So what did NE do defensively?

I really am curious what they did to absolutely shut down our offense. Or did they see we were doing the same thing often and capitalize, and that was the lynchpin that got us to being more creative?

1 Like

Part of it was injuries and then the annoucers talked about BB on how he doesnt defend plays or players but studies tendencies for the area if the field he thinks you’re going to attack

2 Likes

The injuries were the main factor in that game I think. No Swift and Chark, and St. Brown was very limited with the sprained ankle. We also had one of our worst rushing games of the season, averaged under 4 yards per carry.

We did move the ball in the game, but BB dominated us in the red zone.

4 Likes

IIRC 0-5 on 4th downs! Had no FG kicking game hurt as well.

1 Like

New England may have shut us out, but the offense moved the ball most of the game.

First drive of the game we got past midfield and failed to convert on a 4th and 1.

Next drive Goff threw a red zone INT.

Next drive we drove into FG range after a nice return, but Goff took a 3rd down sack to knock us out and we punted.

After an INT, our next drive we drove into FG range again, but Craig Reynolds took a 7 yard loss on 3rd down. With a terrible kicking game we went for it on 4th and 9 on the edge of FG range and Goff got sacked, fumbled, and the Patriots returned it for a score

The next drive was our 1st three and out.

After halftime we drove it into FG range, but once again decided to go for it on 4th and 2 instead of kicking a 51 yard FG. We did not convert

This drive we drove it all the way down to the 5 yard line, but again failed on 4th down.

We drove it back into FG range again, but failed to convert on a 4th and 1.

This time we drove in all the way into the red zone, but again failed to convert on 4th and 4

The last drive we just kneeled down to waste the clock as the game was over.

So the Lions drove past midfield on every drive they had, but one three and out and the kneel down at the end of the game. The majority of those drives they at least got into FG range and quite a few inside the red zone. The Patriots didn’t really stop this offense. We repeatedley shot outselves in the foot and made bad decision at critical moments.

6 Likes

You have quite the freaken memory!

3 Likes

I checked the play by play for all that, definitely not my memory. Only thing I remembered was us moving the ball but never coming away with points.

5 Likes

We were beat before the game was even played. Dans worst coached game imo.

1 Like

BB has a long and storied history of exposing young upstart OCs

2 Likes

They shut down an ailing oline with two backups at guard, both of whom are centers, one of which is a PS Long Snapper, two PS WR’S and our KR, and our #2 RB.
I’m sure it must have been rough.

3 Likes

Definitely agree it was the injuries. BB takes away your top player, and when most of the starting skill players are gone it’s going to be tough.

Also, if we would have taken the FGs when we were in position in that game it would have also been a 4 point game or so as it was played - it was somewhere around 5 FGs we passed up on and there was a pick 6 on one of the plays where we went for it…

2 Likes

So, he had to neutralize Kalif Raymond?

3 Likes

Exactly my point. As I recall they had a real easy job against our backup skill position players. I think we may have had Hockenson, but it wasn’t like we had any of our other players available. It was all backups.

2 Likes

He was actually double teaming Hock a bunch.

3 Likes

C’mon, this one is easy sleazy, the biggest thing NE did to shut down our offense is very simple… THEY SCHEDULED US THE WEEK BEFORE OUR BYE WEEK, ON THE ROAD…Lions were CHECKED OUT. Thats it. Thats all.

1 Like

Kyle Dugger blanketed Hock on several routes that I saw as well…

2 Likes

Speaking of which,

We were also missing Jackson with that finger injury. Decker band Sewell also didn’t have very good games. Judon dominated that game.

2 Likes

Nice!! Although Craig might have trouble making the game day roster. Jackson has been doing well, including 2 very nice kick returns. Doubt they dress 4 RB’s, but depth is critical

2 Likes

RB depth is good…. and fresh legs can be useful in December.

2 Likes