So, what the hell happened to Decker?

He looked SO GOOD in year one.

So, what the heck happened here?

Not sure. He hasn’t been the same since his injury.

3 Likes

Was it a brain injury?..because… jeebus that was brutal.

2 Likes

This season is over right now with him in at LT.
You can’t hide him every game and all game long with extra help.
And this is based on his performance last year too. Not just today’s game.

Give the Cardinals coaching staff credit. They kept putting their best talent over Decker and exploited him.

1 Like

I’d be calling Washington about Trent Williams

2 Likes

He was Greg Robinson bad today and I don’t think that’s hyperbole.

1 Like

“Taylor Decker had one of the worst performances of his career. Decker gave up two of the Lions’ three sacks — both led to fumbles — and was called for four penalties — two false starts and two holds.”

3 Likes

It’s an issue that goes beyond Decker.

There are unseen forces at work, when it comes to the Lions OL…this goes back to Eric Andsolek and Mike Urley…all the way up to the top-2 FA linemen (Wagner & Lang) not meeting expectations.

1 Like

I don’t remember ever seeing him play that poorly. It’s true that he hasn’t been the same since the injury, but holy shit, he was awful.
We were about to score on the sack/fumble he gave up. We punch another TD in, and that game is getting way out of reach and even more seriously impacting their game plan.

That one play alone was huge in determining the outcome of the game. Decker plays even mediocre, and we likely win.
Disclaimer Coaching was the biggest issue.

3 Likes

Wait, huh?

100% agree, but if they get it together, (which who knows if that even happens) we’ll still need more than a mall turnstile at LT to win games.

1 Like

True. Hoping it’s just growing pains. Can’t fix all positions in one offseason (and apparently not two :wink: )

Here’s to hoping they address OL next offseason. I’d be so grateful, if they could do a Snacks type trade for an OT, this year. I’m thinking Decker’s problems were between his ears, today. WTF was that dude’s problem. He’s not the best tackle in the league, but i’ve never seen him play that poorly.

Ok, so it was as bad as it looked
He better get his shit together… fast

Yep. The book’s out on him.

was the injury ‘foot-in-cement-shoes-itis’? I thought it was just a shoulder (‘just’) that doesn’t take into account how friggin slow he was.

BUT!!! You can’t hurt your shoulder again if you don’t touch the pass rusher! Brilliant!

I honestly don’t remember him ever being “SO GOOD”. At his best he was serviceable, but not an above average NFL left tackle. Overall for where he was drafted, his career is a huge disappointment and I assume we will be drafting his replacement in about 7 months.

1 Like

As stated, this may be the largest glaring issue. Decker was simply an embarrassment.

1 Like

A few times it looked like he was playing patty cake with his hands while his feet were barely moving.

1 Like

Watching him specifically, it looked like he would lose his man and just do the old, “Oh well” shoulder shrug.

1 Like

He was quite good for a rookie LT. Now that probably means he was simply average but when a 22 year old plays that position that well it usually project to them being a stalwart. Did the shoulder effect him long term? Did we scheme to protect him more his rookie year? No idea.

1 Like