So Davante is tagged. What now?

Some teams have a different approach to managing the cap (one I thought we’d have done had Mayhew not lost Suh). NO/GB/ATL/PHI have all taken aggressive approach to the cap, but it’s not without pain.

The Packers are losing to UFA LB D Campbell, TE Tonyan, WR’s (MVS/St. Brown), OL (Kelly/Patrick) and CB’s (King/Sullivan/Douglas) who all saw significant time. WR’s combined to play 100% of offensive snaps, OL combined to play 125% of offensive snaps, CB’s combined to play 200% of defensive Snaps.

The Packers will have to cut at least a half a dozen players (even with sweetheart cap friendly deals from Rodgers/Adams) and will be extremely limited in UFA. They will have to likely cut Cobb, Crosby, Lewis and at least one Smith edge rusher, if not both.

It all depends on who they cut and how charitable Rodgers is, but the cap is real. When you abuse it as long and as often as the Saints/Falcons/Eagles/Packers it’s not as easy to become compliant without some serious decisions.

Need to see what Rodgers extension looks like and if Adams does an extension.

3 Likes

I think people forget to factor in the players that naturally fall off of the cap. Its like their neighbor leases a Porsche and then later he leases an Aston Martin. They instantly say “how can he afford that!” But they forget to factor in that the Porsche lease was up, or will be up soon. Then the Porsche is gone and the Aston Martin’s lease is almost up, and he gets a Bentley on lease. “OMG is this guy made out of money!!!”

music video blizzard GIF

Yea but minnesota still has Cousins!

Stop laughing.

Most every team has about a 30% roster turn over every year.

Some teams routinely fit 5-7 probowlers under the cap. While teams like the Lions are broke, have no money to spend and are lucky to have one make it.

Hopefully, the Lions can make them pay, twice next season.

1 Like

Then he is willing to play on the Tag and won’t sign an extension. I don’t see a scenario where he accepts a long term deal that doesn’t pay him an AAV over DeAndre Hopkins 27m/year. Rodgers isn’t giving a discount (at least it doesn’t sound like he is), so I doubt Adams will.

The same thing as always, sign ARob if he ants to come on board. Or Cooper preferably but I think that’s a harder pull.

His original request was a two year extension that matched Hopkins at 27.5 but did not exceed him. The packers are unwilling to pay 27.5. Regardless 4 year 120 million is not going to happen makes zero sense.

2 Likes

That was before they decided they would retain Rodgers at any cost. That gave both rodgers and Adams all the leverage.

If you think there is no shot he gets 30m and or 4 years you should stop talking in absolutes. You don’t know for certain, and neither do i.

But it’s definitely more likely that if he signs an extension, he is the new highest paid WR in the NFL.

Cousins is now a top 5 QB in the NFC for sure with Brady and Wilson out.

They owe him $20M for 1 year or at least $44M for 2 years. That’s what tagging him twice looks like. So he would be silly to sign with the Pack for less without hitting the open market first.

Whatever you say bud. 120 4 years is a bad take.

1 Like

Just so we are clear, I’m no expert obviously. But do you think the Packers are going to pay Rodgers 50 per year and then let Adams hold out because they don’t want to give him the contract he wants? You don’t think Rodgers made 100% certain that GB will do what it takes to keep Adams? Adams can threaten to sit out and GB won’t let it happen, no matter what. And Davante has already said he wants 30 million per year.

Next question, why would a WR who is 29, accept a short term deal? This is his last big contract. Signing a 2yr/60 million dollar deal seems less likely than a 4/120. We can agree to disagree I guess but at least I included context in my thought process. Not just…you’re wrong, bad take…bud

I did provide context bud. He requested an extension at 2 years and 27.5. The packers don’t want to pay that. He isn’t going to play on the tag, it’s too great a risk. A deal will get done and it won’t be a 4 year 120 deal.

Hey, you initiated this back and forth. Didn’t need to, there was no point……but yea….bad take bud.

When did he request the contract extension? And where is that source? And was this said within the last week when GB took the stance of they will do whatever it takes to keep Rodgers? Or was it said when they thought last season was their last dance?

The direction has changed. And again, packers organization has zero leverage now.

But could the deal be 3/90? Cause I suggested that as well.

3 years 65 million??? That’s your contract prediction and you are calling my take bad? So he gets Mike Williams money?m…

You are right I don’t need to go back and forth anymore :+1:t2:

He’s clearly worth more than Mike Williams. Williams got 3 years 60. Maybe 3 years 75 for Adams? I could see that.

1 Like

Agreed on all accounts. I said somewhere around 3 for 65 and agreed with @coyote12 suggestion that might be 3 for 75……or around there….hey, go sign him for 30 a year. They will have a hard time doing they and keeping a competent roster together. They are in trouble regardless. Good.

1 Like

Good point, hopefully he gets 50 mill per season, lol - F the Packers

2 Likes

just for clarity… Yote said…. “he will see what Williams got and you can likely tack on $10 mill a year”

Which means Yote was also predicting $30 mill a year.

Supposedly Adams wants some near $27 mill a year… because that is the “new money average” that D-Hop got… but that was a bit of “agent speak” on that deal.

I am gonna predict Davante lands in the $25 mill per year range… but …. due to his age…. this also seems like a prime candidate for some void years to be tacked on the end to make the agent feel warm and fuzzy.

Good catch, I clearly misread it. I tend to misread a lot. :man_facepalming:t2: I misread it for 3 for 75. Add 10 to the life of the deal.

I think your take is very close to what happens. 4 for 120 just seems too pricey but, but maybe it will hurt them longer term. Go for it.

2 Likes