Some of you might get excited

Suh seems to ALWAYS be double teamed. There are always 2 guys blocking him, but I have never heard of him complaining about it. Granted, I haven’t watched him much since he left Detroit, but the few times I have watched him and if I’m remembering correctly, it’s double up on Suh.

Or at least one defensive tackle out of the four that became free agents in the same season.

1 Like

One of my favorite players of all time, but do you think his ego could co exist and get along with Patricia? I can’t imagine it.

1 Like

Also wouldn’t be the first time a family member went out in their own to make comments. Regardless, we don’t know for sure how he felt about the Lions and he’s always been good about not saying so one way or another as to not burn any potential future bridges.

If you hand me each one of those guys, if I’m a 4-3 coach, I’ll put them all in the same spot. 3t. If I’m a 3-4 coach strictly, and they aren’t really ends, then you aren’t an ideal fit, I agree. But Patricia, who is what matters, has found a spot on this defense for a guy who can reduce inside, replace Snacks and A’Shawn for a quicker penetrating DT. Donald, just so happens to be the best in the NFL at doing it. I was one here who wanted us to take him and without revision I didn’t have a huge crowd around me. So I get the differences in talent. But you can look at these guys and see where they would fit in our scheme. Suh could log a crap ton of snaps in MP’s system inside and out, and we would be the much better for it, if we can make that happen.

1 Like

Is he really that? Have you ~really~ seen Suh play up and down anywhere? Or, have you seen him playing the exact same spot on every single defense he’s been part of since his Bo Pelini days. LDT in the 2/3 tech spot, drawing a double-team every snap, be it G/C or G/T.

What if Schwartz and Suh came back at the same time?

That would be a good fit right there…

2 Likes

I saw SUH line up at the Nose and LDE for the McVay not on the regular but he was used in those spots…0, 1T, 3T and 5T

1 Like

Wade had Suh play the nose in LA, he’s not a space eater, but that’s the role they tried to have him play the only year he was in a 3-4. Donald can fit in any scheme, guy is a freak. Daniels and Hand can both play DE here bc they occupy their gaps well (when healthy). Suh is a penetrating DT due to his quickness and strength, he is NOT good at occupying/shedding blocks

I swear i remember Suh lining up at de a few times when Schwartz was here.

1 Like

All true …except for the “he is not good at occupying/shedding blocks” part .

He does not want to occupy a blocker or two to allow a LB to make the play . He wants to rip through them and make the play himself, so on a play that is designed for him to 2 gap and occupy , shed and make the tackle or just occupy ,he can take him self out of the play and 1 Gap abandoning his responsibility in the other Gap because of his aggressiveness . It’s not that SUH does not fit here it’s more a waste of his talent to have him with 2 Gap responsibilities and why you do not sign a SUH if you won’t let him 1 GAP the majority of the time especially when we know Davis will over shoot his gap and not make the tackle that SUH will have laid out on a platter for him

1 Like

Yeah I remember pre snap shifts of Suh and Fairly sliding out towards Ansah’s side with Ansah going out in 9T/7T and Suh playing 5T… Schwartz’s Wide 9 often created the 2 DT being spread out

1 Like

I loved Schwartz as HC, but I doubt he’d ever come back. He instilled some teeth back into the Lions.

1 Like

Two years ago he was very open to the idea. His family still lived here, maybe still do?
Makes perfect sense that he would interview with Cleveland. Cuts his travel in half.

Sure he did, and even a stand-up lb a time or two. But when Daniels, Hand and even Flowers are playing, they’re movement is much more regular, so even to be called de/dt on sites recording stats.

So what you’re saying is, he’s not a fit for this scheme, which is exactly what I was saying.

what scheme? no pressure all coverage? doesn’t really matter who you sign at dline then.

2 Likes

I have no illusions of grandeur from this scheme, I do know that Patricia isn’t going to change it. I just hope they end up drafting guys who aren’t scheme specific.

Just last season he was a LDE in a 3-4 Defense.

He lines up at LDE and Shaq Barrett, (who is a LB) lines up on the LOS. Exactly like we do all the time, when we bring Kennard down to rush. Suh would play the Hand role in our defense. Who lines up both at SSDE and also reduces inside to DT when we want to rush a true LDE like Okwara. I’m not making him a Linebacker.

1 Like

He lined up exactly where he has since Nebraska. (2/3)
He’s not reducing anywhere. He’s lining up where he did with Detroit, Miami and LA.

Daniels, Hand, Snacks and Flowers actually move. Like literally moving their technique. 0/1/2/3/5/7/9

ETA:
Could he play here? Yes.
Will he be playing here again? No.