Shep On Derrick Barnes

That’s exactly what i took from this. You have to work your way through coach-speak. Instincts are everything at LB. That’s why I’m high on MRod, and maybe Board. Not so much on Barnes and Davis.

1 Like

Right on Jersey.

I think we have good edge options now in Hutchinson, Paschal, Romeo Okwara, Charles Harris, Julian Okwara, Jarrod Davis (long shot to make the roster) and I think Derrick Barnes. Maybe Austin Bryant too?

In terms off-ball/MLBer options it appears we have Anzalone, Chris Board (I don’t have high hopes for Board), rookie Malcolm Rodriguez and rookie James Houston. I know I should put Barnes as an off-ball LBer as that is where the Lions need is and they have been training Barnes for this role. But color me skeptical at this point.

I think it is VERY possible we keep Anzalone, Malcolm Rodriguez, Barnes and James Houston as our offball guys but damn, does Barnes belong on that list? I know the Lions WANT him there but to me it sounds like he is working his butt off but that he is still struggling with assignments.

Off-Ball LBer is still a shit show for the Lions.

Houston was a bit overwhelmed off the ball in OTA’s. Sounds like they are going to use him more as a rusher, like he did at Jackson State.

“He’s actually in our room a lot right now,” defensive line coach Todd Wash told the media on Monday. “He’ll play SAM in base and then he plays the rush position in sub (packages). This whole week, he’ll be in my room, this whole week. We’re trying to calm his world down a little bit, with the mental side of things, and let him really show his athleticism that we saw at Jackson State.”

Yep, Houston seems like an outside guy.

But at least James has experience as an off ball LBer which is more than Barnes.

I am pulling for Barnes. I really like his resume. If he can transition that is awesome for the Lions. After watching Ernie Sims crap out then J. Davis I am skeptical of Barnes after reading he is good when he knows what to do!

Haha I feel your pain, at least Barnes wasn’t a wasted 1st round pick like the other 2 you mentioned.

2 Likes

The odds of both of them providing solid coverage on the same play…only a rocket scientist could figure that out.

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

1 Like

Yes, we here the coachspeak that implies he has some deficits currently. I don’t think that surprises anyone in this room. If he makes the team, it will be up to the DC to position him in a way that he can be successful. This may be a case where to do our best to play to his strengths and have support for him when he is forced to play to his weaknesses.

It never feels good because you never want weak spots on the team. But every team has positions that can be exploited. The great teams cover it well.

Haha and now he’s coaching offense with the Patriots. Hard to believe.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.