Say we pick 4 and this happens at 1-3

Is this the worst case scenario?

1. Bryce Young
  2. Will Anderson
  3. Jalen Carter

Who do you take with 4? Not sure any other D players are worthy…

2 Likes

Kelee Ringo maybe , or Miles Murphy maybe a trade down. But it’s a little ugly at the top if we miss on Carter or Anderson.

2 Likes

CJ Stroud … let the fireworks begin

Episode 14 Nbc GIF by One Chicago

2 Likes

Yes, at this early date, that is the worst case scenario. But getting the #4OA pick from the reigning Super Bowl champs is far from the worst case scenario when the season started and I remind myself of that everytime I consider this dilemma.

I really hope CJ Stroud balls out against Georgia, but loses due to failings elsewhere on the Poisonous Nuts. That might lure an unsuspecting doofus to trade up to draft him at #2 or 3. That could solve the problem.

6 Likes

Better yet someone moves up with us to get him at 4 so we can add and move back…only if we miss on Anderson or Carter

3 Likes

Really? Come playoff time, conference allegiance rules all for me. I’d rather the SEC lose than anything else. Go Ohio.

1 Like

Worst case in regards to defense. Maybe look at Miles Murphy. I like Tyree Wilson DE. I’ve heard he has aldon smith comps. Really long arms. I’ve seen him go as high as top 10 and also middle of the round so it will be interesting to see maybe grab corner first and then him or vids versa…:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

You’re right in line with my dad, even though he loathed OSU as much as anyone. I’d rather they go down to Georgia rather than play them in the championship game. I want to savor this year’s win against them. Even though winning 2 against them in one year would be special, I don’t want to chance it.

Do you take the best OT in that scenario I really feel having a great Oline even through injuries has let Goff flourish.Im not saying you pass a DL guy if they think he can be a star but don’t reach!!

2 Likes

What if Carter disappears the entire playoff and only test ok… and Anderson runs a 4.65 forty at 243 pounds?

The reason that Carter, Young, and Anderson seem cemented in the 1…2…3 holes is that we don’t know what we don’t know…

Let’s say Ringo has a pick 6 and some big run stops in the BCS… then at 6’2" and 205 he runs the 4.34 he’s reportedly capable of… No doubt he becomes top 3 consideration…

Let’s say Murphy tests off the charts… as again- he’s reportedly got 4.53 type juice at 270… his production and highlights are superior to what Walker brought to the table…

What if Breese rips the face off the combine and Carter is just ok, and Breese shows up in the bowl game and Carter doesn’t?

What if Q Johnston torches the Michigan D and runs sub 4.4 at 6’4" with crazy RAC tape…?

What if Bijan Robinson runs a 4.40 forty at 220 pounds? His film is easily there with AP and Barkley- so maybe?

What if the kid from Penn State tests like the freak or freaks, or Paris Johnson kills the pre-draft process? What if Skoronski doesn’t have 32" arms?

----- My point is that this is a really, really weird year… Go back and look at the December/January suggestions in here… around Christmas time-

1. Thibz
  2. Hutch
  3. Neal
  4. D Leal
  5. Kyle Hamilton
  6. Pickett
  7. Matt Corral
  8. Stingley
  9. Karlaftis
  10. Cross
  11. G Wilson
  12. Booth
  13. Burks
  14. Linderbaum
  15. Elam
  16. London
  17. Ojabo
  18. J Davis
  19. J Johnson
  20. “SAUCE”
  21. “ICKY”
  22. Carson Strong
  23. Lloyd
  24. I Spiller
  25. “TRAVON WALKER”
    … 32. “CHRIS OLAVE”

see below SI mock draft from Christmas Eve… So T Walker, Sauce, Icky, and Olave all went on average about 20 picks higher than estimated 3-4 moths before draft… and they accounted for “HALF” of the top 6 picks… My guess is we find at least 3 super risers this year too…

6 Likes

Depending on the draft order, assuming that a QB needy team falls not too far behind the Lions, that pick is trade bait all day long. There’s almost always a team willing to trade up to get their guy.

2 Likes

I can never under any circumstances bring myself to cheer for the Suckeyes. Would rather cheer for Erin and the packers or the Bears.

2 Likes

I would very reluctantly take Myles Murphy, looking for a trade down frantically.

And if a WR becomes worthy of that selection we should consider it.

4 Likes

It actually happens a lot less than we think. Last year there was none. The year before the Niners traded up for their guy, but that benefitted 1 of the 32 NFL teams, so individually there was a .03% chance of it happening. In 2020 there was none, in 2019 there was none.

2018 and 2017 saw more action but even then you’re talking about 6 teams total benefitting, or .09%. And most of those came in the 10-20 range.

You need the perfect marriage of spot, need and player, and it almost never works out. Generally if we’re in a spot where we desperately want to move down, not a lot of other teams are gonna want to move up into it.

This was hammered home when we picked #3 in 2020. It seemed like a great spot for one of the QB needy teams to trade up for Tua or Herbert, but nope. Both teams sat tight and got their guys.

1 Like

I will be rooting for both Ohio State and Michigan (unless they play each other).

1 Like

My No. 1 preference in that scenario would be trade down.

For example, if the Lions could move down a few slots while upgrading their 2nd Rd pick from the Vikings into a high 2d Rd pick, then I’d like to see something like that, especially since the Lions own pick is going to be more in the middle of Rd 2 or lower.

It happens in years where teams are really high on the QB.

Even if you don’t want to draft a QB, having teams think highly of these QBs is very helpful to the Lions as it gives them options for a sensible trade down and more beans.

I assume there will be more than 3 players in this draft that produce at the next level. We pay brad holmes to find those players, regardless of where he picks

4 Likes

To add to that, there may a particular QB that a team wants and fears that that one will be taken.

For example, unless Tepper is sold on Sam Darnold or Matt Corral as the future of the franchise, given that they’re still in the hunt for the NFC South, and given they may win a few more games, the Panthers may end up out of range of the top QB candidates.

1 Like

Oh I know, I’m just trying to say it’s actually pretty rare that teams trade up for QBs overall. Especially if you’re looking at it from a Detroit Lions perspective. We’re 1 team out of 32. The odds of spot, need and player coming together for us specifically are low enough that it’s not something anyone should be counting on.

1 Like