Sewell Starting LT

And, I love the simple fact we have a draft pick that can cover this injury to our other starter….

I don’t care if he play left or right! He’s a good enough draft picks to play either

He will struggle but not a total disaster either

1 Like

You can but why would you?

Why would you not? He’s the RT…Decker is the LT.

2 Likes

I can’t lie, that’s a big but?

Where there is danger there is often also opportunity.

So while I’m sure the Lions would much rather have Decker starting at LT Sunday, this is a golden opportunity to see how Sewell stacks up as a LT vs. top notch NFL competition.

If he excels, it would become the stuff of legend. Everyone basically panicking about the kid at RT and then he goes out and is a stud at his natural position.

And if Nelson is good at RT and I’m Brad Holmes, I have a month to try and get a 1st round pick for Decker in 2022, or something close to that in draft capital. Maybe a team like the Bengals would jump at that. Decker is a proven top 15 LT on a good contract, one that will only get better year over year for the new team.

Then the Lions can go and get a true RT with one of their 3 first rounders next year and still have two left. They may be able to get a stud RT on a rookie deal. Or if Nelson looks the part at RT they could draft one on day 2 or 3.

This is a terrific opportunity. Instead of spending the next few years always wonder “what if” about Sewell at LT, now they will have solid data. And if everything goes the Lions way with Sewell and Nelson, I’m looking to move Decker as he heals up.

3 Likes

This type of situation is where I’m glad we have a straight forward honest coach like DC.
There will not be any guessing, no misunderstandings, or perceived slights.
You can bet these guys already know what is expected of them from day one of the situation. No BS. Team before ego. Just do your job!
Not like Fatty Matty, DC is with his guys.

Good post and welcome!

1 Like

It’s a possibility but iMO it’s also important the team shows values in these players as individuals and not just trade assets.

There’s the possibility the cap situation if Sewell plays at least as good as decker , there’s still huge cap savings at left tackle to afford decker if he’s ok being a top right tackle so they don’t need to plug a hole they create

I see your point, but disagree.

Decker’s cap hit for 2022, 2023, 2024 averages $18m.

Say you can get a 1st for Decker. And say you can get a RT with your 2nd rounder in 2022.

You’re making out like a bandit on the contract, plus you’re getting a third 1st round pick in 2022.

Bold, and it’s kind of a best case scenario in having both Sewell and Nelson play better than we expect. But if that’s what happens you gotta pull the trigger for a 1st rounder in return IMO.

You know as well as I do they didn’t draft this kid to be a RT. You can play devils advocate all you want but if he plays well I doubt the staff that drafted this kid is moving him back to RT.

Decker is getting paid like a LT, that’s typically a huge deal when someone is asked to move. I just don’t see how anyone thinks this rookie is going to play well enough to make any kind of statement.

So you are saying that on a team with very few talented players but plenty of draft picks…we should definitely give up one of our only good players for more draft picks?

Sarcastic Yes Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

1 Like

Yep. If Sewell holds the fort at LT vs. Bosa, he gets the job.

If so and Decker can be flipped for a 1st rounder I do it. I draft a kid to play RT on a rookie deal, or resign Nelson is he plays solid, you’d get him at a huge savings vs. Decker at RT.

The numbers game says this is a great move, if you have any faith in Holmes. If not, then you’re nervous about it. I like Holmes drafting for me. I do it.

You’re basically getting huge cap value and a top prospect for your rebuild. And I think you’re overplaying the Lions lack of talent. It’s the second youngest roster in the league, but there’s plenty of young talent there. We’ll see. This is not a one year rebuild.

Only if you are the kind of person that sucks at numbers. Congrats.

I’m sorry but you’re going to have to show your work. I laid out the case and I think it’s solid.

You just made a flippant insult. Doesn’t do anything for your argument. You have to actually make one first. And don’t expect me to reply if you don’t.

You’re new here, he’s a mod, there’s plenty more where that came from.

1 Like

Your case sucks and defies logic. Try again.

1 Like

You think he’s new here?

amused jean arthur GIF

Well, mod or not he needs to say something other than insults to impress me.

3 Likes

Good plan - set the new team dynamics up as “screw a player once he’s injured”. My word the guy broke his finger and you’re trading him to the highest bidder. That will send a great message to the other players. It is one thing to be outplayed and lose your position. Players expect that. But they don’t expect to be shipped out the minute they get an injury. We have 1 known commodity at tackle and that is Decker. We think we have a stud in Sewell but we don’t know. Nelson is coming along but still a question mark. Decker is on a very reasonable contract for a LT. I vote for keeping our better players until we have solid depth across the board and it makes sense for player and team to make a change.

3 Likes