Slay to Eagles finalized

Confirmed - It’s #85 and #167. That’s good. (PFF says 166, but I believe they meant 167)

2 Likes

Hello Mr Okudah…come on down!

Sadly, no.
Only for unrestricted free agents.

No. Slay won’t be a Lion and won’t be a FA.

Hopefully, not at #3. If i’s going to be Okudah I’m really hoping it’s at #6.

2 Likes

I’m ok with it. Not a great trade, but apparently necessary.

Using the trade value chart, when combining the picks, it’s the equivalent of No. 80 overall.

1 Like

If this fiasco doesn’t work out, I am done buying season tickets. I am no longer a Quinn fan. WE should have paid him and been a better team. another 2.9M dead money.

1 Like

Yep - I’m glad they were able to get at least that considering the necessity and lack of leverage. I’d hoped for more but it’s clear that I was probably aiming too high.

No more finger wagging in Detroit! I liked Slay…made some solid plays for sure during his time here. I like Trufant as well though so I’m not really feeling like there’s an enormous drop here. The Lions will definitely need to target another quality CB in FA and hopefully even land someone in the draft.

I’m with you. I might not renew next year.

I’m not concerned about dead salary cap money. However, the loss of talent is problematic. Have to think Okudah is in play for Lions 1st Rd pick.

Lions had no leverage??? They had him under contract lol, that’s all the leverage required. If he plays out his contract and signs elsewhere as a FA we would’ve gotten a 3rd round compensatory pick so we basically traded Slay for a 5th and a year early for a 3rd, pretty terrible value for one of the best CB’s in the game.

2 Likes

Dave Birkett reported the Lions asked for a 1st and no one was biting due to the cost to Sign Slay. The Lions then dropped their asking price to a 2nd and that’s when talks heated up.

I think the Eagles got a good deal and the Lions a fair deal.

So now we have two 3rd rounders and three 5th rounders. I think that means we could be trading up at some point.

1 Like

I know PFF isn’t the end all, be all - but here’s the numbers.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s “much” worse at all and still have free agency and the draft.

I get the frustration tho and btw we had the worse defense in the NFL with Slay so…

2 Likes

Yes indeed! I do like that they grabbed Trufant as well. I don’t think the Lions made out too poorly here at all. I love getting a little extra draft ammo as well.

The game where Keenan Allen abused him didn’t help Slay’s numbers as he was terrible for 3 quarters in that game.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. That would only happen in the event the Lions sign less unrestricted FAs in 2021 than they lose.

Wow, nearly 17 mill a year. So, we got a CB that is the same age, same level of play for 10 mill a year, 3rd and 5th round picks and is going to come in with a positive attitude. I’ll take it.

7 Likes

I hope not, bro. It’s a good year to pick in the 3rd. I’d rather have 2 Gollodays and Dahls over 1 Tabor. No falling in love (necessary component to trading up). Let’s take what the board gives us and play the numbers game instead of targeting individual players.

1 Like

Fair, but I get why people would say the Lions leverage was compromised.

Bottom line - The guy is tweeting publicly that he wants out. The only way he played this year is if the Lions gave him a raise and an extension. Did we really want to be paying a 33 year old Darius Slay something north of $17 million a year?

I guess we could have let him sit out the entire year, pay him, and then let him walk next year to get the 3rd round comp pick (maybe - no guarantee of that), but I like the choice they made over that option.