Skipper

I don’t put a lot of stock in pff grades but they have skipper as the 22nd best guard in the league. My eyeball test agrees that he played very well especially given the circumstances. If Jackson can’t go again this week and skipper plays well again I think you have to keep him at left guard and move Jackson over to the right side. Stenberg is great in the run game but 100% liability in pass pro. He needs more time to develop that technique. I think decker, skipper, ragnow, Jackson and Sewell give us our best starting 5.

3 Likes

I think Skipper showed better than Stenberg. If Jackson can go I’d keep Skipper in. Not sure about RG/LG, I’m sure our staff will put them in the best positions, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jackson stay at LG and Skipper at RG.

4 Likes

I would be very surprised to see them move a Pro Bowl LG for a career PS guy with a 1 game track record.

Not impossible though, I get ya…

7 Likes

I’m not sure if I want to move Jackson from LG or not… because he is pretty comfortable there already. But… he may be able to make a smoother change than the less experienced guys.

The big story here IMO….
With Vaitai having back surgery and $9.5 million in new money due in 2023… the RG job is open competition starting now.

Skipper, Stenberg, Brown, Forbes, and possibly Kraemer if healthy…. all have a chance to make an impression on the coaches with hopes to earn the starting job moving forward.

1 Like

It would be nice if we didn’t have to spend any draft capital from next year to fill the spot.

3 Likes

If people get healthy, Kraemer might have Wally Pipped himself

1 Like

Kramer!

kramer GIF

1 Like

Add Awosika to that list. Should be an interesting couple weeks if Jackson is still out

1 Like

Stenberg makes way too
Many mistakes for my liking and there’s always a few plays a game where he completely whiffs at his guy in pass protection. That might lead to a serious injury to Goff so IMO he needs to take a seat on the bench.

1 Like

Kayode…. Wile E Kayode.

wile e coyote GIF

I thought Jackson played better on the right side his rookie year. He can make the switch.

1 Like

That’s exactly the thought I had in creating this thread. Skipper has been a fringe nfl player his whole career at tackle. Maybe his best spot is guard. At the very least he has the size and length to be good there in pass pro. He also showed he can get push in the run game.

2 Likes

Good to see Skipper play well. I’m concerned about Jonah though, he has a finger/hand issue. Not sure if it’s broken. Decker missed half a season last year with a broken digit. It’s hard to block if you can’t grab onto these massive DT’s.

2 Likes

if so, our staff has done it yet again.
Skipper looks like a tackle, walks like a tackle and screams tackle when you see him. Put him at guard!

2 Likes

the silver lining for all this is if there was one spot our depth was pushing our starters, it was at guard, esp RG.

1 Like

I don’t know what to make of this:

From what i heard those two have never meant let alone played any football together or even been on the field together. So it sounds like complete bs at this point.

2 Likes

right - thats what the article said:

"As the most annoying people on social media were quick to point out, Skipper has only appeared in 14 NFL games since 2017, none against Armstead. But that doesn’t preclude him from having done it in the preseason, or in college, or in those 14 games against Armstead’s peers. "

1 Like

What makes those people annoying? The fact that they aren’t immediately calling for Skipper to be drawn and quartered based on a single - and seemingly baseless - accusation?

FYI, I’m asking the author of the article you’re quoting.

1 Like

yeah i saw that, but was listening to a 49ers fan podcast and he said that he checked both preseason and college with no connection.

1 Like