Say no to Okudah

Denzel Ward had 2 career ints at OSU. Marshon Lattimore had 4. When you play a ton of press man with your back to the ball… and you are a top CB in college football… its hard to rack up picks. You can make the argument that you’d rather see some of those pbus turn into picks… I do think he needs to improve that a bit. Seems like he could have had a couple more INTs. This is why you have to try to evaluate players in a bit of a vacuumn. Look at their skill set and think about their responsibilities only. Some players get to rack up more stats because of scheme and opportunity. Okudah matched up in press often. He followed players… coverage often rolled away from him. The strategy on the backend was all about utilizing his ability to shut down his portion of the field. He rarely had help. This is why OSU recruits and develops top corners.

That’s not the point I was making and, presumably, you’re intelligent enough to know that.

If you have a shutdown corner, do you need a playmaker? Is Darius Slay a playmaker? The value is stopping pass completions and if they are really good shutting down half the field.

1 Like

Slay got eaten alive the one time they threw at him. Keenan Allen exposed him as a fraud. The fact is nobody threw his way because it was easier to throw at our anemic assed linebackers and the woefully inept CB2/3…Philadelphia got jobbed in this trade, paid a league high premium for a no talent cb who was a cancer in this lockerroom.
Think about it, P. Rivers throwing from the social security office beat Slay like a drum. Sad how far people will go to defend a guy like this.

Well…the original post showed multiple corners better at stopping pass completions.

I just think it would easier to find comparable players to Okudah later in the draft compared to other positions.

The original post shows completion percentages when targeted under different circumstances. It doesn’t show how many times one player was used to eliminate a potential offensive play. It doesn’t show what technique they were playing. It doesn’t show the effectiveness on a play. For example… letting a guy catch a 6 yard pass on third and 8 and making a tackle is a win for the defense. This is why this kind of information is supplemental at best when trying to evaluate players. It can be helpful to know… but it should not be a main factor in making decisions about these players.

2 Likes

I won’t be mad if we go a different direction. If we take the best tackle, or best DT, I’m not going to cry.

IMO, the big wildcard here is Simmons. It’d be such a Quinn thing to do.

Show me a college CB with a ton of INT’s and I’ll show you a CB who allows so much separation against college competition that he gets thrown at a lot. Okudah may not be a play “maker,” but he’s sure as hell a big play ELIMINATOR. Jalen Ramsey has averaged 2.5 INT’s over the past 4 seasons. He had ONE last year. Not interested because he’s not a “playmaker?”

Just don’t see it. We have 4 positions that rush the QB. RDE, LDE, JACK and 3t DT. Exactly zero of the players we have at any of those spots are lighter than 255 and that is IF they put Collins at JACK (would be better to replace Jones at WILL and bring in a guy like Terrell Lewis IMO). So I don’t see a guy who isn’t even 240 being put at any of those spots. So he’d be a very highly talented JRM (WILL) in this scheme. Is that worth 3-5 to us?? No way.

1 Like

Can you explain to me how Simmons would be a Quinn thing to do? Taking a high ceiling, Swiss Army knife like Simmons is the exact opposite of what Quinn does. The Quinn thing to do would be to take Okudah.

2 Likes

Be top 3 in every PFF grade?
The consensus on this guy seems pretty consistent
No idea if there are legit mitigating reasons for the PFF grades
If you don’t take him —- you take Simmons?
At three???
It’s becoming a no win pick
Lions luck …

Exactly. Quinn goes for singles in the first round.

Good point.

He has played it rather safe in the 1st.

But he does love Swiss Army knife toys. That was my point. Hock was a little like that. We could have went a bunch of different directions last year, to Rick’s point. But we took the guy who could “do it all”.

I will, of course, get behind a Simmons pick. I see the potential. But IMO the Lions don’t have any time left to make their run with Stafford and his eliteness. Simmons seems like a guy that might be awesome, but its a bit of a gamble and I don’t think they have time to wait for him. Okudah, Derrick Brown or one of the tackles seems like the play to me.

What?

These are directly related to his sole coverage abilities. They have absolutely nothing to do with team stats.

For those who think Okudah is an Elite prospect. Provide one CB related Stat to support your position.

Don’t you think an Elite CB. A CB that is drafted in the top 5. Don’t you think that CB should lead in some statistical categories?

Because other variables come into play when rating a CB… Like size, speed, etc. These aren’t the be all end all. However these particular stats should be very concerning for a CB people want for our system. He struggles in situations we routinely put our CB’s in.

1 Like

But that’s just it. He wasn’t a shut down corner. He wasn’t ranked in the top 5 in one single stat that you rank CB’s by.

Show me any CB stat of his that suggests he was Elite or a shut down cornerback. There isn’t one.

I personally think he benefited from being on a great defense and that he’s not nearly the elite prospect that mocks make him out to be.

Look, I don’t give rats ass if we do get Okudah , we thumb our GD noses at guy while our defense was dog chit ! ….I am NOT an Okudah guy BTW , but damn. I’m a Chase Young guy all day long , but if we land Okudah in the third round FINE…I’m not drafting him at #3 with our first pick though.

hard to lable guys a ‘cancer’ for our defense wen OUR defense was pathetic. just like fit, fit is imaginary when you are SO bad defense-wise. had we been rated 20th or sum shit…fit becomes MORE important…but when you rank in the 30’s, that goes out the damn window.

I’ve never completely relied on PFFs analysis. Let me ask you: Where does Okudah rank with the PFF experts? Higher than those other guys?

I mean Amir Robertson is 5;8" and plays for La Tech. Am I suppose to believe that these stats make him better than Okudah? Who is 6’1" and plays in the Big Ten?

Let me ask you: who is your guy here? Have you done a similar comparison of stats with other positions?

Luq Barcoo led college football in interceptions. Should we pick him at 3? Stats don’t tell the story in Football. This isn’t baseball… PFF tries to make the stats more effective… but again, they really aren’t indicative of skills. Jeff Okudah is an absolute consensus top CB. If you want to debate value at 3 or something… fine. This idea he’s not a great prospect is laughably absurd.

I’d be really curious to know if Patrick Peterson or Prime were number one in all these PFF categories coming out of college.