Some props for Hughes, Rodrigo, and Paschal in run defense

-0.7, 0.7, 1.5

Detroit’s run defense has stacked some incredibly impressive performances together over the past few weeks. Against the Giants, the Lions limited Saquon Barkley to 22 yards on 15 carries. Against the Vikings, the Lions shut down another marquee running back in Dalvin Cook, holding him to 23 yards on 15 carries in Week 14.

It takes all three levels of the defense working together to shut down a running game, and Detroit’s group effort against the Vikings on Sunday was evidence of that. Mike Hughes, who stepped into the nickel corner spot for the injured Will Harris, played a huge part in Detroit’s success in stopping Cook and Co. He recorded three stops and posted a dominant -0.7 average depth of tackle in run defense. Malcolm Rodriguez continued being one of Detroit’s most reliable run defenders on Sunday, posting three stops and a 0.7 average depth of tackle in run defense. Last, but not least, Josh Paschal is certainly living up to being the run stopper he was billed to be in the pre-draft process. Against Minnesota, Paschal notched two stops and registered a 1.5 average depth of tackle.

3 Likes

It’s like a dream man. The three guys mentioned are Rookie, Rookie, Guy on his Third Team. I know Hughes was a first rounder like 5 years ago. But the Vikes didn’t re-up him, and neither did the Chiefs. We are finding contributors from everywhere. It’s great!

1 Like

Hughes is not great in coverage. He’s okay, but as Sunday proved, he just can’t hang with the really talented slots in the NFL today. That said, I’ve been consistently impressed with his play at or near the LOS.

4 Likes

I have to wonder if he wouldn’t be a good candidate to try at safety?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.