Signed another DT

Allen Park, Mich. – The Detroit Lions announced today that they have signed free agent DT Fredrick Jones and released WR Brandon Reilly. Additional contract terms were not disclosed.

Jones comes to Detroit after spending the offseason program with the New York Jets, who signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Florida State following the 2019 NFL Draft. He appeared in 46 games (10 starts) for the Seminoles and posted career totals of 67 total tackles, 2.5 sacks and 8.0 tackles for loss.

Developmental, practice squad, insurance policy guy!

We have A’shawn, Snacks, and Daniels all have contracts ending at the end of the season.

A’Shawn is dealing with personal issues. There are problems which can be dealt with and it doesn’t take four or five personal days to do it. A’Shswn may have a health problem, or, a mental health problem, or a substance abuse or a league disciplinary problem, something. In my mind, some of those can be ruled out, which makes others more likely. Doesn’t bode well for him. He had issues before, work ethic, immaturity, effort…my opinion the Lions are shoring up the position before the roster moves begin the end of training camp.

That’s an awful lot of speculation without any evidence. We simply don’t know why he’s missing camp. I’d assume the coaches do. I’m not worried about the DL unless they are still injured in Week 1.

This DT is just a warm body to keep camp flowing smoothly like a 3rd/4th QB while the real DL deals with injuries and whatever else.

A serious (terminal) illness with a parent or spouse could keep one away for longer.

Let me try a different way of saying this, personal problems usually do not take four or five days to reconcile. A funeral, a birth. Taking care of a family matter. None of those things takes five days. So, the different problems which can take more time to reconcile are the kinds I mentioned above. I haven’t accused him of doing any of those, but something is wrong which couldn’t be taken care of in a shorter time. It could be taking care of a sick family member, but any such personal endeavor like that would be covered in the media favorably. All we have here is silence. Which means the problem is something the Lions cannot talk about, he won’t talk about and the league hasn’t talked about. Teammates haven’t stepped up in his corner offering support on twitter, so I have concluded it is one of those which cannot be cleared up in one day such as those I listed above, could be a different one, but we have no knowledge of it. And, a substance abuse charge could include one just like Tate, where a prohibited substance was found in a test and there is an imminent sanction coming. That fits.and even though that is conjecture, it fits and should not provoke faux outrage.

Agreed, but again, I would think that a teammate would wish him well with his situation on Twitter or some other source.
Stay strong, prayers,peace…
You know.

1 Like