St. Browns Upside?

Sure hands, crafty, strong and aggressive. He is a keeper and will likely put up WR2 numbers for most of his career. The lack of speed and size will prevent him from being WR1 but on got-to-have-it plays, I think he’ll be reliable. So, yeah, a bigger Edelman.

2 Likes

Yup - and we have deep threats that you HAVE TO pay attention to. Somebody somewhere is wiiiiide open. Just guessing, but I think Goff is gonna love that.

1 Like

100% - TERRIFYING to opposing Defenses. He’s the rare combination of “mean streak”, smart, freak athlete. It’s gonna get ugly out there on the right side of the ball. Ragnow/V/Sewell = injury tent for the defense.

3rd and 1, you say. GTFO of here!!!

1 Like

Yeah I was just gonna say this. I think Hines Ward is his ceiling as well although I’m a little hesitant to make that comparison because Hines was damn good.

2 Likes

Nice on Edelman. I like that comp a lot. Or Wes Welker.

1 Like

My upside dream is of the pipe variety. I’m wondering if ASB can develop into a centerpiece WR ala Debo Samuel. Now that’s a massively tall order. Deebo was outrageous last year. But ASB was beginning to do some things on jet sweeps and direct handoffs out of the backfield that reminded of the Niner’s superstar. When they were feeding him the ball repeatedly you could see a little poor man’s Deebo starting to shine through. Does he have Samuel’s Superman run through a brick wall and drag 5 guys into the end zone type otherworldly alpha strength/speed combo? Probably not. But even an approximation would be lighting in a bottle.

2 Likes

Do we use the pass to open the run game, or play action?
I’m very much looking forward to this season.
As for St. Brown, he can only get better in his second year.
I can’t tell you what his ceiling is, but, I believe his floor is something like Golden Tate. I’ll be happy to see that along side Jamo.

If this happens, I’ll be SO happy! I think he’s as tough as Tate (huge compliment), and I actually think Ra is nastier and more focused that Tate. I don’t think he’s as sneaky or athletic as Tate though.

I’ll be getting his jersey, if he turns out like Tate.

1 Like

I agree with the Hines Ward ceiling. (and know that guy was amazing)

He is the guy that can be your leader in the WR room. He may not be the most statistically successful receiver in the room, but he will be that leader.

1 Like

I see his upside being Stefon Diggs

Stefon Diggs GIF by The Undroppables

3 Likes

I sure hope you are right.

If we can afford to keep both him and J-Will, that’s gonna be some seriously nasty shit for a looooooong time in Detroit. Totally different animals. Both of them have a mean streak.
Love that Ragnow, Sewell, J-Will, and Ra have a mean streak. I’d like more toughness from the RB position. Sure would have been nice to have J-Will that Denver drafted, but I’m aware I’m just being a greedy bastard, right now. LOL.

2 Likes

I like a little nasty on the roster. I never want those guys to ever leave the team outside of retirement.

1 Like

Depends on who we are playing. If a team has a weak run defense, we should run it down their throats. If they have a strong run defense, gotta come out throwing. If they have both, we better be creative on offense. The Eagles will be a good test week 1, because we could not run the ball at all on them last year and they added a monster in Jordan Davis. We might need to throw early to tire out the D-linemen to get the running lanes open.

1 Like

Stefon Diggs is an elite deep threat. Aside from that, I do see a lot of similarities to ARSBs game. I don’t see him as a big/deep threat at all tho.

I like the Julian Edelman comp made from some above. That’s the type of player I see him being. I don’t see him improving on his numbers from last year as I Feel that was largely due to lack of reliable weapons. A complimentary WR to a #1, which is very valuable. But do not see #1 upside, not even close honestly.

Here is every catch by Stefon Diggs from his 1,500 yard season. Most people would call this 27 straight minutes of stuff we already know Sun God can do.

1 Like

I only agreed with 80% of the comparison, my bad

I’m not totally on board comparing a top 10 nfl WR with our rookie who put up solid numbers with zero competition for balls.

1 Like

I dont’ think Ra has the top end speed that Diggs has. Diverse offense with a good line and should have lots of spacing to create tight windows.

I DARE YOU to single cover Williams! Hahahahahahah!

2 Likes

Its interesting to me that normally people would say that St. Brown produced despite not having competent receivers around him taking some of the heat off. But when it comes to Sun God people say its easy to produce when you are the only real receiver to worry about because “he gets so many balls.” The coaches even talked about the need to get a big weapon in the passing game so that they can do even more with Amon-Ra, as the other weapon will dictate coverage and roll coverage away from St. Brown. But the guy produced despite not having that working in his favor.

Remember, the question was St Browns UPSIDE. One really promising thing about Sun God is his catch percentage. It was 75.6%. That’s one of the highest catch rates you are going to find for any receiver with over 100 targets. And as you have pointed out…its not like Calvin Johnson was on the other side of him rolling coverage. He was the only real receiving threat, and they still couldn’t stop him. That’s one of the reasons why he reminds me of Diggs, and I think Diggs is his upside. I think if anyone is bored enough to watch all 27 minutes of film I posted…they would come away with the same impression.

If you aren’t comfortable with the Diggs comparison because “its too lofty,” I will submit Jarvis Landry. I think all 3 fall into a similar mold and are nearly identical in size (6’ 195 ish). And all 3 of them started preparing to become pros before they were pros. We all know Amon-Ra’s story. He’s been around professional athletes his entire life, including his dad and brother. Diggs was a highly regarded recruit that decided to stay home at Maryland, where Keenan McCardell had him training like a pro. Then there is Jarvis Landry. Odell Beckham tells the story of how Jarvis took him under his wing and would have him doing a bunch of extra stuff the coaches weren’t asking for. Then when OBJ got to the pros he said it was an easy transition, because the stuff that was new to other rookies was the same shit Jarvis already had them doing.

If you watch the video I posted, that’s exactly what Diggs did in his 1,500 yard season. Diggs earned enough confidence from the coaches that they kept calling his number on the short and intermediate stuff. And he earned enough confidence from his quarterback that Josh would throw him the ball even when it didn’t seem like he was open…or when it was blind trust that he would get open. Earning trust is part of a receivers job. And a big part of that comes from work ethic. Putting in the work helps Amon-Ra play better. But the QBs and the coaches SEEING him put in the work gets them more confident in calling his number on gameday…hence an increase in targets.

2 Likes

Amon Ra is a short to intermediate route runner. These type of WRs do have high catch percentages as the routes they are running develop quick and closer to the line of scrimmage. Verses outside WRs running longer developing routes. The type of routes they run often have a correlation to catch %.

I’m not “hating” on him by saying he produced due to lack of other reliable pass catchers. It’s just simply the truth. When you don’t have much to throw to, you throw to your best WR. Which St. Brown clearly was. And the fact that he runs a lot of routes near the line of scrimmage means he’s gonna get a lot of throws. And he won’t command extra attention because he doesn’t have that game breaking ability that guys like stefonDiggs has. It’s not a coincidence that he had his best games in the second half of the season when either swift or Hock or both missed games.

I like ARSB a lot. He is a steal of a 4th rounder. I just don’t think he has stefon Diggs upside. Jarvis Landry is a much better comp imo but he also doesn’t really compare to Diggs for me personally. Landry also isn’t much of a deep threat at all.

Landry/St. Brown I can see
Diggs/St. Brown I cannot :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes