Seen It From Brockers?

Is he, though? I’m guessing they know there are layers/levels of “injured” and “contribution” and “growth” and what that means. I think drafting injured guys and nursing them along slowly is literally part of the plan. I don’t think the plan as gone exactly in accordance to plan, as dudes have been more injured than expected, but I do think this is thought out and exactly what it looks like…Calculated risk, with an eye on the future.

I’m 100% behind the Jamo move
100% behind drafting Mitchell
100% behind Paschal
…and not very excited about Levi

So to me, it looks like it will be 3/4, maybe 4/4…possibly 2/4…but most likely 3/4.
Combine that with late round home runs and 1st round home runs…

I’m all in with Holmes.

2 Likes

1 QB hit in 17 games is pretty soft. He’s taking away snaps from a player(s) that could be a part of the Lions future.

If you are an aging vet on a young team, you better be damn good. I never understood why we signed him. Better off giving the money to a DT entering their prime … let the ‘former player’ coaches be mentors.

1 Like

…which is FANTASTIC news. For us to be an 8-12 win team in year 2 of a massive rebuild…FUUUCKING AWESOME!!!

I Believe there is an element of truth to this too, but not great losing…just not bringing in awesome bandaids…just moderate bandaids.

absolutely, bro! Yes!

Yup - this is what I see, but I see a higher floor and ceiling for this year than you do. Exact same principle, just different level of faith. Philosophically, I’m 100% on the same page w/you. I think most guys are “win now” perspective. I have zero interest in that…and I think Brad is looking at it the same way…do your absolute best with the long term roster peices we’re adding now.

1 Like

Best thing ever when a poster reminds us all this is still part of a rebuild. hell I sure as F forget that…it gets lost in the wash of all the other positive.

I totally forgot. I’ll admit it like I’m going to an AA class or sum chit. but we knew that certain players are going to get cut anyway and some are not easy to watch go to. that’s what happens when you have a GOOD team…your going to have to cut players that you HATE to let go…with those that it doesn’t “really” matter if they are here or not. AND because this is part of a rebuild , the result of the season may be ‘lesser-than’ we have all hoped. we do not know until the games are played.

This is true.
I feel like getting a lesser tier DT would help us possibly get to the playoffs, BUT…it would most likely be a worthless wildcard exit.
Instead, we come by a 10 win season organically, just miss the playoffs, and trade up for a smokin’Hot DT that will scorch the earth before him next season.

This gives us better capital both in terms of draft capital and salary cap. Better resources for a LASTING, organically grown, winning machine…rather than a flash in the pan (which actually would be fun for a year or 2).

Window for competition will be much larger the way they are doing it.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

If this team makes the playoffs in year 2, my heart might explode. Sign that DT now. haha

1 Like

LOL - I think I am in the 1% that believes the coach is the most important guy on the team.
What I see
…lsat year, if healthy, we win at least 5, maybe 6
…last year, BRUTAL schedule
…this year, MUCH healthier (so 5-6 win team is improved to maybe 7-8)
…additionally, against a MUCH easier schedule (which puts us at 8-9 wins
…Add Chark, Elliot, Jamo, Hutch, Rodrigo (Mitchell? Joseph?)

Looks like 10 to me, bruh! Overachieve by a win and it’s playoffs (and bringing in someone like Suh just might tip the scale enough to do that)

1 Like

with Suh, I think we go places…However…I think he’s lost some of that explosion.

1 Like

We’re stuck with him now bc Levi is DONE!

SixDeuce is gonna be a solid player. He’s gonna get some great experience and develop nicely, and next year he comes a backup rotational guy (Fantastic Depth)

1 Like

I think we will see more Buggs then Brockers imo

1 Like

The only quibble I may have with a “deep rebuild” is the Lions current OL is ready to compete now. I think that alone means there is a chance for, in this coming offseason, to see a little more aggressiveness in FA and push things along.

Should know if the WR room is good to above average by then and see what we have in the DL with Hutch and others. Plus they already invited M Brown in for a visit this week.

Point being there is more than just youth right now, the OL timeline can push this forward.

1 Like

I choose Malcom Brown!!

1 Like

You can say that about a lot of savvy Veterans. This is common for vets. Especially ones playing in the trenches.

Don’t be so hasty…. He’s not getting cut. His salary has too many guarantees in it and we’re thin at DT.

Why not just wait and see what he does in actual game time.

4 Likes

I don’t think Levi is done. I’m almost certain Levi is dealing with a herniated disc or two. Those can heal and he can have a good career. It’s just going to take time unfortunately. Many of us on this board are waaay to familiar with that injury.

3 Likes

I agree Brockers is a vet an he knew last season was not a all out season it was to in his way teach what we had.

I think you will see a better DT this season maybe i am wrong but I think he worked with are young guys an we will see improvement an likely with his play also.

1 Like

THIS!!!

The ironic thing is that Brockers and Malcolm Brown had virtually identical pff ratings last year. Similar ratings and productivity and similar snap counts.

One is already under contract and literally not able to be cut.

The Lions would have 4.5M LESS cap space by cutting him vs keeping him, plus the cost of the new body - 2M, it it would be a net 6.5M change for a 1 year proposed solution for a rotational DT?

If D Taylor or Buggs were clearly better than Brockers every day in camp/practice- then we be hearing about them in the same light as Rodrigo….

He had one bad season, right after a really good one. He’s not 37 years old.

Let’s assume play around zero talent, and in heavy chaos May have contributed.

I have no issue bringing in M Brown to rotate with McNeill bad let Brockers and Levi or Taylor rotate at the other spot…. I just don’t think Brockers being on our roster vs a udfa type is what will hurt us.

Don’t be shocked if we see a 55 plus rating and 3-4 sacks this year from him.

1 Like

PFF rated Malcolm Brown and rookie Levi Onwuzurike identically for overall defense at 43.2. They were tied at 99 out of 108 interior defenders. Michael Brockers was graded 40.6 and was 103 out of 108.

OTC shows that there would be $3M more cap space by cutting Brockers. There’s almost $6M dead money regardless whether Brockers is on the team or not.

Buggs, Taylor, and Cominsky all will be paid $965K if they make the team.

16 games in 2021 and crickets in TC aren’t enough? I guess they’re playing the starters other than Goff well into the 1st half. Let’s see what he’s been hiding.

That bad season was his first in a while without Aaron Donald next to him. Aaron Donald’s first season in a while without Michael Brockers next to him was PFF rated #1 at 93.6.

1 Like

This is not accurate.

Lions would gain $1.025 million in cap space this by cutting Brockers…. but as @DeadStroke likes to point out…

the “savings” the Lions would actually realize is the $3 million in new money (the non-guaranteed portion of his 2022 salary) he is due to make.

Therefore… signing Malcolm Brown or another DT to a $2million deal would “save” the Lions $1 million in cash spent… which is the trie way to look at cap spending.

We are now post-June 1. That will shift to show the $3M cap savings.