major surgery should take the damn meds. And take them on schedule. Once you feel the pain, its already too late. Get ready for a long night of agony. Telling people under major surgery to avoid the meds is bad advice. Its like telling someone to never have sex because they might end up doing adult films or on the corner selling ass.

6 Likes

Not for any addict in recovery brother…

They are supposed to self ID and discuss the options and monitor the intake…. Period or relapse is possible…

3 Likes

Explain that to people when you recommend how they should take their medicine. “Do you happen to currently be a junkie in rehab?”

And you need to read…. And comprehend Simple English

Self ID! What part of that don’t you understand? It’s person responsibility…. Period.

3 Likes

Take care my friend

1 Like

Tore mine coaching youth football. 20 weeks for me since I chose not to go under the knife.

No surgery. It’s torn about 65% but it’s a clean tear. They put a wedge in my stability boot and I can’t take it off(besides to shower) for 4 weeks. I will know more after my next appointment. Happy to not have to go under the knife but hoping recovery isn’t longer.

11 Likes

Good news. Pretty much how mine went.
Stay on flat, even, surfaces as much as possible. The boot is a pain, but better than the knife.

It was probably alot worse before the game this weekend. Winning gave you super healing powers!

2 Likes

Hope you have a speedy recovery and can return to Okudah form.

2 Likes