Schefter reveals full Panthers offer

Well how come Patrick Mahomes didn’t go #1??

Maybe this was just a negotiation tactic?

Come out and ask for the world, but know what you’ll settle with?

I mean, these people all know each other. Nothing wrong with coming out asking for the moon but coming away with a couple prominent stars and a potential comet.

If I was making a trade for stafford with the Rams I’d start the same way, “so stafford for Donald and a pick straight up.” You say no? Ok, now we talk about Goff his contract and some firsts…

Lions did great here no two ways about it.

Especially two firsts in future years that will most likely not be affected by covid? I am as excited about this as anyone but we’re slicing hairs now… I would not want 8 overall this year on top of 7 I think future firsts are going to prove to be more fruitful

Are you saying Holmes would have asked for Donald and they said YES…that Holmes would say “Oh, sorry guys, I thought you would turn that down…”

If Holmes mentioned Donald he was actually saying I want Donald…but he had a second offer formed in his mind already. But if could have added Donald oh hell yes that gets done. I don’t know if the offer was Donald for Stafford and those draft picks and then Holmes turned to Goff and the draft picks. I am not seeing that detail reported.

I was seeing the Lions wanting a great defensive player and at least a #1 draft pick. We didn’t get Donald but we got a replacement QB on a huge deal (that is bad) but 2 1sts and a 2021 3rd. Okay, not Donald but yep, that is solid.

1 Like

The Panthers lost several one score games last season, and some of those they had the ball last. That made their appeal for Stafford large.
And they weren’t too subtle about Teddy not getting it done.

1 Like

I think both the Lions and the Rams agreed on Donald’s value. They disagreed on Goff’s value, which makes a trade more likely to happen.

1 Like

Like a bridge over open water?

Exactly. It’s negotiating and the lions came out well in front. So what the Rams win the SB the next two years even? We have capital much more valuable to building a team and are trusting Holmes to make the right decisions.

It’ll be fine. The lions are mending fences with CJ, picking up draft picks, hiring competent front office people. If it doesn’t work? Well, we’re all still here as lions fans anyway. Saul Goode

1 Like

Yeah, if you go by the trade value chart, it depends on where the Rams end up the next two years.

Pick # 8- 1400 points and there 5th was 39 points.

If the Rams do well and finish somewhere around pick 26 the next 2 years, pick 26 is valued at 700 points. Pick 88 this year is 150 points.

Obviously Goff is a lot better than Teddy though.

Obviously we gotta hope the Rams suck and give us 2 top 10 picks :grinning:

Wow. Why the f would you not take the Panthers deal. Goff cost a shit ton we would’ve saved money. Just flat dumb.

I have a feeling the Lions may never use those draft picks from the Rams past the 3rd rd. pick this year.

I think Holmes wanted flexibility more than anything. Goff and the draft picks does exactly that. If he is smart he will flip those picks into growing the team as he sees fit either through draft trades to get the guys he needs OR to get veterans at positions critical to the team.

1 Like

That’s an intriguing deal. It was a gamble either way.

Goff = greater potential than Bridgewater but also comes with a high price tag and has the possibility of utter failure. Bridgewater has shown what is capable of. He is a solid QB option at a lower price. Goff is the bigger risk but potential for bigger reward.

That leaves 2 unknkown 1sts vs a known 8th overall. I can see why Carolina would offer this deal as they need a QB and there is no assurance that the one they covet will be there at #8. It will likely cost them more to move up and get. If Detroit would have taken the offer they could have used Bridgewater as the stop gap will moving up to get a QB or even staying put and seeing what happened.

While I think the trade for the Rams has the potential for higher reward, it also carries the biggest risk. If Goff fails and the Rams go to the Superbowl the next 2 seasons, our GM will be the one that made that happen. If Goff succeeds and the Rams falter, our GM will go down as a mastermind.

Teddy would cost us around $20M per year. Hes not cheap.

1 Like

Same could be done by trading back out of that #7 or #8 spot…but you have to have a team willing to give something up too…but there’s a couple of teams with some picks this year as well.
Jags, Giants, and Dolphins just off the top of my head.
Plus it’s this year and not next year or 2 years from now…but again, would much rather have Goff than Teddy.

1 Like

Could you imagine having picks 8 and 9 in this years draft?!?!?

1 Like

And how much is Goff? Having back to back picks this year could do wonders. Plus isn’t this the last year for Teddy on this contract?

Teddy has 2 years left on his contract. Trading for Teddy would be an even worse move than when the Panthers signed him to begin with.

Teddy has 2 years on his contract and I’m pretty sure he costs 26 million this year.

26M is what he would cost the Panthers in 2022. Thats not what he would cost a team who traded for him. I can’t see anyone trading for Teddy at his salary. It would be insanity.

1 Like

I must have read it wrong, but that’s not unusual.
I thought that was the cost for a new team this year.
Still, his contract has them over a barrel.

More like a “bridge over troubled water” when you’re talking about the lions.

2 Likes