Stafford now has as many rings as Farve & ARog

Staff has some pretty impressive asterisks next to his name that will help. I personally think he is first ballot now. But just two more years with Rams and he should be over 50% winning percentage and have 3 straight winning seasons. That will help remove a few more of the negative asterisks next to his name.
At that point he will have a lifetime winning percentage, SB, top 5 probably in most QB categories, QB the top 2 (at least) WR annual receiving records and possibly a PB, MVP or other playoff stats. At that point it is not even a discussion - just waiting out the 5 years.

2 Likes

It sure seems like the way rogers, farve and breeze is talked about didnt even realize the only had 1 super bowl

1 Like

Yes to all of this. The anti-Stafford sentiment is fading quickly. He has a great shot to get MVP, lots of yards, be top 5 for the rest of his career, lots of playoff victories, division titles, etc.

Just making a joke out of his detractors, for the most part.

1 Like

Part of that is because they did alot outside of their 1 Super Bowl victory. Rodgers has 10 double digit win seasons, 8 division titles, 11 playoff appearances and had his team in the NFC Championship game 5 times. Favre had 10 double digit win seasons, 8 division titles, 12 playoff appearances and had his team in the NFC Championship 5 times. Brees had 10 double digit win seasons, 8 division titles, 10 playoff appearances and had his team in the Conference Championship 3 times.

Thatā€™s alot of winning associated with their name and that people saw on TV.

3 Likes

Yes to this - It is really difficult to get to and then win the superbowl. Outside of New England few teams have been able to even get back. Much less win. The runs that San Fran, Dallas. Pittsburg are really impressive. Over the last 2 decades NE is the only team that routinely got there. Schedules, Free Agency, injuries and even refereeing all play a part.

1 Like

Great reply

5 more than Detroit has in the history of the NFC Central and NFC North combined.

1 Like

I love Stafford. But Lions fans are really not in sync with the national perspective. Even with this superbowl, he is not a ā€œLockā€ for first ballot hall of fame. The voters just donā€™t think like that. He has the volume stats and he has the ring, but he has never sniffed an MVP or an all pro. Heā€™s never been considered the best, even for a particular year. He should get in now, but if he were to never win another, he might not be as much of a lock as you think. You donā€™t have to look far to see the way the national talking heads are looking at it. At least heā€™s in the debate now though.

By the way I hate most of these people, but you have to remember who is voting. It certainly isnā€™t a lock if he were to retire tomorrow.

My feelings exactly @Canucklehead.

I am a Stafford fan and I just donā€™t think heā€™s a lock for all the reasons both you an I have outlined above.

If he continues to win in LA then his odds will continue to go up. Winning a Super Bowl finally put him in the conversation but he still has a lot to prove before heā€™s a lock.

2 Likes

To me, the timing of this conversation isnā€™t right.
Heā€™s gonna kick a whole lot more ass, before itā€™s all said and done.

1 Like

I dont disagree on both points, my bald homie, but its the offseason and its a juicy topic! We canā€™t help ourselves!

1 Like

LOL - Woooord!

1 Like

FWIW, here is a list of current voters.

|Arizona|Kent Somers, Arizona Republic|
|Atlanta|Darryl Ledbetter, Atlanta Journal - Constitution|
|Baltimore|Scott Garceau, 105.7 The Fan/WMAR-TV|
|Buffalo|Vic Carucci, WGRZ-TV|
|Carolina|Darin Gantt, Carolina Panthers|
|Chicago|Dan Pompei, The Athletic*|
|Cincinnati|Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com|
|Cleveland|Tony Grossi, ESPNCleveland.com/WKNR Radio|
|Dallas|Rick Gosselin, Talk of Fame Network*#|
|Denver|Jeff Legwold, ESPN/ESPN.com*|
|Detroit|Dave Birkett, Detroit Free Press|
|Green Bay|Pete Dougherty, Green Bay Press-Gazette|
|Houston|John McClain, Houston Chronicle*|
|Indianapolis|Mike Chappell, Fox 59/CBS 4|
|Jacksonville|Sam Kouvaris, SamSportsLine.com|
|Kansas City|Vahe Gregorian, Kansas City Star|
|Las Vegas|Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange*|
|Los Angeles (Chargers)|Eric Williams, Sports Illustrated|
|Los Angeles (Rams)|Howard Balzer, Sports Illustrated#|
|Miami|Armando Salguero, Outkick.com|
|Minnesota|Mark Craig, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune|
|New England|Ron Borges, Talk of Fame Network*|
|New Orleans|Jeff Duncan, Times-Picayune|
|New York (Giants)|Bob Glauber, Newsday|
|New York (Jets)|Gary Myers, Author|
|Philadelphia|Paul Domowitch, the33rdteam.com/PhillyMag.com|
|Pittsburgh|Ed Bouchette, The Athletic|
|San Francisco|Matt Maiocco, CSNBayArea.com|
|Seattle|Mike Sando, The Athletic|
|Tampa Bay|Ira Kaufman, JoeBucsFan.com*|
|Tennessee|Paul Kuharsky, PaulKuharsky.com/Outkick360|
|Washington|Jarrett Bell, USA Today#|
|PFWA|Lindsay Jones, The Athletic|
|At-Large|Mary Cay Cabot, Cleveland Plain Dealer|
|At-Large|John Clayton, ESPN Seattle#|
|At-Large|Jason Cole, FanSided.com|
|At-Large|John Czarnecki, FOX Sports*|
|At-Large|Tony Dungy, NBC Sports Football Night in America (Hall of Famer)|
|At-Large|Dan Fouts, Broadcaster (Hall of Famer)|
|At-Large|Clark Judge, Talk of Fame Network|
|At-Large|Peter King, NBC Sports#|
|At-Large|James Lofton, CBS Sports (Hall of Famer)|
|At-Large|Alex Marvez, SiriusXM|
|At-Large|Bill Polian, SiriusXM (Hall of Famer)*|
|At-Large|Sal Paolantonio, ESPN#|
|At-Large|Lisa Salters, ESPN Monday Night Football|
|At-Large|Jim Trotter, NFL Network#|
|At-Large|Charean Williams, Pro Football Talk#|
|At-Large|Barry Wilner, Associated Press|

1 Like

Anyone else out there use the phrase why canā€™t the Lions get a QB like that or I wish the Lions had a QB like that while watching the Rams playoff run?

He looked like the same QB to me, so it never crossed my mind. I did find myself wondering why we couldnā€™t get some of the calls or no calls that I saw in that game though. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yep

So the athletic did an in-depth look at Stafford HofF odds.

Hereā€™s the link - you may need a subscription.

The article conclusion.

A poor situation in Detroit unquestionably held back Stafford. He still needs to enjoy a run of success during his career to become a Hall of Famer. This season was a spectacular start.

If Stafford were to win another Super Bowl, his credentials would align pretty closely with those for Eli Manning. Stafford turned 34 this month and basically needs three or four more strong individual seasons, accompanied by team success, to fit the established Hall of Fame template more meaningfully.

1 Like

I feel like 1 or w more seasons itā€™s iced, especially if one of them is a SB appearance!