Schefter: Packers going all in on Aaron Rodgers for next year

They have a ton of cap room available in 2023 and 2024. So they can easily push 2022 money into those years and make one last run if that’s what they want to do.

Rodgers may be OK with cutting Cobb (although he is the one that insisted that the Packers trade for him, but there is no way Rodgers agrees to come back unless Adams is on the roster ($20.1 Franchise tag).

I still think this is lip service by the Packers, of course they want Rodgers back, but I don’t think that Rodgers will want to come back when he sees the players that he’s losing from the 2021 team.

Time will tell, I still think I’d like to see GB double down one more year with a worst team than they had in 2021.

2 Likes

They have a ton of cap room, but it’s not so easy. Not impossible, but not easy and they will have to cut players and/or not sign their own UFA’s.

Every team has a ton of space in 2023, 2024 … because those lists show maybe 25-30 players

That space means zero

2 Likes

They have 18 players under contract for 2023 and they count almost 110mil against the cap. If they extend Rodgers, and push all the money they can from 2022, he is likely going to count at least 30mil against the 2023 cap. Adams is going to want close to 30mil a year. Even if they push as much as they can to 2024 and beyond with him, I doubt he counts less then 20mil. Throw in Darnell Savage’s potential 5th year option for 2023, Adrian Amos being a FA, and Jaire Alexander a FA as well. Alexander alone is going to want top 3 CB money. Thats 20mil a year. Then they would still have to fill out there roster.

GB is going to be in major cap trouble if they decide to go all in for 2022.

1 Like

backing up the Brinks truck for Erin.

I agree with you. For years they had a garbage defense. They paid a few key guys and drafted well and the offense and ST didn’t do their part.

Keeping Rodgers would likely mean a team like we’ve seen before from them that has an awesome offense but a sub par defense.

If they are committed to trying to make one last run with Rodgers for 2022, its not hard to make the money work out for that purpose. It will suck in 2023, but that’s not the question right now. The question is if they can make moves to go all in for 2022. They can.

Now if someone asked me how the Saints can make one last run in 2022, I would be stumped.

2 Likes

It’s very hard for the Packers. There will be cuts.

1 Like

A-aron just watched Tom Brady bring a title to Tampa in 1 year -

…then sat on his couch and watched Matthew Stafford bring a title to L.A. in 1 year.

Best believe this eats at the core of Rodgers Jupiter sized ego. That Lombardi Trophy should be held in his hands only.

I think Rodgers will look for his “Super Team” to join and compete for a title in 2022. A new NFL trend has begun and Rodgers is next at bat.

He’s gonna chase that Rocky Mountain high…

2 Likes

Hahaha! Yup!

It is interesting though that we don’t see the nfl quarterbacks power play more. I understand the value of security in a game of violence - but just like when Durant blew out his knee, even if guys like Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady etc got hurt someone would still be there to offer the chance to pick them up after. But yea Brady essentially lined up what was available and then locked himself in with a team that could give him a shot at a ring. I wonder if we’ll see more QBs do this, and do what Stafford did.

I think you mean “stomped”…

This same idea was floated by 97.1 ppls. It’s viable. Main idea being that the GB front office can save face with their fans if/when they lose him. It doesn’t hurt them to say that even if they’re entirely unsure whether they’d be able to pull it off.

But yeah - gonna be hard to go all in for next year if they have little to no resources to do so with. Erin’s got to know that, too.

so now rodgers broke up with woodley, called off the engagement.

he must be allergic to beards.

Clearly she wasn’t weird enough.

Sinead O Connor is available…

3 Likes

Looking at this, there would have to be:

1 Like

Baldness is definitely cooler on dudes, man. :wink:

kill bill vol 2 bride GIF

1 Like

Yea, they got some real issues cap wise looking at that. I hope they restructure a bunch of deals and bring Rodgers back and risk getting nothing for him. It will essentially give them one more year at a chance to win, but then they would be in huge trouble salary cap wise in 2023-2025 and probably need to go into a full rebuild. I’d much prefer that over them trading Rodgers and getting a bunch of draft picks, he’s won back to back MVP’s, they could potentially get 3 First round picks from a team like Denver.

1 Like