Smart Money Skoronski

Grab him at #6 where LOMAS BROWN was drafted
Same spot Q Nelson and Walter Jones

Elite RG next to Ragnow and Sewell.
Decker is 31 with 2 years left on his deal

Makes our run game better, makes our pass game better, keeps our defense off the field

When we get up, can close games out with the run game.

Smart money :yen:

1. Grab DB Branch / Spoon or DT Kancey/Bresee

If we can move up with Minnesota again perfect grab both positions.

If not. Day 2
S Sydney Brown / Battle is nice consolation
Or DT AA a lot of you guys like him or Mazi

Grab RB Achane as a home run hitter

face it we are a lions we draft Kevin Jones , Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith, Kerryon, LeShoure Swift all in that 30-60 range. Achane is next

Round 3 grab a Long armed raw DB like last year - Darious Rush S. Carolina

Other options , Ricks press CB from Bama
NB J. Martin Illinois Kerby teammate

TE - Tucker Kraft around this range too.

Day 3 grab depth
LB Pace Jr.
DB Blackmon.
Edge Horton/Ramirez.
LB Houston’s teammate Miller
Backup QB I like Stetson Bennett
IOL Mafi, Ekiyor, Arkansas Center etc
K Moody
TE Strange

4 Likes

Here’s my thing…

You can’t convince me taking a RG at 6 to give us 4 1st rounders on the O line is good roster construction.

9 Likes

That’s where I’m at too. It will go against the trends that Holmes has shown so far according to the GM trends thread.

Well he can slide over to RT when Sewell goes to LT and Decker retires.

5 Likes

It is if you don’t think you are resigning Decker in 2 years AND (big AND) you are not liking any defensive player at that pick AND you can’t get any value in a Trade down.
I know lots of AND’s

Guess I am saying this could happen.

3 Likes

Yup. It’s a long term play.
Not my first choice, but I would t be mad

2 Likes

Here is my guess. If the lions go offense both picks at @Air2theThrown has suggested…I’m thinking wr and qb. W a priority on a on OL later. That’s my guess. WR im thinking JSN……if the lions go WE OL in the first I am thinking JSN at 6 and OL at 18 and hooker in the 2nd. Defense the rest of the way……maybe a Henley and brown or J Robinson from FSU…safety is a big need if they don’t go get Josh Johnson. I want Henley but wonder if the lions want him. Again, they like their money ball lb’s and if they hit on a late flyer amazing, but they aren’t going to chase a high priced FA at LB. If the lions decide on qb in the first I wouldn’t rule out moving to 3 to get their person. I do doubt that happens though. I think the most likely scenario is wr Ol and hooker later……

3 Likes

Yea….and that is the plausible logic to why it would make sense………the counter and the reality is decker is 29….in his prime……why is he retiring any time soon?

3 Likes

If we take JSN I might literally pop champagne while also popping chanpagne virtually here. He’d be an amazing amazing pick.

1 Like

I really like him too from the little I’ve seen of him. A Fred Warner-lite transforms this defense instantly.

3 Likes

Also here’s a random thought. Is us drafting the guy who replaced Jamo at Ohio State the fire he needs to start working hard in practice and get all his timing down?

If we draft JSN, it would mean that the coaching staff has concerns about Jamo. There’s no way around it. So for me, it would immediately signal a red flag, and that last year’s trade with Minnesota—you know, the one we celebrated at the time—is a pending disaster.

Just as you are concerned about the investment of multiple 1st round picks at OL, I’d have the same concern about WR.

7 Likes

Fair, but we don’t already have 3 1st round picks invested in our WR room like we do with OL. We have 1, Jamo, who plays a different position. Qe basically have 2 because of how good Amon-Ra is, but he wasn’t a 1st round pick at the end of the day so from a roster construction standpoint we wouldn’t be doing the same thing. It’s ok to have 2 1st round pass catchers.

Getting JSN acts as almost a security blanket for Jamo. One of them has to succeed right? Hopefully both of them.

Besides, the trade was low risk anyway. It was a fleecing. Some risks you take in this league don’t work out, and it’s way too early to say the trade didn’t work out, but when risks don’t work out you figure it out and move on.

If Chark is not coming back, we only have one proven elite talent in St. Brown. Yes Jamo is a relative unknown. It would make sense to me to take another WR to develop as it’s a very expensive position and you have insurance just in case.

To me the goal is to have 3 top WRs. Kalif is a great role player. Josh Reynolds and Kennedy are ok in a pinch. Not much else there and I expect to move on from Cephus. Likely none of those 4 will be in detroit after 23/24 season.

I’m thinking WR is likely with one of the top 4 picks the Lions have.

6 Likes

I would have no issue with taking him be it at six or slightly later on a trade down. But I would prefer we take a defensive player here and either go after Avila in round two to be our starting RG and an option to slide into centre if Ragnow misses time.

Or maybe Bergeron later in the second or third round to give us guard/tackle versatility.

We don’t really need another elite O line man. We just need some who is above average and won’t sink our line if targeted.

This “may” be smart money IF Skoronski was Quenton Nelson. But he ain’t. Not even close. He isn’t even a Guard. You are projecting the (perhaps) best OT in a TERRIBLE OT class into a different spot and saying it’s “smart money” and he’ll be elite there. Personally I don’t even think he’s the best OT in this weak OT class. Let alone a day one elite RG. Give me Schmitz at a much lower cost and the versatility to play all three interior spots.

4 Likes

If Chark does come back we still only have 1 proven elite WR. Replacing a “question mark player” with another isn’t the smartest insurance policy.

Jamo is gonna be better and more productive player than Chark even if he’s not very good.

2 Likes

This is the exact plan of action that had us pass on Donald. Jonah might not be here in 2 years. If ol is bpa you take him. The ol is the focus of our team

How many other times have we taken this course of action and its worked out for us?

Better yet, how many other times have we done this and the guy we passed on not turn out to be Aaron Donald?

It’s not like Penei or Ragnow are leaving after this year because then it would make sense.

1 Like

There isn’t a scenario where Skoronski will be the best player available. And let’s just say he is, he’s a tackle not a guard. Sure he’s being projected as a better fit for guard. But he’s literally never even played the position.

So a guy goes 6th as “BPA” and then plays out of position? It just doesn’t make sense imo.

The idea is sound, but with a later prospect. Even Darnell Wright at 18 makes more sense with the same line of thinking. I don’t like that either but it’s better than doing it at 6. Cody Mauch makes more sense in the 2nd round also. You can do the exact same thing with the exact same though process as the, take Skoronski at 6 and here’s why, strategy.

1 Like