Say We Draft DT Jalen Carter (Stafford Trade Revisited)

And we end up with Jalen Carter, WR Jameson Williams and Jared Goff…anyone trading that haul for Stafford?

Yep, the Rams won a Super Bowl and that is awesome. But the Lions are now being built the right way. A great foundation is being built.

Goff will continue to be the discussion but damn, if Jameson Williams is who I think he is AND Jalen Carter is who I think he is AND we got Goff… that trade might be looking really, really good in a few months.

13 Likes

In that scenario it would be:

Stafford, 34 pick in '22 (Christian Watson), # 66 pick in '22 (Vikes picked Asamoah) for Goff, Iffy, Carter and Jamo.

Definitely like our haul if it breaks down that way.

3 Likes

We got Iffy as well. Gotta see how all these magic beans turn out though.

2 Likes

Technically we also traded Lewis Cine for Josh Paschal.

3 Likes

To answer the OP, we would have won the trade definitely if that haul is what we get and the players are successful at this level.

It would be a win-win trade.

3 Likes

Right. Forgot to add Paschal in there. I didn’t inlcude Cine BC that was not a pick we had before the Stafford trade.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I forgot about that part. That was a net 0 pick that just passed through here.

1 Like

Someone always has to bring facts in to kill the party.

2 Likes

And Paschal. Still too early to tell how that haul will turn out (or whoever they get with the Rams pick), but it’s certainly looking like the Lions will have gotten as much out of the Stafford trade as anyone could have reasonably expected.

3 Likes

I excluded Cine bc he was a pick coming from the Rams. Since it turned into 12 and Jamo. Josh should have been on there though.

Folks are painting a full picture of the total Stafford trade wake but I like to focus on the Lions pieces versus what the Rams received from the Lions. They got Matt and we got Goff and draft picks.

At this point it looks like DT Jalen Carter to me (with the Rams 2022 pick), Jameson Williams and Goff. Yes, a 3rd rounder as well who looks like a bust.

Would anyone trade DT Jalen Carter, WR Jameson Williams and Goff for Stafford right now? I would not. Of course DT Carter might not be the pick but we will secure a hell of a pick in 2022.

Yep, the Rams won a Super Bowl so as of now the Rams won this trade. BBUUUTTTTT… if the Lions win big the next couple years it will be because of this trade that looks amazing right now.

I suspected as much. That swap is one I try to block out of my mind as much as possible. I wanted Cine.

Never forget that Stafford wanted out. We didn’t just wake up one morning and say “hey let’s trade our starting QB.” And if we traded for Stafford right now, it would mean we would be starting Sudfeld. :joy:

2 Likes

Carter would be a great pick
A good pass rush makes everyone better

1 Like

Right Jarvis. You can really see Holmes’s plan here. Focus on OL and DL.

That is why I expect OG Jonah Jackson to be locked down early. Goff can really play with good OL play.

Holmes has had two drafts now. He drafted Sewell, Hutch and WR Jameson Williams. In rd. 2 he drafted DT Levi and Paschal. Out of 5 picks 4 are on the OL and the DL.

Holmes also locked down Ragnow and Romeo Okwara too.

If we add DT Carter the change is complete. The trenches are deep and mean. Esp. If we restructure Vaitai and lock down Evan Brown. From there add talent and this club will be primed to make a deep playoff run.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.