Sandman/Detroit Lion Podcast Senior Bowl wrap up

I’d take Schwartz over Patricia any day of the week. Caldwell was better.
So far, Patricia has the same number of wins as Marinelli… I guess if you want to count the tie as 1/2 a win, he’s 1/2 a win better than Marinelli, but, then Marinelli won 4 games his second season.
We’re talking, bad!

1 Like

And he inherited a much better team than Rod did.

2 Likes

Well, year one his production did not equate to the money that’s for sure. But why? It’s hard to be effective when you get double-teamed a majority of drop backs because no one else is winning one-on-ones. He came into the season injured as well so who knows what impact that played. Not making an excuse for him to justify the cash by any means, but the unit as a whole was incredibly weak this year. I remain hopeful he can become more of a factor and play up to his contract as we build the D-line but, we are the Lions after all. lol

3 Likes

I do think there is a correlation between the uptick in sacks and his shoulder being closer to 100%.

1 Like

The numbers certainly do present a case with the slow start and all. He only missed one game but who knows how hampered he was when he came back and for how long.

Edit I dove a little deeper and I’m not sure why the stats show he played in 15 games, yet in his game log it shows he DNP against Dallas or Washington. I couldn’t watch the Washington game so I can’t recall if he played or not. Either way, something is goofy! Doesn’t change the point though.

2 Likes

Well, I was at the skins game and I can verify he didn’t play🤪.

Thanks for confirming!

It looks like the DAL game was shown as a missed game too (it just wasn’t even listed on the game log) because he had zero stats before leaving with a concussion, so that must be where my confusion was originating. One game either way lol.

1 Like

No, you are on point. He did miss a game and he wasn’t 100% for the first 6-7 games. Mienke did an article talking about it and the difference once he was healthy…I am looking for the article for a timeline reference.

1 Like

Opinions … we all have them

I see tangible progress with MP as a HC. I have hope

There’s a reason Schwartz is not a HC to this point so far. If he was that awesome a team would have grabbed him already imho

Just me

3 Likes

I just don’t see how Chris and Sandman or anyone else for that matter can have a strong opinion on Matt Patricia’s ability to be the head coach of the Detroit Lions based on what he did at senior bowl.

I didn’t think it made sense for some of the criticisms he took earlier in the week and I don’t see what he could be doing positive that going to carry over to the regular season.

Are the tangible things you see measurable?

I’m not even trying to argue I’m legitimately curious

Yep

Thanks for posting the podcast.

2 Likes

Thing is, we can take Okudah, ride out Slay to see what happens with the regime after this year, and add some SS help along with a cheap resigning of T Wilson. Then we can still take several swings at the pass rush. Say:

TD for 5 and MIA 2nd. Not being greedy. Then add Karl Joseph in FA at SS.

Okudah CB / AO
Slay CB / AO
Coleman CB
Walker FS / TW
Joseph SS / TW / Harris

We’d have 2a, 2b, 3, 4, 5a, 5b, 6 and most of our FA bucks left. Yes we have a lot of areas to improve, but that’s a lot of ammo left to help out those areas, including the pass rush. I’d be tempted to see if we could send that 2b and our 3rd to move back up high enough to take Kinlaw with a 1b pick. If we could come out of the first three rounds with Okudah, Kinlaw and Swift, I’d be stoked and wouldn’t miss not picking again until the 4th round.

1 Like

But if he’d lost the narrative would be different

I don’t see Okudah being the pick, but is possible after a TD scenario. FA will determine whether a position is on or off the table, but with DT Brown/Kinlaw, DE Young/Epenesa, LB Simmons, CB Okudah all at positions the Lions need today it makes sense to consider all scenarios. The Patriots always valued DB’s and LB’s more than most other teams so Okudah and Simmons are certainly on their radar in some scenario.

The press briefing says 9 people were on board.

Mercy.

The NFL evolves extraordinarily quickly. Especially in 2020 with the new rules changes.

Yes his resume is historically solid but his defenses were declining before he even became head coach of the Lions.

In 2016 his defense fell to 16th in DVOA from 12th the year before. In 2017 it fell to 31st culminating in giving up the most points in Super Bowl history to Nick Foles of all people.

His 1st year here people got excited because we were top 10 in yards given up. However that was a function of shortening the game due to Stafford’s back and we played the 6 worst offenses in the NFL the last 8 weeks of 2018. We were 27th DVOA in 2018 and 28th last year.

I’m not saying it’s a guarantee he fails next year and I don’t knock people who still have hope BUT I knock people who attack people like myself who don’t believe in him at all when there is tons more of evidence he’s going fail than succeed.

People reference the 9ers success this year and Bill Belichick’s start in Cleveland.

That’s fine but if I pointed pointed out how Jeff Driskel’s stats are comparable to Tom Bradys at the same number of starts and they were both 6th round picks as a case for why Jeff Driskel could become the greatest quarterback of all time then people would think I’m crazy.

That’s how people sound to me when they compare Patricia and Belichick or Shahahan. If you have to reference the statistically unlikely to make your case then your case is probably bad.

Seems you like to use DVOA only when it suits your argument.

It seems like you don’t like anything anti Patricia no matter what

2 Likes