So how much cap space will the Lions have to spend in UFA

I believe that the impact on retaining players in your scenario may come down to what the lions do at qb. Goffs extension, depending how its structured, could cause the situation or solve the situation you communicated.

There has been nothing mentioned about a potential Goff extension this offseason. In fact, when DC did refer to the QB position, nothing he said even hinted at one. Quite the opposite is how I interpreted it. So as bad as some may want it to happen, it would be completely out of the blue if it did.

There is no reason to extend a QB under contract for two more years. This is the NFL and a lot can happen between now and 2025. It would be completely stupid to extend Goff beyond his current contract. Completely takes QB off the table if they do so. And QB is very much in play the next few years.

Messing around the OTC’s calculator:

Restructured Decker and Ragnow (highest possible) - added $16.5 million in cap space. Also signed all ERFA’s bringing the roster total to 54 players.

OTC1

$8.34 million to sign our current draft class (8 picks) after replacing the lowest contracts from 44-51

About $26 million remaining? Is that about right?

PS = $3.5 m
In-season = $5 m
Workout = $900k

Leaves us at $16.6 million for free agents

Does this look close? It’s not a lot of money left for Wagner, Ramsey, or really any big name free agent.

My response wasnt specific to this offseason and more the qb situation in general as there was some forward looking conversation in the intial post.

1 Like

Looks pretty close to me . . . but when signing UFA’s

Any multi year contract will be backloaded and maybe even one year contracts (see DJ Chark).
Basically the first $900K of a players contract won’t effect the cap, as the new contract replaces someone in the 51 man roster (or 53 man).

When the Rams signed Wagner last year to a $50M/5yr contract (which turned out to be a $10M/1yr contract), it was a year 1 cap hit of $2.5M and year 2 of $7.5M. So if we were to sign Wagner to a similar contract, we would only knock $1.5M off your $16.6M calculation.

2 Likes

At that price sign the old man and let’s see what he can do.

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.